Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

247962_152148694857513_100001871518109_331663_4513257_n.jpg
:rolleyes:

All too often. It's ok, I'd rather have weeds, fruit, and veggies then to have just a bunch of empty dirt.

All too often. It's ok, I'd rather have weeds, fruit, and veggies then to have just a bunch of empty dirt.
True. I'm no one to talk though, lol, because my garden is full of them right now and I've been putting it off for a week now. The last two times i've pulled weeds, i've gotten a bad migraine the next day or two so I'm not really looking forward to doing it again.

are you staying hydrated while your pulling weeds?
Yea. I'm only talking about maybe half hour tops. I'm starting to think I'm developing some serious allergies or something. I've been having more and more sinus issues and when they get bad i'm basically worthless for a day or so until I get it to clear up. I know it's not a regular migraine, but it's pretty much the same feeling with most of the same symptoms.

try wearing one of those outdoor masks. homedepot sells 'em for like 50 cents.
MSA Safety Works Non Toxic Dust Masks 5 Pack - 10028549 at The Home Depot

Get an n95 with 2 straps, those masks are basically useless if allergies are bad. Also, those mask loose their effectiveness if you have facial hair or aren't clean shaven.

Jeffie that is messed up.

My veggies seem to be growing a little, I might have to do some transplanting or thinning mine might be alittle over crowded.

Get an n95 with 2 straps, those masks are basically useless if allergies are bad. Also, those mask loose their effectiveness if you have facial hair or aren't clean shaven.

Jeffie that is messed up.

My veggies seem to be growing a little, I might have to do some transplanting or thinning mine might be alittle over crowded.

I tend to say messed up stuff :ph34r:

B just needs to start messaging my wife. She'll be more then happy to get his garden up and running. Her family can't live if the stuff doesn't grow. They make it happen... life or death.

Here's what I've picked so far:
2011-06-26_11-01-12_121.jpg

And this is what I made last night:
DLM_6903.jpg

Catfish fillet w/ a peppercorn/lime/butter pan sauce, cilantro lime jasmine rice, and a mix of yellow squash, zucchini, and snow peas cooked in the wok until they were just barely tender.

I just made a simple little salad with the cucumber, tomato and oil & vinegar. It's in the fridge for a few but I did have a piece of the cucumber already and i can't believe how much better home grown ones are than the crap at the store.

nice.

I got a few things making some size now. still no fruits, but its been rainy and cold up until this week.

269769_10150243085025606_501130605_7248092_3119768_n.jpg

got some wild berries growing on my fence too :)

264830_10150243083495606_501130605_7248088_2027760_n.jpg

wild berries are awesome. So you ended up replanting everything or what?

A lot of it just came back, but i did put in some extras from the starters i had left over, and even just dumped some seeds intot he ground directly. Those seeds direct seem to be doing the best, which makes me question if the starter plants are worth it at all.

I need to weed the thing pretty bad, but i'm not sure whats a weed and whats a real plant half the time. they are all the same size :(

A lot of it just came back, but i did put in some extras from the starters i had left over, and even just dumped some seeds intot he ground directly. Those seeds direct seem to be doing the best, which makes me question if the starter plants are worth it at all.

I need to weed the thing pretty bad, but i'm not sure whats a weed and whats a real plant half the time. they are all the same size :(
I waited a while to weed mine for the same reason. I'd have been pissed if I accidentally pulled up a good plant. As far as the starter plants, I know the climate is pretty different for you, but my family has always grown quite a bit of stuff in the garden and I can't remember a single time when anyone used starter plants.

Those arent wild berries on the fence, theyre rasberries,wait until they turn a dark purple, rinse in cool water and enjoy.

Those arent wild berries on the fence, theyre rasberries,wait until they turn a dark purple, rinse in cool water and enjoy.
raspberries are a berry, the plant is not something he planted, so i called them wild berries...:shrug2:

in other news.... If any of you haven't ever tried squash blossoms, they are fucking awesome. I cut a few off the other day to have with a quinoa/cucumber/goat cheese/olive wrap that I made using one of the cucumbers. With the blossoms, I took some fresh plum, chopped it, and mixed it with the goat cheese to a smooth consistency. Then I just used a ziploc as a piping bag to fill the blossoms. Then, I used a simple batter of flour and white wine, dipped the blossoms in it and deep fried them for about 1.5-2 min. Good shit, I can't wait to cut some more off and try something different with them.

DLM_6910.jpg

DLM_6919.jpg

Never heard of eating the squash blossoms.. I might have to try that!

I've been growing peppers the last couple of years. Last year I had 3 Jalapeno plants and one Habanero plant that put out more peppers than I knew what to do with! I ended up smoking them all, drying them out, and powderizing them.. Best spices I've ever had!

This year I'm running 8 Jalapenos, 3 habs, and 2 Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's. Yup, you read that right, imported from the hippy seed company in australia, the hottest peppers on the planet!!

So far I have nice healthy hab plants with no habs, but I've already started harvesting the jalapenos and using them here and there. The trinidads grow S L O W. They are each about 6-7" tall after 2.5 months.

All of my plants are grown in 11" terracotta pots. This is so I can move them around, and have 100% control over what goes into them. I'm planning on moving the Butch T's indoors under artificial light in the winter. We'll see how that goes.

Back