Brads DB8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I like the wing too. I don't like big wings and that one is on the verge of being too big. The small wing is my choice. The back end is very rounded off from a profile view. IMO, the wing gives it a more race inspired look.

Love K1s, and I like the ITR wing on the 4 door. Forget the stupid visor thing and keep it clean and slick looking. Shaving moldings and emblems is always nice.

15" ahah I would have '97 ITR wheels before those anyways
I like the wing too. I don't like big wings and that one is on the verge of being too big. The small wing is my choice. The back end is very rounded off from a profile view. IMO, the wing gives it a more race inspired look.
This. :thumbsup:
Love K1s, and I like the ITR wing on the 4 door. Forget the stupid visor thing and keep it clean and slick looking. Shaving moldings and emblems is always nice.

It seems like a crappy tedious job to shave+fill the moulding holes aha but I'm into it

And if I could stumble upon a '98 rear bumper and red tail lights that would be great. That chrome trim is pretty dope

2190164663_902878fc9e_z_zps68b5e574.jpg

How hard was it to replace the radiator support? I'm sick of my car looking at me with it's Ace Ventura eyebrow.

Super easy with a spot weld drill bit and a mig welder. I just did the T bar not the whole rad support, I was afraid of alignment issues and strength

I mean, I've actually seen people drill completely through where it was welded and actually bolt it back together. IDK about the strength of that method though.

Thinking of painting the car myself...we shal see

So I've also been thinking of a color scheme, opinions?

IMG_1421_zps5fdb609a.jpg

IMG_1649_zpsbde423fc.jpg

IMG_1666_zps982884de.jpg

Last edited:
If your shop is heated and insulated and you have the tools, I'd paint the car yourself.

2x6 frame with insulation 100% around, not heated yet but we have a wood stove waiting for it (have to cut the hole pretty much). Id make a plastic house inside the shop for the car then we have a large fan for ventilation then add a couple furnace filters. I have an air compressor with a line filter + regulator and a cheap HVLP gun, two guns actually lol, tried it once

Sceptical about painting a metallic color...and it being my first time, I suppose I could practice haha

Last edited:
2x6 frame with insulation 100% around, not heated yet but we have a wood stove waiting for it (have to cut the hole pretty much). Id make a plastic house inside the shop for the car then we have a large fan for ventilation then add a couple furnace filters. I have an air compressor with a line filter + regulator and a cheap HVLP gun, two guns actually lol, tried it once

Sceptical about painting a metallic color...and it being my first time, I suppose I could practice haha

I probably wouldn't mess around with a cheap HVLP gun. I had a Harbor Freight special that I painted my wheels with, that's about as much trust as I'd invest into one of those. The line filter on the compressor is usually enough, but a nice gun will also have a trap on the bottom of it to catch any extra water that may have squeaked past the compressor's filter. Can't remember if my HF special had one or not.

The key to paint is the prep work. Use a good sealer and a sandable primer so that you can do a couple guide coats and get it nice and flat. If you do this, your final cut and buff will go much faster and yield better results. Rushing the initial prep is probably the worst thing you can do for the quality of your paint job.

Also, the shop needs to be CLEAN. You can wet the floor before painting to keep the dust down, but definitely do not spray with puddles of water on the ground. Wait until it has dried to the point of just being damp.

There's nothing too tricky about a metallic base - I did a metallic base for my first paint and it went just fine. Laying the paint down is actually the easy part IMO. The clear can be tricky if you don't have the mixture right or you're out of the ideal temperature range. I actually only had one run in the clear coat of my car and it was on the front bumper. I painted that on a different day that the body of the car and just went over one spot twice on accident.

It sounds tough, but get a little practice in and you'll do just fine ;)

Been caught up in work and christmas lately but thanks for that bit of explanation Matt, thats awesome and what I need to know.

Looks like I have a test subject too lol...oops

IMG_1776_zps3c194fb6.jpg

IMG_1777_zps5e613d80.jpg

Out in the sticks drinking beers with the guys...got over confident (truck impressed the hell outta me that night) and tired to push a fallen tree blocking a trail. Had a 2" round sticking out of the grille resting against the condenser for about an hour before I realized. Got lucky it didn't pierce anything!

Back