JRSC Tuning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
I'm wanting to lean out my air/fuel mixture in lower rpm's with my supercharger setup. It's running a bit rich right now. Would a VAFC be a good way to go?
A little background info. Jackson Racing Supercharger on a D16Y8 (stock internals). There is absolutely no one within 8 hours who can dyno tune. And I'm new to any type of tuning. So I'm thinking either of going with a P28 and using a VAFC for some self tuning or either going with a chipped P28 from Phearable.net and using their recommended basemap for a supercharger setup.
Would a chipped ecu be able to do a good enough job for my car or should I attempt tuning myself? I'm on a sub $300 budget. The car runs fine and dependable now but I want to get the most out of my setup.

phearable.net is overpriced.

xenocron.com is your better bet.

are you running a fmu?? if o, you can actually bleed boost away from your fmu with a ball valve leaning out the mixture by reducing fuel pressure.

afc hack is a terrible solution as it advances your timing to unsafe levels.

your best bet is a chipped p28 or converted po6 running a good map.

like i said, phearable.net is overpriced badly, and i know xenocron personally and his stuff is top notch for way less money.

Quoted post[/post]]
phearable.net is overpriced.

xenocron.com is your better bet.

are you running a fmu?? if o, you can actually bleed boost away from your fmu with a ball valve leaning out the mixture by reducing fuel pressure.

afc hack is a terrible solution as it advances your timing to unsafe levels.

your best bet is a chipped p28 or converted po6 running a good map.

like i said, phearable.net is overpriced badly, and i know xenocron personally and his stuff is top notch for way less money.

To convert down to OBD1 and buy a P28 ECU, then chip it- that would cost quite a bit of money and take away all the wonderful things that OBD2 can do for you. :p

I would go ahead and get a VAFC. Want one? :mrgreen:

vafc = not good

save the money and tune it the right way with above mentioned ways

(chipping, hondata, megasquirt, blah blah blah)

belive me the right way will save you a LOT of time and money down the road

Quoted post[/post]]
vafc = not good

WTF is Megasquirt? Nevermind I don't want to know.

Does anyone even read what i post? NO ONE here within 8 hours does hondata, uberdata, crome tuning at all.
And after talking with the people at phearable.net, they don't have a basemap to load for my application.
So I guess it's up to me to have someone tune a VAFC since there are a few people here who know how to work those with a wideband.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
vafc = not good

WTF is Megasquirt? Nevermind I don't want to know.

megasquirt is basically a cheap Hondata... like uberdata is. I know guys on feoa.net that swear by megasquirt.

go with the obd2 to obd1 harness (like 70 bucks) and a chipped p28 running uberdata or chrome (around 130). IF you really want your motor to last id get a wideband (300) and youll always know exactly how your car is running

Does no one understand that there is NO ONE who will do uberdata here in MT?

My god, please read my posts.....

megasquirt sucks. i played with it, and being someone familiar with tuning, my head was doing circles on my shoulders.

nate, i'd advise against the vafc for 2 reasons...

1.- it has inherit disadvantages. its a piggy back, and your ignition maps are non-adjutable. ignition is where all your power is.

2.- frankly, if people in your area are going around calling themselves tuners and can't operate crome, i wouldn't want them touching my car.

you're not an idiot.. you know computers. you can figure out crome.

just keep in mind, if you do go with the obd1 conversion, toss the fmu, and run crome, you will need to get some dsm 450's or the likes. your stock injectors will not support it.

if it were me, i'd be scouring honda-tech, honda-acura.net and clubsi looking for someone with a jackson on a y8 who has a bin set up. see if they will be willing to email it to you or whatever. i can burn you a chip if you need it... you'll just need to get the computer socketed, the injectors, and the obd1 conversion harness.
then, go do a pull on the dyno's wideband and see whats up... if it looks good, golden... if you got some rich or lean spots, let me know where (send me the graphs) and i'll send you out another chip with a slightly modified program to kill the dips and bumps.
go again for another set of pulls, and it should be pretty good.

after 2 times to the dyno, buying a wideband practically pays for itself though... and that would be something i recommend buying. there are cheap ones with limited displays for around 200... or my choice, the lm-1 for around 300.
i realize this is over your budget... but once you're tuned, you can always ebay it and get 80% of your money back on it...

i don't have a problem with learning crome or uberdata. the problem is there are no available dyno's to use in town. only ones at shops that work on semis, lol... and there's the money issue.
next, the timing is set where it is safe. i'm wanting the car tuned mostly for engine health, not peak power (although desirable). that's why i've considered the vafc since i can at least get the fuel map better.

the stock computer's ignition map is horrible for forced induction. the advance is about 10 degrees too much up top.

you don't need a dyno to get yourself a safe tune. all you really need is a wideband, someone to drive while you tinker, and a nice desolate road

sounds like the way i'm gonna go. i can get a package with chipped/socketed p28, cable, chip burner, conversion harness, and wideband o2 for $500 shipped. then learn with that, tune other cars for money, and make my money back in a year.

Quoted post[/post]]
the stock computer's ignition map is horrible for forced induction. the advance is about 10 degrees too much up top.
you don't need a dyno to get yourself a safe tune. all you really need is a wideband, someone to drive while you tinker, and a nice desolate road
Quoted post[/post]]
sounds like the way i'm gonna go. i can get a package with chipped/socketed p28, cable, chip burner, conversion harness, and wideband o2 for $500 shipped. then learn with that, tune other cars for money, and make my money back in a year.

That definitely is the best way to go... even though I'll lose out on a VAFC sale. :thumbsup: If you still want it, PM me a phone number.

Quoted post[/post]]
vafc = not good

The VAFC is a great choice for his application. Its cheep and will do what he wants to do . . get proper air/fuel mixtures through his RPM band.

All he needs is a wideband o2 to use when tuning the thing.

can the vafc back off some ignition? nope.

its a worthless tool for anything bur minor adjustments on an all motor vehicle.

Back