help im scared

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Can anyone tell me which swap is the easiest for a 95 dx? Just got it and would like to do a gsr swap but im kind of unsure of myself. Is it that hard or am i just being a pussy? I just dont want to fuk it all up. Thanks

your being a pussy.

Get the same OBD, that is always the best way to go unless your getting an ITR swap, which in that case run it obd1. For the gsr swap, there really is nothing that you have to do. Basicly it is the same thing as a b16 swap except instead of sending 4 wires through the firewall, you have to send 6 through. All you really do is find a spot to send the wires through, then put some pins on the end of each wire, then stick them in a little slot. There your done. It is so easy.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 19 2004, 06:49 AM
your being a pussy.

Get the same OBD, that is always the best way to go unless your getting an ITR swap, which in that case run it obd1. For the gsr swap, there really is nothing that you have to do. Basicly it is the same thing as a b16 swap except instead of sending 4 wires through the firewall, you have to send 6 through. All you really do is find a spot to send the wires through, then put some pins on the end of each wire, then stick them in a little slot. There your done. It is so easy.

Werd

Real easy, just do some research and make sure you have a good idea of what you're about to do, and you'll be fine.

Read this for the mechanics of the swap, and get back here with us, for the wiring, I have a good link for some of it.

What axles , shift linkage, Wiring harness, motor mounts, or is there somewhere you know of that I can get a complete parts list for this swap. It is a dx so it doesn't have vtec if that matters and also do I just replace my stock ecu with p72?
Sorry for the noob questions here but i'm trying to learn. Thanks for all your help

Originally posted by Steve EF Hatch@Mar 19 2004, 07:21 PM
What axles , shift linkage, Wiring harness, motor mounts, or is there somewhere you know of that I can get a complete parts list for this swap. It is a dx so it doesn't have vtec if that matters and also do I just replace my stock ecu with p72?
Sorry for the noob questions here but i'm trying to learn. Thanks for all your help

You need b-series axles either out of a 94+ Integra, 99+ Civic SI, 94-97 Del sol VTEC, or if you go JDM, any b-series civic 92+.

For linkages it is the same except if you have a civic, you can not run the Del sol VTEC. Only del Sol's can run the del Sol VTEC linkages, and they can not run anything else.

For motor mounts...

s404ccc4f09c70.jpg

for wiring harness, if your going to do an OBD1 engine swap with an OBD1 engine and car (easiest route BY FAR) just run the engine harness that comes on the engine.

Since you said your leaning towards a GSR, just run the p72 ECU, then run a few wires. There is a wiring swap article about the six wires that you will have to run for this swap. It is really simple to do. Dont let the wiring scare you. Since yoru car did not have VTEC, all you have to do is run 2 extra wires (6 wires if you dont have VTEC, 4 wires if you do for a GSR swap) Basicly you hunt for the colors, find it, clip it and strip the wire, solder a peice of wire thats is 4-5 ft, find a hole in the firewall and just run the wire through. once your done, put the pins on, or solder some on from old clips, then stick them in the little holes. There are little maps or "pin outs" for the ECU. Basicly it is set up in a quardinats system, and you just hunt for the one called d-23 or something like that.

Thats cool man thanks for all your help. I have lost a bit of my confidence I was relying on my dad who was a mechanic to fix whatever I fuked up but he passed away like two weeks ago so I am just nervous aboout fuking up my car and having to pay someone to fix it. But anyway thanks alot I'm going to try it this summer

sorry to hear about your dad.

Really, if you take your time, there really isn't alot that you can fuck up with an engine swap. your not really messing with clearance specs, and all that kind of stuff. Basicly you just unclip a few harnesses, pulll the axles, unbolt some mounts then lift.

Also, one of the more challanging parts but something that you MUST do, when you do your swap, unless you know the exact history of the engine (like if you bought it from a freind or something like that) You MUST do a timing belt and water pump. This you should have a helms for, but if you follow the steps its is not that hard, and its even easier since you have the engine out of the car. Also, I recomend doing a clutch, and if your budjet allows, also do a light weight flywheel. These two tasks are 043850348503 times easier when the engine is out of the car.

Have a freind who is good with cars help you and it will be quite simple and you'll learn a ton in the process. Really as long as the freind has about the same knowledge as you, you will do fine.

Give yourself some time and cash to do it......
There's always extras you need to buy, which you don't think off of the get-go....
Don't limit your budget.....

Have patience ..... cause it never goes smoothly .......

Reseach like a mofo....... know your stuff in and out..... wiring to motor mounts..... or you may know somebody that has done it before, buy em' a coffee and have them help ya', or guide you ......... be prepared to learn.....

Originally posted by civic_types@Mar 19 2004, 10:20 PM
Give yourself some time and cash to do it......
There's always extras you need to buy, which you don't think off of the get-go....
Don't limit your budget.....

Have patience ..... cause it never goes smoothly .......

Reseach like a mofo....... know your stuff in and out..... wiring to motor mounts..... or you may know somebody that has done it before, buy em' a coffee and have them help ya', or guide you ......... be prepared to learn.....

really thats just it. Read up as much as possible. Go and read peoples "just swaped post"

here are my swap pics/hints My GSR swap

If you do your homework ahead of time, it should go pretty smoothly. I bet you can ask b or Pills, I have been wanting to do a swap for probally a year before I did my swap. Really, by the time I actually did it, other then having to fabricate some hoses, I had no hick-ups. We did have to search for a while for some of the wires (I had to run 4 wires) but other then that it went fine. The last thing that really happened was when we were going to put the tire rods on, one of the threads was fubared so I had to wait till that part came in.

Sorry to hear about your father, it sucks I went through that a few years ago. DO your research as they said. The engine swap is pretty easy if you have basic mechanical skills and are willing to take a risk. Sisteve and I who never did an engine swap did two engine swap in my old civic within a week. (the first motor was blown, I got screwed. When you buy an engine check it out throughly and make sure there arent any signs of it being abused like under the valve cover and oil pan it shouldn't be black) This was the first swap for both of us and it was pretty easy.

also, if you did not catch it in my ealier posts, GET A HELMS

Helms are the offical service manual made by honda. It is 1000 + pages and has info on EVERYTHING you may need to know. I beilve there website is helmsinc.com

What helms do I need one for the civic or one for a teg since thats what the motor is coming out of? And also thanks for the sympathy its been tough but what can you do I lost my mom when I was 14 and now my dad at 26 but there is nothing you can do about it but go on. But anyway I really appreciate everything :thumbsup:

The best answer is for both the car and the book for the car the engine came out of. You could also try looking in the regional forums and seeing if any guys in there would be willing to help you swap, you never know.

www.helminc.com There you go, one for your car, and one for the motors car. Also sorry to hear about your father man, that sucks. Good luck.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 20 2004, 03:18 AM
www.helminc.com There you go, one for your car, and one for the motors car. Also sorry to hear about your father man, that sucks. Good luck.

really, I think that you can get buy on just an integra manual (if your getting a GSR or LS engine) Really, other then a little body work and interior, integras are civics.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Mar 20 2004, 02:09 PM-->
@Mar 20 2004, 03:18 AM

really, I think that you can get buy on just an integra manual (if your getting a GSR or LS engine) Really, other then a little body work and interior, integras are civics.

True, with the swap, but if anything related to the body comes up, it's nice to have the one for it. I have found myself trying to find Civic stuff in my Del Sol manual a couple times and throwing it across the room bcause it wasn't in there :)

planning is key, making sure you have everything needed, and thoroughly research out your topic, such as what your doing now.

Back