92 accord best swap ( f20a , f22a6 , or f22b dohc)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92AccordJDM

im currently looking to swap out my current motor which is a f22a1 which i just recently just spun a bearing or bent a valve and i want to know what would be best ive found a f20a for 400 bucks and a f22b with tranny for 650 which is more suitable for me cause im looking for alot more power than the normal 125 from the a1 the f22b i have found is out of a 92-96 prelude and its the f22b doch non vtec. for some reason i am a honda owner that well choose a dohc non vtec over vtec the f22 im looking at is supposidly rated at 160 hp and 163 tq .i know i should be searching the fourms more but i dont know if any threads are comparing just these motors to each other so which could be better the f20a , f22b or the f22a6

The dual-cam F22B is going to be your best bet out of the three motors you listed...

ya ive been researching that motor since i had my coupe last year then got rid of it so havent looked into for a while and its a decent balance between the HP & Tq the only thing that could stop me from picking up the f22b is if i had to change the ecu along with it or if a f22a1 ecu could hold it over till i was able to pick one up

The F22A1 ECU should run it ok in the meantime. If you can't find an ECU specifically for the dual-cam F22B, then you can use one for a US-spec H23. That's essentially what the F22B is...

well its been awhile since ive been able to make it back here but i should have the f22b coming in soon and after searching more ive found that the ecu from the a1 well work with the 22b without a problem. and i dont believe ill have to get rid of my megan header either thank god. but ill be posting pics from the swap once i get it started and if i run into problems ill be back here asking what the hell i did wrong lmao.

ok so i have my motor coming in today and im looking to see if i should change anything over from my a1 to the f22b so that i can make it run the best as possible with the a1 ecu i know im gonna end up needing a chipped ecu to get the best performance out of it but what other small thing would help it run smoothly? i am already planing of taking the ac out since it hasnt worked for me idk if itll end up working after the swap? i know thatll take some stress off the motor not much but its something i almost never use reason for windows and moonroof.and the h23 ecu i would need to put a knock sensor in order to use that idk how much work that is ?

ive heard of other ecus working the h23 p13 ,the civic po6, but could i get the stock ecu chipped to run the car close to the performance it should be at?

The H23 ECU should run it pretty damn good, about as good as the factory one would. I don't know why you'd use a Civic ECU though. Those engines are 1.5 and 1.6 liters as opposed to the 2.2 liter engine you're putting in...I can't imagine that the fuel maps would be 100% ideal...

yeah i was gonna end up going with the h3 ecu. as for the civic one it was listed on cb7tuner on a f22b swap guide as putting it in after being chipped to run the right programs.but if i go with the h23 ive never seen the knock sensor put in before how is it put on wired or other?

look around the forums, you'll find out how to put a knock sensor in. its not hard and the wiring isnt much harder so i mean if your doin the h23 swap yourself a knock sensor shouldnt be a problem

p06 ecu

The p06 ecu on the h23 only when being chipped!
It is not used stock. The p06 is a chippable ECU as the PT3 (stock f22a1 ecu) is not chippable. Even the PT6 might be a better ECU cause it gets rid of speed govna and rev limiter, gettin rid of your limitations, and you can use it stock. I am not sure if the f22b Intake manifold has butterflies (Secondaries controlled by the IAB box) but if it does and you go with the PT6 ecu for now, you need to wire it up. Let me know and I can give you the info to wire it up!

But yah getting a chipped and tuned ecu will be the best bet!
good luck my friend!

Last edited:
Even the PT6 might be a better ECU cause it gets rid of speed govna and rev limiter, gettin rid of your limitations, and you can use it stock.

Unless your engine is built to rev super high and make power past the factory limits, then there's no point in removing those things. It's like asking for a blown engine...

Unless your engine is built to rev super high and make power past the factory limits, then there's no point in removing those things. It's like asking for a blown engine...

well hes doin a motor swap, at which point he should at least have the common sense to know which is too much. With the new engine having more hp and torque, im guessing under correct assumptions that he is going to rev higher, or he would be doing a direct engine change.

heres the main thing umm at the moment until i boost the f22b in the future the car is a auto so reving doesnt really matter that much.

well hes doin a motor swap, at which point he should at least have the common sense to know which is too much. With the new engine having more hp and torque, im guessing under correct assumptions that he is going to rev higher, or he would be doing a direct engine change.

You're an idiot. The point I made in my previous post is still completely applicable regardless of whether he swaps to a different engine or not. A different engine is going to have limits as well, and those limits shouldn't be exceeded unless the engine is properly rebuilt to do so...

Last edited:
im with brutal on this one cause the motors not built so pushing it too far on stock internals and everything isnt too smart.

ok so i think im gonna end up trying to use the stock ecu for a while as on many other sites ive read that it runs pretty good on the ecu and still pulls pretty hard. im gonna try and get some pics of the progress so far could of had the motor in but im kida lacking a hoist.

ok so on many other sites im reading that the distributor well have to be wired to work as a internal with the coil but well i have to do this if the motor came with the stock f22b distributor?

Back