*Official* Gym and Diet thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What is your daily calorie intake?
bulking - anywhere from 4,500-5,000
cutting - 1,900-2,100
bulking is a 60/20/20 split
cutting is a 75/15/10 split (protein/carbs/fat)
i do stray away from this on occasion, but i try my best to stick to plan.

Changed the thread title since this is more of everyone's progress thread now.

Anyway, I'm planning for my next bulk. Planning on doing 3 week intervals of different styles of lifting. I'll try German Volume training, Rippetoe 5x5's, etc.
Diet is going to be my main focus. Really going to up the calories this time since I didn't put on hardly any fat over my last bulk.

Go Paleo (Caveman). To workout is nothing without the right diet, lots of water, and resting your muscles properly! 8hrs sleep a night! IF you follow this guy you will see results fast, and easily!

Last edited by a moderator:
ThreadNecro.gif

Bringing this thread back!

I need some advice from some of you guys that are more experienced with supplements. I have never taken any type of protein, creatine, or anything. I used to take a multivitamin, but havent in a few years. I think I want to start with some whey protein and creatine, but have no idea which ones to try :confused:

As for my personal fitness situation.... I am a naturally thin build, but the last time I was lean and in good shape was when i was about 19 or 20 years old (32 now). Early 2011 I was just under 195 lbs and had a beer belly. I decided that i wanted to get in better shape and began watching my calorie intake, and started trying to eat a little more healthy overall. I also started doing pushups and some curls 3 times a week or so. The combo of diet and exercise worked... by early 2012 I was down to 175, a loss of 20lbs. So in the last few months I have gotten more serious about working out, doing 4 workouts a week and for 45 mins to an hour. To my surprise i have lost more weight down to 168-170lbs, and I am 6'1". Im pretty happy with how I feel and look, but would like to add a little muscle weight to my frame.

Bringing this thread back!

I need some advice from some of you guys that are more experienced with supplements. I have never taken any type of protein, creatine, or anything. I used to take a multivitamin, but havent in a few years. I think I want to start with some whey protein and creatine, but have no idea which ones to try :confused:

As for my personal fitness situation.... I am a naturally thin build, but the last time I was lean and in good shape was when i was about 19 or 20 years old (32 now). Early 2011 I was just under 195 lbs and had a beer belly. I decided that i wanted to get in better shape and began watching my calorie intake, and started trying to eat a little more healthy overall. I also started doing pushups and some curls 3 times a week or so. The combo of diet and exercise worked... by early 2012 I was down to 175, a loss of 20lbs. So in the last few months I have gotten more serious about working out, doing 4 workouts a week and for 45 mins to an hour. To my surprise i have lost more weight down to 168-170lbs, and I am 6'1". Im pretty happy with how I feel and look, but would like to add a little muscle weight to my frame.

In my experience, creatine isn't worth the cost. All it did for me was add a bunch of water weight and make me feel bloated all the time.

Number one priority should be to make sure your diet is in check (I see that you mentioned your diet above, just driving home this point). If you are trying to add muscle, you'll want to up the calories a little bit. A good whey protein isn't a bad idea - Optimum Nutrition is the way to go. The multivitamin is a good idea also. Anything past those two things, and it becomes a matter of what works best for you.

Creatine not worth the money? It's dirt cheap! The water in your muscles allows your muscles to rebuild faster, it also allows you to last longer during workouts before burning out.

120 days of ON brand creatine runs you $16.99 at bodybuilding.com

For protein I really like ON but I find it to be a bit too expensive for my blood. I use EAS from Sams Club, it mixes really well, 5LB bag shipped is $37.99

I also take Men's 1 a day from Sams Club (no name brand) I pop 2 of those a day, 2 Vitamin C 500mg pills and 2 1000mg Fish oil pills. I also take 5mg creatine in the afternoon.

Protein is normally done twice a day, it depends on how my meal is planned out. Almost always after I work out unless I'm having a big steak and my calories are already high for the day.

There's a lot of other things you can get into but I've found that most people have have had great results ended up sticking with the basics.

Last edited:
Little skinny me has actually been trying to gain for about 6 weeks now, too. My problem is I simply cannot make myself eat enough... I tracked my intake down to the calorie for 2 weeks, and while I've always said I eat a ton of food and never gain weight, I simply don't take in enough calories. Sure I splurge sometimes (often), but according to my tracking results I tend to follow that up with a period of lower intake. I have trouble hitting 2000 calories most days, and I'm trying to take in 2500-3000 minimum right now.

My wife's parents are coming out to visit us from Japan, since they missed our court wedding we're having another ceremony for them and my family. She wants to tone up before that, so we've both been doing the Insanity program. Yes it burns a ton of calories but I figured I needed to cardio anyway. Turns out it's a CRAP ton of cardio, and 90% leg exercise. I guess I need that too if I want to gain mass, so I decided to stick with it.

While we were on Insanity I could eat about 3000 calories if I really forced myself, and have been using whey protein after every workout, but we've taken a bit of a break from it in the last week or two; we're both working 50-70 hours right now and can't get the sleep we need. Since then I'm having trouble with the calories again, but I've been doing pushups and pullups every other day and mostly keeping up with the protein. I picked up some training bands to assist with the pullups since I'm only at 4, then, 3, 2, and 1 per set unassisted; I can knock out 15 per set with the bands.

Still have an incredibly long way to go but I'm up 6lbs of muscle!

Last edited:
Little skinny me has actually been trying to gain for about 6 weeks now, too. My problem is I simply cannot make myself eat enough... I tracked my intake down to the calorie for 2 weeks, and while I've always said I eat a ton of food and never gain weight, I simply don't take in enough calories. Sure I splurge sometimes (often), but according to my tracking results I tend to follow that up with a period of lower intake. I have trouble hitting 2000 calories most days, and I'm trying to take in 2500-3000 minimum right now.

My wife's parents are coming out to visit us from Japan, since they missed our court wedding we're having another ceremony for them and my family. She wants to tone up before that, so we've both been doing the Insanity program. Yes it burns a ton of calories but I figured I needed to cardio anyway. Turns out it's a CRAP ton of cardio, and 90% leg exercise. I guess I need that too if I want to gain mass, so I decided to stick with it.

While we were on Insanity I could eat about 3000 calories if I really forced myself, and have been using whey protein after every workout, but we've taken a bit of a break from it in the last week or two; we're both working 50-70 hours right now and can't get the sleep we need. Since then I'm having trouble with the calories again, but I've been doing pushups and pullups every other day and mostly keeping up with the protein. I picked up some training bands to assist with the pullups since I'm only at 4, then, 3, 2, and 1 per set unassisted; I can knock out 15 per set with the bands.

Still have an incredibly long way to go but I'm up 6lbs of muscle!

Good for you man.

That first paragraph sounds exactly like my wife. She's thin and always has been but has healthy body fat. Still, shes ~100 lbs. She perceives that she eats a ton, but probably rarely breaks 2000 or even 1500 calories on any given day. It would be work for her to eat any more than that.

In week 2 of P90X, just doing protein right now (soy and hemp, Soy will be switched out for whey when it is empty). Thinking about adding a creatine nitrate blend as a pre workout, to improve recovery time and vascularity.

Btw, the 6lb gain has put me at a whopping 123lbs total. :p Don't think I can hit it now because of work/lack of sleep, but my short term goal has been 130 before the wedding.

Are P90X or Insanity even worth doing if muscle gain is your goal? I feel like they aren't. I looked at doing P90X but ultimately decided against it because it seems to be more of a weight-loss / tone-up type of thing that would only add lean muscle instead of mass. I can't imagine that Insanity's any different. I'm already skinny as fuck with lean muscle, so a program like that is worthless to me. Plus, what happens when your 90 or 60 days are up? Either you jump right back in to it or you quit and start losing the progress you've made.

I feel like a well researched and self-designed fitness progam that's sustainable and modifiable over time will actually promote a more fit body in the long term than any of these 2 or 3 month programs will...

EDIT: I mean, if you just want to look good for a vacation or wedding or something than programs like P90X/Insanity might be of value, but for long-term sustained fitness and muscle gains, I feel like they're not the best way to go...

Last edited:
If you're trying to put on muscle mass. Do a typical body building work out and up your calories. Get in the stupid high range of calories, get a well balanced diet and hit the gym hard. Put in your time and your body will adapt.

I don't have any crazy routines and such to add to the thread but I starting to ride my bike a bit more. I rode about three miles yesterday after work. Once I get up to 5 miles without wanting to cut my legs off I will be riding to work, four miles or so. Ive started to do some more reading on diets and supplements but I think I have a lot of weight I can drop without being to methodical. Currently weighing in at 207 at 5'8". I want to get down to 155 or so.

I'm at 194.48 lbs according to the medical scale here at work.

That was wearing full business attire with an unopened coke zero can in my hand.

I'm 5-10, and pretty athletic.

I don't have any crazy routines and such to add to the thread but I starting to ride my bike a bit more. I rode about three miles yesterday after work. Once I get up to 5 miles without wanting to cut my legs off I will be riding to work, four miles or so. Ive started to do some more reading on diets and supplements but I think I have a lot of weight I can drop without being to methodical. Currently weighing in at 207 at 5'8". I want to get down to 155 or so.

You're shorter than I thought. I thought ya'll country boys were taller than us city boys. :)

Back