FMU and Hondata?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

livinlow

I've talked to a couple people who had said that they would run Hondata and an FMU together. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then again I don't know. My plan was to run a walbro 255lph (high pressure or not?) fuel pump with 550 injectors with the aem fuel rail, filter, and pressure regulator and it was my understanding that the hondata s200b would control the fuel pressure from there based on boost. Am I wrong? probably making myself look like a dumb ass but I'm trying to figure this out.

Your ECU controls fuel injection and timing based on engine load (vacuum/boost) and RPM. Running an FMU with Hondata isn't a good idea. There are some engine management systems that work without load measuring, in such sense that they act like a variable disc FMU.

You wont need it.

if you're talking to people running a setup like this, i suggest you stop talking to them-- at least for car tech advice.

throw the fmu out, get some properly sized injectors, and let hondata do the rest.

Originally posted by livinlow@Oct 25 2004, 01:06 AM
My plan was to run a walbro 255lph (high pressure or not?) fuel pump with 550 injectors with the aem fuel rail, filter, and pressure regulator and it was my understanding that the hondata s200b would control the fuel pressure from there based on boost. Am I wrong? probably making myself look like a dumb ass but I'm trying to figure this out.
[post=406948]Quoted post[/post]​

screw the aem rail - worthless.
screw the aem filter- worthless.

either pump will work for you, you'll top out the 550cc injectors before the pump anyway.

hondata has no fuel pressure control whatsoever. that is maintained by the FPR on the rail.

hondata does control the duty cycle and thus, volume, of fuel.

throw the fmu out, save some cash on the worthless rail and filter

What pump would I want to run if I wanted to upgrade to a bigger turbo at some time? At that point would the high pressure make a differenece and make getting bigger sized fuel lines appropriate? I planed on throwing everything but the injectors on and then run the wastegate open so I could drive the car approx. 10 miles to where the Hondata was going to be installed and then run on the dyno. Then install the injectors when I got there not to flood out the car. Is this going to work?

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RUN A WASTEGATE OPEN.

your turbo will cook it self, you will over boost, bad things will happen.

just DONT boost. stay under 3k and avoid engine load as much as you can.

the 255lph pump supports 450-ish, the 255lph hp supports about 600 ish, give or take

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 26 2004, 06:09 AM
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RUN A WASTEGATE OPEN.

your turbo will cook it self, you will over boost, bad things will happen.

[post=407519]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you reffering to open wastegate as in no dump tube or no wastegate at all on the flange of the manifold?
:unsure:

could go either way. sounds like no wg at all...yet after i read it again, sounds like the wastegate is just open, not allowing for the turbo to build boost past the spring rated psi.

OPEN WASTEGATE = no vac source hooked to it. with no lead, it will never bleed off exhaust gases, and thus constantly spool you

it will spool into either it makes 324234 psi and your motor blows, you let it come down from 50,000 rpms, or the turbo cooks itself

I was just talking about leaving the spring tightened to the lowest setting on the trip down to get the hondata installed and then throw it on the dyno. I may not explain myself well sometimes but I have enough sense to have the wastegate vacuum lines hooked up, as well as having the wastegate on the manifold. I'll just keep the rpm low and stay out of boost. Thanks for the help.

yup,keep it under 3k ish and on low throttle and you won't boost hardly at all. 1 or 2 psi at half throttle is nothing to worry about. but for the most part you'll have no problem staying in vacuum so long as your turbo isn't the smallest thing in the planet.

you could also just drive to where the hondata is at without the charge line on. :shrug2:

Back