Wikedeye's EJ b16 build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have been doing some research on turbo lately, and I am starting to think that sticking with the stock b16 cams is a better idea then the ctr cams for a turbo setup. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I know there is more overlap in the ctr cams which would mean more tuning to compensate. Would the extra lift be beneficial at that point or would I be spending more money on tuning then its actually worth?

Well I have the b16 cams already so if I dont have to spend money there then I dont want to. The gsr's I would still have to buy them.

Yea I think maybe the cost outways the benefit. I am just going to change my plans and put that money towards pistons and rods. Honda pistons have to be machined before you can connect them to aftermarket rods correct?

Yea I think maybe the cost outways the benefit. I am just going to change my plans and put that money towards pistons and rods. Honda pistons have to be machined before you can connect them to aftermarket rods correct?

You aren't planning on using stock cast pistons in a boosted engine are you?

I was until I read some things about how easily they can melt. I bought "how to tune and modify engine management systems" by jeff hartman, and it goes into detail about boost temperatures and why cast pistons are not a great idea. So no I am going to be purchasing a new set of rods and pistons.

I would suggest atleast doing a piston/rod engine. Sleeves are great but you can run moderate boost on stock sleeves and be fine. I'd venture to say stock sleeves are safe into the 500 range, with GREAT tuning. If it were me, I'd sleeve if I wanted more than 400. Cuz if you want 400, then you want 500 and so it goes.

Well my goal is only about 250 so I think I will pass on the sleeves. I might add a block guard just to be safe, I dont want my cylinders to shift.

Is a b16 tranny much better then a GSR tranny. I have this other thread going on another site and these two guys have been arguing for like two pages about what tranny is better. I know the b16 has shorter gear ratios, but would it actually be better in my setup? I trust peoples opinions here and would like to know what yours are.

Its all a matter of opinion as to which one is better. The B16 has the shortest gears, an LS trans has the longest, and the GS-R is right in the middle of the two. It all depends on how you want the car to drive.

You know I need to thing more about that, I dont really know what I am looking for in that area. I guess since I have the gsr tranny and it is in the middle it will be a good reference once I get the engine built. If I dont like it I can always change it.

Yep, a lotg of people seem to like them because they get the best of both the B16 and the LS, the GSR also has the strongest diff.;)

Well I guess there is no reason to worry about it now. If I plan to get more serious like start racing it then I can look at changing, but for now I should be happy.

Oh yea I got my crank pulley holder in today...still cant break the bolt so I guess I am just going to have to buy an impact wrench. I am sure it will come in handy for other things.

Last edited:
I took off the head today. Everything looks good. There is a shit ton of carbon deposits on the pistons and valves, but I guess that is what happens when you run an engine too rich. I still cant get the crank pulley off, I havent been able to buy an impact wrench yet, hopefully that will work. It looks like the internals are still stock (I was hoping for a few more nice surprises). When my girl gets home with the camera I will get a few pics.

I have been looking at sway bar set ups for my car, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether I really need a rear bar. I have a front bar, i just need control arms that will accept it.

You'd might as well. Since the eBay kits come with the rear ones anyway...
$100 and you'll definitely feel a difference.

Well I know it has been a while and I dont have anything to update as far as my car, but my girl friends mom just bought her son a fodo 93 that I now have to fix and get safe for daily driving. It has some body damage but for the most part it is in really good shape (engine). The brakes are shot, it needs a new ac condenser, and the timing belt is past due for a changing although it runs really well for having 200k on it. Anyway I like to learn so this will give me something to work on (and make some money).

Just a little update bump...I have been broke as shit because I just changed jobs and my new job sux so bad that I am kicking myself really hard. I just turned thirty on the 11th, and I am a little depressed about it. Also since I swapped the rear drums for discs I have had nothing but problems. I scrape the rear fender well anytime I hit a big bump, there is a REALLY annoying squeak somewhere on the rear pass. side suspension (maybe I didnt use enough grease), and my front calipers are sticking. I need to replace the calipers I guess. I had enough money to make some serious progress on my engine, but like I said my new job sux so bad that I have pretty much been living on my savings. The good news is that I am getting a job at a local tv station (which is what I have a degree in) so now that I am 30 I am going to get my career started. I have not smoked any cheeba in 9 days which is a record for me and I think I have kicked the habit. The fodo is coming along nicely. I made my first attempt at body work the other day and it went ok. I reshaped the front fender which was smashed up pretty good, and I fixed the brakes. Its funny my brakes suck, but my gf"s brother can stop on a dime. I am getting rid of the ek shell which means I can have some room in garage. Any way I will be more active in the weeks to come. I have made a few changes in the direction that I am going with the b16, but I will talk more about that later. For now I need to make some money because my baby is feeling a bit neglected.

Back