K20A swap into a 92 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92PWR

Hey Im looking to swap in the K20A into my 92 Civic HB. Ive seen a few things on it and wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. From what Ive read Ill be needing the following:

-Hasport Motor Mounts
-Hasport Axle Kit or 2002 Civic Si Axles
-Hasport Wiring Harness
-Hondata Reflash ECU

Ive also heard Ill need a 2002 Civic Si Idle pulley (eliminating the power steering)
and I think another part for the A/C. It sounds like with the correct parts and mounts its pretty much a drop-in swap. I havent heard anything about cutting or welding except for the shift linkage. Now I havent done any engine swaps before but Im not mechanically challenged. I work with tools everyday building at my job. My question is if this swap is possible for me to do? Am I missing anything else for the swap? Also, if its recommended that I dont perform this swap, does anyone know of any shops in the Bay Area (CA) that know what their doing and perform quality work?? THanks.

For one, a K20 swap into a Civic will pass inspection in California- a B series plus turbo will not. :)

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 1 2004, 09:46 PM
why this swap?
its overpriced.
why don't you just do a b seires swap and turbo it for the same money
[post=424869]Quoted post[/post]​

hes doing the swap,because ive seen a k20 crx keep up with a damn motorcycle...i havent seen a b16 turbo crx keep up with a motorcycle..its all about being different,and getting the most power(torque in smaller cars) out of your build...b16 turbo can beat a lot of other cars...but a k20 crx or hatch,will stomp instead of "beat",cars.

k20 in a crx is a boatload of problems, shit dosen't even fit under the hood. on the other hand, in a 5th or 6th gen civic... it's the shit. a pretty difficult swap and quite a bit of custom parts. in the last year the k-series has already surpassed what the b-series has done in the last ten years. k-series is the future.

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Dec 1 2004, 09:51 PM-->
hcivic.com
@Dec 1 2004, 09:46 PM
why this swap?
its overpriced.

hes doing the swap,because ive seen a k20 crx keep up with a damn motorcycle...i havent seen a b16 turbo crx keep up with a motorcycle..its all about being different,and getting the most power(torque in smaller cars) out of your build...b16 turbo can beat a lot of other cars...but a k20 crx or hatch,will stomp instead of "beat",cars.
[post=424965]Quoted post[/post]​

Hahahaha I love how people think that there is something magical about the k-series motors, like a k20 would own an gsr block stroked to 2.4 just cause its a K, yes there are some advantages, but at the momment they are completly out wieghed by cost for us ef/ed guys, yes they are good motors and yeah ive seen the skunk car do a nine second all motor pass, but bro if you took the money its gonna cost to get a damn k20 in a crx you could easily build a b seires that could drive circles around the k20 crx

Originally posted by Bl6CRX+Dec 2 2004, 02:22 AM-->
Originally posted by CRXSI91@Dec 1 2004, 09:51 PM
hcivic.com
@Dec 1 2004, 09:46 PM
why this swap?
its overpriced.

[post=424965]Quoted post[/post]​

Hahahaha I love how people think that there is something magical about the k-series motors, like a k20 would own an gsr block stroked to 2.4 just cause its a K, yes there are some advantages, but at the momment they are completly out wieghed by cost for us ef/ed guys, yes they are good motors and yeah ive seen the skunk car do a nine second all motor pass, but bro if you took the money its gonna cost to get a damn k20 in a crx you could easily build a b seires that could drive circles around the k20 crx
[post=424991]Quoted post[/post]​

i understand that a b16 swap is cheaper..but nowadays people sacrifice lots of money,for power...THATS why people are trying to do h22 and k20 swaps..because of the displacement and torque of the engine..if u bore and stroke a b16 to be a b20 or something..u basically spent the same amount of money u did buying a k20 or h22 thats already at 2+ liters of displacement..it works out either way..until u start talking about turbos...it will be cheaper to turbo a b16 than a k20...but once again..in a crx or hatch..all u need is about 200 to 250 horses to the wheels..and u can run 12's or 11's....so u could easily slap a cheap supercharger on the k20,run 7 psi,and be at 200+ whp...its all about what they want to do..not what YOU want them to do..if he wants to do the k20...let him do a k20 swap...me personally..im doing either b16 turbo..or d15 turbo...u act like im saying b series engines suck...cus im not.

You need a custom header, I'm not sure if the ones they have used are in production yet, and if I am not mistaken the wiring harness for the swap is no where near plug and play yet, of course someone may have figured it out and be making one offs.

If I had the money I'd do one, the K is a good motor, but it's all in how much work, and money you feel you can invest.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 2 2004, 07:57 AM
You need a custom header, I'm not sure if the ones they have used are in production yet, and if I am not mistaken the wiring harness for the swap is no where near plug and play yet, of course someone may have figured it out and be making one offs.

If I had the money I'd do one, the K is a good motor, but it's all in how much work, and money you feel you can invest.
[post=425021]Quoted post[/post]​

agree'd the k series is a great motor but pricey but as the years pass us by it will become more available and less pricey(like the 14 y/o first gen b16's) prolly wont get down to the 1200 mark but 2-3 grand like a gsr swap cost right now seems like a number to pay in like comming years. the rsx comes with 210 hp in the 2005 model @ 7800 rpm.. just imagine that thing with turbo and tunning- 300 sounds pretty easy compared to what a b16 would need to do that- nearly the same power as an h22 but less weight-people just down this to much- its a good choice if u have money unlike people who keep asking can i drop a f20c(s2k motor i believe this is the code) in my civic ! like any thing it has its pro's and cons-keep an eye on alot of new parts becoming available for this

First, I appreciate everyones input. Second, I know it was mentioned that K20A powered CRX could beat a motorcycle. From there on people have been mentioning K20A and CRX together like I was going to do that swap. Im not. I will be swapping it into a 92 Civic HB. The closest thing I have heard of of the PNP harness is by Hasport and is not a direct PNP but all you have to do is splice and connect, or so they say. My reasons for this swap have been listed but not all of them. The pluses of doing this swap over the b-series (even with a turbo) are, 6-speed tranny over the b-series 5-speed, LSD, more displacement without even modifing the engine, a carb-legal turbo kit for a b-series will pass smog but bolt-ons and proper tuning of the K20A will still put out more power and torque, b-series have had everything and anything done to them. From turbo and supercharger kits to stroke kits to swapping heads and blocks. Lastely, the K20A is an uncharted territory in the import world. It all comes down to getting max power and torque while standing out from the rest of the crowd. Plain and simple, would you rather be a part of the next generation K20A swaps or run along with the same old crowd swapping in b-series?? ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENSE INTENDED TOWARD ANYONE WITH A B-SERIES SWAPS OR PLANNING ONE. THE B-SERIES MOTORS ARE AWESOME ENGINES AND HAVE THE BEST FLOWING HEADS UP TO THE K-SERIES.

Good luck. I wish I had the money to put into a k swap. The whole engine vs. engine is beat to death. Money solves problems, no matter what engine you choose. It's funny that everyone wants to be different, but somehow manage to flock to the same idea. Drifting ring a bell? Anyway, remember that standing out of the crowd in the honda game gets your car stolen.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 1 2004, 11:21 PM
a b into a 92 civic should pass then a carb legal kit
[post=424937]Quoted post[/post]​

No- only if the turbo kit was CARB certified on the 92-95 Civic. A kit that's been exempted by CARB for an Integra isn't going to be legal on a Civic with the same engine unless it's been certified on the Civic too. It gets expensive to run 5-6 certifications on one kit.

what kind of bike gets beaten by a 200 cHP 1700lb car? Most bikes have less than 1/2 the hp and 1/3 the weight....

I dunno, its tough to say.

Dood,

First of all, a K20 is extremely expensive. So are aftermarket parts. They will be for a long time.

Secondly, a K20 in an EG is not unchartered territory in the import world. Everyone and their sister's, grandmother's, granchild's, babysitters, cousin's, former roomate want's a K20 in their civic. You will see them more and more as the price goes down.

Third, I wouldn't reccomend a K20 swap to be your virgin engine swap. It's a shitload more difficult than you'd think.

And last, why do you think people still do Chevy 350 conversions in their Jeeps? Big block coversions in their Mustangs? B-Series conversions in their civics? Because it's proven power. Who gives a flying fuck if it's original or not? If the only reason you're doing the swap is to impress other people or be "original", then put the car on 20" chromes and take it to car shows and win shiny trophies. A K20 swap just doesn't make any sence at it's current price. And if you think that a stock K20 EG will take out a turbo B16A EG dollar for dollar spent.....your in a freeking coma. NEVER would that happen.

I'm not saying dont do it....hell, if you have the extra cash laying around, by all means go for it. I'm just saying that you're going to have a pretty sour look on your face when you get owned by a B-Series civic that can go twice as fast as you, having spent half the $$$.

Originally posted by adnoh@Dec 3 2004, 12:09 PM
Dood,

First of all, a K20 is extremely expensive.  So are aftermarket parts.  They will be for a long time. 

Secondly, a K20 in an EG is not unchartered territory in the import world.  Everyone and their sister's, grandmother's, granchild's, babysitters, cousin's, former roomate want's a K20 in their civic.  You will see them more and more as the price goes down. 

Third, I wouldn't reccomend a K20 swap to be your virgin engine swap.  It's a shitload more difficult than you'd think. 

And last, why do you think people still do Chevy 350 conversions in their Jeeps?  Big block coversions in their Mustangs?  B-Series conversions in their civics?  Because it's proven power.  Who gives a flying fuck if it's original or not?  If the only reason you're doing the swap is to impress other people or be "original", then put the car on 20" chromes and take it to car shows and win shiny trophies.  A K20 swap just doesn't make any sence at it's current price.  And if you think that a stock K20 EG will take out a turbo B16A EG dollar for dollar spent.....your in a freeking coma.  NEVER would that happen. 

I'm not saying dont do it....hell, if you have the extra cash laying around, by all means go for it.  I'm just saying that you're going to have a pretty sour look on your face when you get owned by a B-Series civic that can go twice as fast as you, having spent half the $$$.
[post=425763]Quoted post[/post]​

truth, its all about the money... basically..

if i were going to build a race vehicle for road course, and be serious about it, i would have a k24/k20 combo in an ek9 hatch

don't let the naysayers hold you back man.

its a LOT of work, 15-20 times harder to pull off than a b-series, and twice as costly, but in the end, it will be worth it. just make sure you have a beater. you're going to be down for a while.

it took my boy 7 months to get his k series eg6 back on the road and he is still having little problems here and there but they are all error codes but if you have the time and the money then go for it good luck keep us posted on how you are doing

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Dec 2 2004, 02:21 AM
shit dosen't even fit under the hood. on the other hand, in a 5th or 6th gen civic... it's the shit.
[post=424990]Quoted post[/post]​

actually if you use a SiR hood and the hasport mounts itll fit. the k24 wont though. hasport is trying to get their mounts released soon; refer to k20a.org. the mounts cost the same as any other mounts but some modifications are required(welding). it pretty costs almost the same as getting a JDM ITR(B18C) in there.

btw, you can find k20a(type-r) for the same price as jdm b18c's, while the k20a2's run for around 2-3g.

just like to add, someone on k20a.org, with k20a eg with full interior, ran 13.1 with i/h/e and mugen ecu...on street tires.

Back