more power?? Straight out of downpipe??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gettocrx

Hey guys! Does a turbo car put out more power staight out of downpipe instead of a full piping exhaust system? I see most import race cars do this, so I was wondering if I should run it like that at a race? does it run better or produce more power like this?? Thanks in Advance! :)

The less backpressure applied on the exit side of a turbine, the more power you will produce, just drop the exhaust system if you want to maximize the power. You will just have a loud as hell car. Not as loud as an NA car running open header, but still loud.

One of my friends with a boosted dc2 is running the stock exhaust with a cut-out. Same gains and its an awesome sleeper look. He is using the Mr. Gasket one and it takes a lot of fabrication to get it working right. There is also a electric cut-out I know nothing about made by Quicktime Performance

Removing the exhaust system is a band-aid approach. If you have a quality, unrestricted exhaust system, there won't be any benefit by removing it. Besides, running stright out the downpipe is not just loud, it could expose you to poisonous CO2 emissions.

(o)(o)

Hey thanks for the advice guys! I live in Hawaii and fuel emissions aint a problem here! I ran it like that at the tracks, i got more top end power but my 60 fts. got worst. I guess becuase the turbo spools up quicker and I lose traction in 1st gear. Well thanks guys!

Originally posted by (o)(o)@Apr 30 2004, 04:21 PM
Removing the exhaust system is a band-aid approach. If you have a quality, unrestricted exhaust system, there won't be any benefit by removing it. Besides, running stright out the downpipe is not just loud, it could expose you to poisonous CO2 emissions.

(o)(o)

Uh, CO2 isn't poisonous, I think you are thinking of CO, or carbon monoxide. It's not gonna expose you any worse than a normal exhaust would. While I agree that an unrestricted exhaust is nice, it does cost a lot more, and if you are just running on the track, and you want a little more oomph, just pulling the plumbing is a cheap route to take. Plus, when you are driving the emissions go right out from under the car. The only reason they make the exhaust come out the back is so
1. It's not as loud.
2. The exhaust gases are slightly corrosive, and will start eating away at the metal parts under the car, and the wheels and such if you you don't let it exit at the rear.

ghettocrx, glad to see you tried it, hope it met your expectations.

My bad. I meant CO. You make a few good points there. But at some point, one has to idle (even at the track). I should have mentioned I thought we were talking about turbo'd cars, where no exhaust restriction is higly desirable. On normally aspirated cars, some back pressure is good, the way I understand it. As for cost, speed cost money. Later

(o)(o)

yes a little back pressure on normally aspirated cars keeps the flow less turbulent and so there is less of a chance of exhaust gases getting turned around and trapped in the compustion chamber.

:eek: I hate CARB!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll prolly won't know what to do with myself if I ever move out of Cali. I'll prolly go so far as to mount jet turbines on the side of my car or something extreme, just cuz I can. :D

Washington is smog friendly. I can't believe some of the beaters that I see on the street. They shouldn't fuck with the normal guy that has a good running car. The blue smoke spitters should be hauled away, unless they're headed for the shop. Cops don't mess with you here, but in some cases, I wouldn't mind if they did. In my case, they better not :D

Back