Front Upper Ball Joints

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BombSquad91

I have an '89 Civic DX Hatch. Are the ball joints in the front upper control arm replaceable or do I have to buy the control arm with the ball joint in it?I ordered this from Rockauto:
More Information for MEVOTECH MK90492
Mevotech Part #MK90492
I have a 12ton [COLOR=#990000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#990000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]shop[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] press so pressing it out is not a problem. It just doesn't LOOK like it presses out. And the new one doesn't look like it presses in. Help.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...imagephpb.jpg/

I just found that out. I was doing some research and I came across a instructions on how to install adjustable camber upper ball joints. The top of the page said this:

Honda Accord and Civic
Adjustable Upper Ball Joint Installation Instructions
CAUTION: A very limited number of Honda Civic/CRX vehicles from 1988-1990 were produced with the upper ball joint welded to the
control arm. The adjustable ball joint can not be used on these vehicles.

Whatever you decide - replace everything as the rubber bushings will be shot if the ball joints are. They aren't very expensive. Not really worth screwing with to just replace ball joints only.

What did you do? Ball joints only or the whole upper arm assembly? I have a 20 ton press and there's some suspension components I won't mess with at home. Did a pulyurethane bushing job on the whole chassis a couple of years ago and the lower control arms (front and rear) were nasty and went to machine shop.

Not suggesting that about the upper BJ's - just making chat.

All of them. I bought the Energy Suspension full bushing kit and a few extras that weren't in the kit. I pushed them out and in myself. I didn't buy the bushing pieces for the press either. I just used a couple of sockets.

Awesome! I did a full Energy Suspension polyurethane kit install on my 1991 Civic Si hatch. Did the same thing, pipe couplings, sockets, whatever I could find.

The LCA's on mine where the shocks mount were scary so I took them to the machine shop. I cranked the press up to 9000 PSI and that's maxed out and they didn't budge.

The polyurethane bushings are great!

Back