B18a/b ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
does it matter if you get a b18a or b18b block for an ls/vtec setup???
i dont run a knock sensor.. so i don't forsee any real difference between the blocks... anyone??

I don't know for sure. I don't know if the sensors are different. You might be able to use the OBD0 bottom, but i have never tried so I cannot confirm.

use a B18B, the first gen B18A's have 130hp, the 2nd has 140, and the B18B's have 142hp. Not only do the B18b's have more horsepower, but they're newer and should have less miles on the motor. Get the 1st gen B18B cause those r obd1. After 97 its obd2.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Apr 10 2003, 09:20 PM
use a B18B, the first gen B18A's have 130hp, the 2nd has 140, and the B18B's have 142hp. Not only do the B18b's have more horsepower, but they're newer and should have less miles on the motor. Get the 1st gen B18B cause those r obd1. After 97 its obd2.

that doesnt matter in a ls/vtec. as long as the dimensions are the same, its all good.

yeah the blocks are pretty similar. its the heads that are different, and even then they aren't really different.

the b18b's gained a little more aggressive cam, and they stepped up to 10mm intake ports(up from 9.7mm).

im running b18a block with 94 gsr head
knock sensor plugs righ in.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 12 2003, 11:22 PM
the block has no sensors. its all on the head. either will work fine

Actually the B18A does. Oil pressure sender, and a thermostat are both on the back of the block.

i have a 92 ls in my obd0 car and i dont even use the coolant sensor with the green plug on the block.. nothin is plugged in it. it runs fine. u can use either of the years.

ok. so i found a complete 94 LS engine that is dissasembled for a good price. i'm going to pick it up on wed.!!! thanks guys

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Apr 15 2003, 02:21 AM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Apr 13 2003, 06:25 PM
pissedoffsol
@Apr 12 2003, 11:22 PM
the block has no sensors. its all on the head. either will work fine

Actually the B18A does. Oil pressure sender, and a thermostat are both on the back of the block.

right, but the harness doesn't plug into either of those

???

I don't know what harness you are using, but mine sure does.

i worded that all wrong.

I'm pretty sure the plugs are the same though, even through it changes obd. its not a sensor that has changed. so it will plug right in with either harness.

or am i wrong?

One is the same. Honda moved the other one to the Thermostat housing, so it doesn't hook up. This is comparing OBD0 to OBD1, my OBD2 B20Z had the same plugs as OBD1. So it doesn't matter it will hook up even though it has sensors on the block.

Back