Not another Katrina Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We shouldn't have to ask, quite frankly. When the tsunami hit the asia pacific, for example, other countries as well as the US happily volunteered to aid in the recovery. Our country has poured enough money and resources into the rest of the world, I would think, that we shouldn't have to ask for humanitarian aid from the countries that are in a position to give it.

EDIT: How about those motherfuckin middle eastern royal families that we've been trying so hard to keep in power and wealth? What's a couple million to them?

No one knows if the requests have been sent out.

And on that same day, a stampede in Iraq killed almost 1000 people. In Iran, an earthquake killed more than 100,000 people more than a decade ago.

As far as the US, we get hit by strings of bad things that make it easier to swallow. The millions of acres of forest fires, earthquakes (Yeah, the one in San Fran in 1989), the Houston chemical explosion (Not natural, but still a horrible incident), Mount St. Helens, The Mississippi river floods frequently, and the Alaskan Tsunami remained locked in history until we remembered it when Sri Lanka got hit.

and in 229 years, that's a lot to happen to the US. And there is more to come. With the ocean's gaining another degree overall temp, we're going to see hurricanes in the next few years that will make Katrina look tame by comparison. Florida will be hit constantly - And will have to adapt their housing and infrastructure to take the abuse (Not unlike the plains states with their tornadoes). I hope we see more monolithic and geodesic domes down there, more underground homes and more weather-proof construction in Florida. I say we make the best of it. I would prolly move to Florida, because I'm an absolute crackhead when it comes to storms. I love storms. It's the most exciting thing in life to me.

I've built my 4Runner with the goal of withstanding and being out and "weathering" storms, floods, fires and natural disasters. I watch videos on my computer of storm devastation. I'm a sicko.

-> Steve

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 1 2005, 06:13 AM
Blasting the countries we give aid to, is ignorant. We gave aid mostly to countries that don't have the facilities to aid themselves, muchless New Orleans. I mean really, do you expect Maylasia, or Iraq to fly over in their Heuys and drop rescuelines, or crates of food?
[post=548224]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha, best comment ever, I totally agree.

But ya, New Orleans was a freaking swamp to begin with. They put these Levey's up to dry out the samp so they could build there.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Sep 1 2005, 07:47 AM
ahh, the US hasn't done jack shit really either.

They have 1000's of people down there. I guarentee the gov't has the means of transporting people to safer places then a fuckin stadium. They have people chilling on interstates and 10 buses to pick them all up.

Fuck the other countries, I sure as hell didn't expect any of them to jump in and help out.

Then again, a lot more of these people could have left when they predicted this huge storm. They have TV and weather reports for a reason.

How come most americans can't think similar to us, this country isn't last another 100 years.
[post=548201]Quoted post[/post]​

the reason they are going to a stadium is because its something like 28k people who are going to be LIVING there for at least 3 months, its not like they are just visiting for a couple days and can be thrown in hotels. the only place large enough ot facilitate that number of people is a stadium.

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 31 2005, 08:07 PM-->
Hugo Chavez has donated $1,000,000 to the relief efforts. And ... that's it, so yeah the rest of the world kiss our fuckin ass from here on in.
[post=548043]Quoted post[/post]​

The ONLY person (country) to donate money to us, and would you kindly inform us what your right wing reaction to this person is?

Celerity

And yes, we should absolutely assasinate that fuckin twit.

Not to mention other kind words.

Oh yeah, he's such a horrible man... donating money to help us. Giving money to the poor. Offering low cost fuel to poor Ameicans.

So horrible.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 1 2005, 01:39 PM
you better look out... that kinda talk will get you a vacation at gitmo...
[post=548329]Quoted post[/post]​

Proving my points yet again :)

i heard Chavez had a secret hurricane beam and is attacking the US via weather...

quick... attack venezuala....

WAR!!!

sure would be nice to have some of the reserves left over to actually help in situations like this...

if anyone bothered to read the link i posted in the other thread

U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR). As of February 2004, it stores about 645 million barrels of oil in underground salt caverns along the Gulf of Mexico [ref]. Given that the United States imports about half of its oil, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve holds about a 60-day supply of oil if all imports were suddenly and totally cut off.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 1 2005, 03:24 PM
if anyone bothered to read the link i posted in the other thread

U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR). As of February 2004, it stores about 645 million barrels of oil in underground salt caverns along the Gulf of Mexico [ref]. Given that the United States imports about half of its oil, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve holds about a 60-day supply of oil if all imports were suddenly and totally cut off.

[post=548349]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm sure its more than that. i've read that at current consumtion rates, theres enough for about 10 years. i'll see if i can find some details on a more upto date source

bush stated yesterday that he opened access to the reserves to help mitigate gas costs

we will see if it actually helps

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Sep 1 2005, 01:24 PM-->
Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 31 2005, 08:07 PM
Hugo Chavez has donated $1,000,000 to the relief efforts. And ... that's it, so yeah the rest of the world kiss our fuckin ass from here on in.
[post=548043]Quoted post[/post]​

The ONLY person (country) to donate money to us, and would you kindly inform us what your right wing reaction to this person is?

Celerity

And yes, we should absolutely assasinate that fuckin twit.

Not to mention other kind words.

Oh yeah, he's such a horrible man... donating money to help us. Giving money to the poor. Offering low cost fuel to poor Ameicans.

So horrible.
[post=548322]Quoted post[/post]​

Like all great dictators and madmen of the past, Hugo Chavez has taken a page directly from their books to "Give aid" to their populace to keep them quiet, build a routine, then threaten to take it away. Castro could have phoned that one in. It's what tyrannys do.

My right wing opinion ? His people want his ass out (As the 3 coup attempts might suggest) - And it's great that on the outside, he looked photogenic and full of candy, but how many miles of video footage do we have of Saddam hussein kissing babies and handing out free shit ?

My personal opinion ? I don't give a fuck. The more corrupt and miserable another country is, the happier I am to wake up in America as an American.

-> Steve

right now we have about 700 million barrels

it takes 13 days after the order is given for the oil to reach the market

we can only draw a maximum of 4.4 million barrels per day

dont expect any changes too soon
and dont expect them to be very noticable

also keep in mind that most of our refineries are located on the gulf
most of them have been shut down and or damaged... this will effect not only holw much can be brought to market but how much it will cost to bring it to market

yeah supposedly 1/3rd of our refining capabilities are offline.

Arent you glad to drive a honda now? Well besides someone like B of course :p

33 MPG Thank god!!!! :fuckyou3:

STI 12 MPG on Premium :kick:

727,000,000 barrels in reserve
average price per barrell = 27.25

total price of reserve = $19,810,750,000

oil prices as of now = 69.50 per barrell
value of oil reserves today = $50,526,500,000

damn...
19 billion turns into 50 billion...

And on top of that, that fuel won't bring prices down at all - It's going to be used strategically, and primarily for rescue and government projects.

We have lost... like, can't find, 10 oil platforms this time around. It's usually 1. The other, like 20 or so are out at sea somewhere, and need to be towed back to attach to the rigging again.

Not actual numbers at this moment, but close.

What I'm really interested in is how quickly these companies will lower their prices when we're back on line. Also, withdrawing from the SPR means that it will be the first to be replenished before prices go down. Conserve.

-> Steve

Back