help with 90 hatchback engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

defie420

Have a 90 hatchback with 1.5 motor and 5 speed lookin to drop new motor in. what would be the easiest swap? want sumthin that will drop in. i know i will have to change ecu and harness but what else will i need?

If you are going to stick with the D-series, the D16A6 is the easiest to do. All you have to do is swap from DPFI to MPFI. Everything else should be good to go. That will probably be your easiest route.

You could also just replace it with the D15B2 and call it a day. You wouldn't have to change anything if you went that route.

The D16A6 is the Si motor from the 88-91 Civics. They will provide you with a noticable amount of improvement over your stock D15B2.

The other option is to do a D16Z6. They are popular motor swaps and can be had for a reasonable price. Not too hard to install and will be more than you have now without killing your pocket or needing much modification.

hey thanks i actually saw a D16Z6 with tranny for sale on craigslist for like 650 obo with tranny and other parts

will tha D16Z6 drop in ? sorry im pickin ur brain but thanks for tha help

D16a6 (non-vtec) block with D16z6 (vtec) head will produce more compression ratio than a straight z6 swap. I am doing an a6/y8 swap and my CR will be at 11.1:1cr (as opposed to the 9.1:1 CR. I'm not 100% on this fact but just ask around if it is true. By the way an a6/y8 is MUCH harder to do than an a6/z6 swap FYI. That is a fact I know 100%. If you plan on doing an a6/z6 swap or just straight z6 swap contact monotech for your DPFI-MPFI swap harness, as well as I think he does the OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness. Good luck. Let us know if you plan on doing this swap and I will be able to help you out no problem!!.

Parts list for a6/z6 swap:
-DPFI-MPFI swap
-P28 ECU
-OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness
-4-wire o2 sensor (as opposed to your 1-wire o2 sensor)
-D16z6 (TD-42U) distributor and z6 wires
-d16z6 Intake manifold and throttle body
**you can use the a6 intake manifold and throttle body, but the z6 will be better**
-OBD1 injectors for D16z6, -and- OBD0 injectors for D16a6.
**make sure your pigtails (connectors to injectors) match the injectors**

That's all I can think of right now because I have to goto my next class. Post again for help and your plans!.

Last edited:
hey, i read wat u guys are talking about, and i have a ef hatch d15b1, and i really want to do either a d16z6, or z6 head swap. Plz help me out bucause this is my first car and im new to swapping/biulding.

I listed a lot of the parts needed, but if you need help start a new thread and I can help you on there. I am doing the exact same swap. You goto "jump forums" goto "engine building" then click on the "New Thread" button and start one there, after it is made reply in this thread with the name of it and I will be more than happy to help you out!.

Do a DOHC ZC swap, bolts right in, can use stock trans, or the better Si trans. The ZC has 135 HP stock, just do the DPFI to MPFI and the only wiring change is a simple wire change on the distributor. I have a ZC and after the basic bolt ons it has 165 HP. You'll enjoy it more.

Do you have cams?. I know those are not basic bolt-ons but I think those are a really good investment for a DOHC because you can change both the intake and exhaust. With the right tune on a DOHC engine you can run a lot more than your current hp.

I agree 100% with the DOHC ZC Swap, great motor for the price, and the fact it drops right in with the stock mounts, tranny, and shift linkage unlike a B Series where u have to swap all that out. You can get the complete swap from osakajdmmotors.com for 650$ ecu, tranny axels.

With that swap wouldn't you have to swap to a new spindle assembly to accept the new axles?. I just got thinking of that.

Back