my b18c build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Burning oil while accelerating usually means bad seat on the rings.

Under deceleration valve seals/guides.

Very nice build though.

thanks for the comments guys. i did a compression test and was about 250 psi accross the board, i didnt try the oil in each cylinder test though. I really doubt the head is an issue because like matt said its only under acceleration when it smokes and everything in the head was new done by a professional. Im thinking the compression rings are probably ok but the oil rings are either bad or seized or both or maybe the clocking is is all open down the piston letting the oil seap there. I bought brand new oem honda rings so we will see when i dig into to it and also bought a new head gasket because i dont like the idea of tearing it down again and using a used gasket. I will be making sure the clocking is properly done as well based on what i saw omniman do in his video which is a great help for you guys wanting to learn how to do some of this.

Sadly i have checked all other areas hoping it was something else but im pretty sure the rings are the culprit. the felpro oil pan gasket i got leaks like a mofo fyi so that will be replaced with oem as well while i do this.

Last edited:
I should have taken pictures of the the rings when I pulled the pistons but I was beat ass tired and had deadlines to make the roebling road de this past weekend.

The person that installed these pistons is a Honda technician at a honda dealership; well lets just say he didnt A. Care/give a shit B. had no clue C. was just a fuktard

The rings were not properly clocked and the gaps were all in line on the thrust sides of the pistons allowing a nice channel all the way up for oil to easily travel!

I couldnt believe it......it takes about 5-10 mins to look in the helms or even do a google search about piston ring installation.

So I properly clocked brand new oem rings and put everything back together. As you can see full acceleration out of a turn at roebling which is about 100 mph give or take with no smoke!

[url=http://img691.imageshack.us/i/dsc0007x.jpg/]

I got a generic aluminum radiator with a 12 inch fan for 100 bucks shipped and after running 20 mins each session my temps never went much past 200 degrees. I run water with 2 bottles of redline water wetter.

Sorry for the lack of pics there to the end of the build I just didnt have any spare time to stop working and my wife was super busy but all in all I learned a lot and Im pretty happy with the results. I really need to retune now that the rings are seated and the car is running right. Maybe I can get into the 190s at the wheels.

Thanks for everyones input and support and I hope I helped others along the way.

Remember to do it right the first time so you dont have to take everything a part and do it again lol

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm glad I finished but not at the same time. Its fun doing a build, I may go to a thinner head gasket for a little bump in compression but I dunno. Tuning would probably be better money spent as well as some rims/tires for the track only.

A little update, made a couple changes.

so far the only issues i have had is that damn moroso oil pan and tuning issues but the pan has been taken care of and im getting it retuned soon.

I finally did the turndown on the muffler and got some rpf1s from a h-t user so the k1s now have khumo xs on them for just the track and rpf1s for the daily driving. I also got Sparco buckets from fstvtec and installed my crow 5 point. shit is not fun anymore to daily drive! i almost hate until i get that one open road chance on my way to work and on my way home lol like most of us. I have been too lazy to paint the dor jams and interior but in time i will and put all my new moldings on....i think i might get like a cheapo redo on my paint job first because it looks like shit and pisses me off.
dirty i know
dscn1684f.jpg

dscn1682r.jpg

i miss my recaro srd :( but it has a new home now
dscn1681s.jpg

like the turndown on the muffler. might do that on my car. looks very clean i think.

nice car man. glad to see you got the blowby issue fixed.

people really should pay attention to detail when assembling an engine.

Thanks, its been a long build process with this car with several motors but this one overall has been worth it.

Updates before I went to Sebring

Motul brake and gear fluids, Hawk ht-10 pads, brake ducts from honda-tech user jbs :thumbup:, skunk2 rear camber, blox rear toe, brake duct hose, b&m race shifter with spherical bearing which is one of the nicest additions I have ever made, and progress coilovers with 500lb progress/800lb hyperco springs which were pretty nice. I showed my koni/gc for comparison.
dsc0082l.jpg

Fast Brakes ITR front brakes
dsc0094z.jpg

dsc0093fh.jpg

dsc0090ox.jpg

dsc0087z.jpg

late night
dsc0084h.jpg

Crappy iphone pic of my new seat..soooo much better. Racetech 1000
168i.jpg

Sebring pit Redline Time Attack
dsc0131h.jpg

a couple laps before it blew
YouTube - Redline Time Attack Sebring Aug. 14, 2010 HPDE White 95 civic
Well looks like its time to build another motor! I lost oil psi and its toast..the parts hunt begins.

Last edited:
I think I found my culprit but Im not sure and I have only removed the valve cover so far. I will be removing the head soon to see what else went wrong but this could be what caused everything. Supertech wants me to send all the pieces in for their engineers to look at but who knows if they will refund me atleast for faulty products or pay for part of damage
dsc0011ge.jpg

damn.
i'd push the issue real hard to get them to pay some of the damages.
you may want to have ti disassembled by a certified tech so he can give an official word on whether or not that caused the blow out.

that way, they cant say that you dont know what you are talking about.

That broken retainer could just be collateral damage and not the cause. I don't know if I would have used aluminum in that application though. Titanium or chromoly all the way for retainers IMO. Good a see a good build for a track car though :)

Yeah I was about to buy their titanium retainers but they advertised the aluminum as being 20% stronger so I fell for it. I actually found another broken retainer so 2 look like that. Most of my components have 5k miles or less and this is my track car only. Oil and water pumps were swapped over from my Lsvtec and were purchased brand new and had max 35k miles on them so I think if these broke and ended up somehow getting into the oil pump that would be game over.....still pull it apart and supertech wants me to send the valve springs and retainers to them. I let them know how dissatisfied I am and that I think this is why the motor went so we will see what they do for me.

Last edited:
Back