91 crx swap: 95 integra motor or D16Y8 vtec out of 98 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swey00

i think this would go here with it being about swapping a motor into my car??? if not i apologize and please move to correct forum.

what would be a better motor to use? a guy at work has a 90 civic hb with a motor out of a 95 integra(not real sure on year, just know it is an integra) for around $6-700 for the running car...or i saw a complete pullout from a 98 civic ex D16Y8 vtec motor with 91 civic tranny that was in a 91 civic hb for around $400, but i would have to drive a couple hours to pick it up so there would not be a real big difference in cost.

i do not know alot about the differences in any of the motors honda makes...i just know i have a 91 crx si with a rod knocking and it is my daily driver...i work on domestic cars all the time and have changed a couple transmissions on hondas so i can do the work.

so what is the mpg difference? power difference? basically i would like to know the pro's and con's of each one...both are around same price and are drop in kits pretty much

thanks for any and all help:cool:

Check the FAQ section or Wikipedia for engine specs. Mileage should be pretty similar, probably a little better on the Civic engine...

for the integra you'd have to buy another $700 dollars worth of mounts/hoses/cables/axles and anything else that your engine didn't come with. the hp on the integra is right in the range of 140, unless it's vtec, then 170. your engine can be rebuilt for less money than either of those options, or you can source another stock one to stick in there.

Back