b18a1 problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skillz2k5

My womans 92 teg just died the other day. They were driving down the street and just put put... dead. So I go to check it out and it's throwing no codes, fuel pump runs, fuel comes out of the return line off the rail and the ignition coil does spark when a ground wire ran to it. So we have fuel and spark... well at least to the coil. We didn't get any spark out of the plugs so the wires were swapped with known working wires and new ngk plugs. Still no fire. Motor turns over fine and sounds like compression is good. All the electric stuff works so it's not a bad ground or battery. I would very much appreciate some suggestions here as I am at the end of my rope. The motor is stock and never been swapped. The only thing I can possibly think of is the points inside the dizzy cap were nasty so I cleaned them up and still nothing. Also the out side edges of the screw holes on the dizzy cap are cracked but do not think this would make a difference.

igniter?? Well ICM... Igniter... same thing I guess. I'm pretty sure I would get no spark at the coil if that was the case. Could be wrong but thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts??

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking but the coil still has spark. Any one have anything else before I go spending 200 on a new dizzy??

well here in alabama when you buy one from advance auto if it dont fix the problem they will give you your money back

Well I have an obd0 b series dizzy that I could change the plugs on so I dont have to waste money but dont know if it will fit. As far as I know it's for the b18a1 and the only difference is obd so I could just rewire the plugs to fit. Any thoughts about this??

Okay so I swapped dizzies and now I have spark. Fuel pressure is good. The car started twice, both times for about three seconds or less and died. Then the battery seemed dead and wasn't turning over very well. So we tried to jump and nothing. Car is back to turning over and nothing else. I thought maybe timing but the dizzy only fits in one way so dont know how this could be... pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me...

if its getting spark and not starting still or starting only for a few secs then dies I had the same issue with an accord i worked on and it was a main relay under the dash, dont know if that helps but that was my problem

hmmmm... never crossed my mind. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone know if the main relay from ninety teg will work in a ninety two??

Back