Monitor - Home Office

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no, the chain is

wall - laptop (usbc power) - 2nd usb-c out to monitor (no power cord needed for the display)

the monitor then has a usb hub to charge a phone, etc from the monitor outputs.
Well, this didn't work at all like i thought it would.

power cord is plugged in. Either i'm doing something stupid or it's not actually a feature on this one despite usb c.

this article from benq implies that it is possible, so it must be me.

I regret not getting the ultrawide at this point honestly. The resolution without 200% zoom is useless, so i'm basically running 1080p anyway.

i know that alot of power delivery docks require a separate power source... we have ones that do 3 screens and power delivery. they have their own AC adapter but REQUIRE a source for the stupid PD. so a usb-c "charger" into the dock, then it does PD to the screen.

what is your laptop? i can try to figure out a configuration that works for you.

read the manual (hands in man card....)

chris was right (hands in man card again....)

USB-C connection Transmits digital video and audio signals from your PC to the monitor. Note • PD(Power Delivery) and DP Alternate Mode(DP over USB-C) are supported via USB-C Port. • Features may not work properly depending on the connected device’s specifications and the environment. • USB-C port is not for the Monitor Power source but for a PC power source. Connect Adapter to supply power to the Monitor

Thinking on it more, it actually makes a ton of sense. The monitor isn't mobile. Leave that plugged in all the time, keep the laptop power cord in the messenger bag for travel/etc. To power up, just connect to a monitor as if its the dock.

that looks nice!

65w power delivery wouldn't run my laptop though lol
chris was right again. fuck.

It's charging the laptop, but windows is throwing a warning saying it's a slow charger, use a better power source.

let's see if it can keep me at 100% the rest of the day.

what is the output on your brick? and what machine?

HP doesn't usually whine about PD, but using less watts charger it has a fit. my omen will only use a 150 or larger (YES, laptops can have 200w now) however my wife's elitebook g3 will work with 65, 150, etc.

ok so that could be like 40 different laptops. but i'm thinking it's 130w

That XPS is generally going to have a 130w power brick

Most of your "hub monitors" are not going to have enough output

Will likely need to either plug in power brick and the display connector, or a real dock like the wd22 or wd19 with a 180w power brick (laptop will see about 150w of that dock eats about 30w)

Don't know if this is still relevant, but I saw this on woot today and remembered this thread

** Looks like they have a 190w model up there too

Last edited:
nice price on that but i don't need it anymore. I'm just running the power brick that came with the monitor and laptop. 1 extra cord to save $200 bucks is a win for me.

Back