Couple Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

well, its that time, and im gonna get rid of the stock suspension on my civic. already decided im gonna get the tein type ss kit from jason. on sunday i jacked my car up just to make sure that i could do the install, and this is what i saw:

s3e220fc4af3d6.jpg

thats one messed up camber huh?

well, now im thinking that along with ordering the teins from jason, ill order the skunk2 camper correction kit. also, to cut some costs down, ill install it, and have some shop adjust it for me. can i do that. install it and then take it somewere to have it adjusted?

lastly, since i need new tires, im gonna go ahead and get new rims. rota slipstreams im thinkin. maybe circut 8. what do you guys think, black, or gunmetal?

s3e24e4eb28f38.jpg

s3e24e505a3054.jpg

Black all the way.
You can install it yourself and drive it to a shop. Your tires are shot anyways. What exactly are you doing to your suspension? You might not need a camber kit. It all depends if you are going to be lowering your car and by how much. You might only need a wheel alignment and that might be it.

on the skunk2 camber kit make sure u use loctite or something equivelant on the adjustable bolts. those bad boys are known to slip alot. just a heads up...

Good photoshop work :)

I would go with blacks. I like the red "shoping cart reflector" things.. whatever they are. Anti door ding bars.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 15 2003, 03:20 AM
I like the red "shoping cart reflector" things.. whatever they are. Anti door ding bars.

lol

i think the black looks good too, but i thought i would get an opinion. heres the funny part: my parents hate the black ones, and my mom said she would pay half if i got the gun metal ones. lol. and the ones my dad likes are 17" and weigh like 25 pounds. lol, so i'll be gettin the black ones.

my grandpa (ex-mechanic) told me that i might not need a camber kit, and i might need my wheels aligned. so im gonna go down there, and have them look at it, and see what they tell me.

thanks guys

ill be sure to post pics when im done.

Originally posted by thuy@Jan 15 2003, 01:54 AM
What exactly are you doing to your suspension? You might not need a camber kit. It all depends if you are going to be lowering your car and by how much. You might only need a wheel alignment and that might be it.

im getting the tein type ss coilovers, and lowering it to their specifications -- about 1.5 inches. i had done my research about lowering and camber. but i thought since my camber was already jacked that when i lower it, it will get worse. unless my stock old dampers are effecting it?

you should be able to tell just by looking at the slant of the wheels if you will need a camber kit or not. park it on level ground and see if there is any detectable slant in your wheel profile. if not, you dont need a kit. i've got -3 degrees camber and you can barely see the slant. its so shallow that i havent had any real tire wear problems. you have to really look to see that the tire wear is uneven. i know my degree of camber because the alignment shop printed it out for me. my back camber is still within factory specs, even though it is lowered 1.5 inches. the front is lowered 1.75. (89 crx)

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Jan 15 2003, 01:36 PM
you should be able to tell just by looking at the slant of the wheels if you will need a camber kit or not. park it on level ground and see if there is any detectable slant in your wheel profile. if not, you dont need a kit. i've got -3 degrees camber and you can barely see the slant. its so shallow that i havent had any real tire wear problems. you have to really look to see that the tire wear is uneven. i know my degree of camber because the alignment shop printed it out for me. my back camber is still within factory specs, even though it is lowered 1.5 inches. the front is lowered 1.75. (89 crx)

well, obviously i need a camber kit dont you think? i didnt look to see if they looked slanted, but there is obviously no tread on the inside of the tire. when i got this car back in june of 02, it had new tires.

Originally posted by eyesonlybob+Jan 15 2003, 02:49 PM-->
rixXxceboy
@Jan 15 2003, 01:36 PM

well, obviously i need a camber kit dont you think? i didnt look to see if they looked slanted, but there is obviously no tread on the inside of the tire. when i got this car back in june of 02, it had new tires.

that could just be bad alignment though. too much toe out will do the same thing to your tires. that happened to my tires before...and that was before i lowered my car. if it was your camber doing that, there should be some visible slanting.

well, i just ordered my teins and rotas from jason...now what wheels should i get?

stock on my car is 175/70/13

here are the options for the rotas:

195/50/15
205/50/15

im thinkin go with the wider 205 ones. good choice? thanks.

so since the rotas are 15 x 6.5 i should get the 195 tires? the guy at discount tire told me both of those options. why whould i get the 195 vs. the 205 if they will both fit?

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Jan 16 2003, 08:59 AM
so since the rotas are 15 x 6.5 i should get the 195 tires? the guy at discount tire told me both of those options. why whould i get the 195 vs. the 205 if they will both fit?

Go to the reference section and look up the wheel calculator.

It will take you to some Miata site (still works) and show you what the difference between the wheels/tires will be. It's a little flash thing or Java or something.

ok, i see the difference in the tires...but which ones are better the 195 or 205?

B said that the 195 were for 15" tires, but both of them will fit. so which ones are better?

My stock size is 195/60/R15. I went with some 205-series tires last time around, and I found I had some problems with roll-under during hard cornering. Great for drag racing, though (more rubber on the ground). So, I've got my stock size back on the fronts with the oversized on the rears (since I'm poor and couldn't afford 4 new ones). I can feel the rears still roll under while cornering hard, but the fronts are doing just fine.

Just my experience.

Back