The HS workout thread...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

p.s. you should have only capitalized van.
when you type it "WORK VAN" instead of "work VAN", it makes people think you drive a van outside of work and talk about the two so often that you have to emphasize which one youre talking about one.
I really don't think that matters all that much. You and maybe a comp 1 teacher would be the only ones that would really care...

i dont know about you, but when i read, i comprehend, analyze, get in the head of the writer. i visualize, i hear their voice. i take all aspects of the passage into consideration in an attempt to duplicate what the writer was thinking.
but the people that dont remember his work van = truck thread wouldnt have spotted the mis-emphasis.

lol

Christ... don't analyze satirical posts. It just makes you look retarded.

Lift cases of pepsi all day long. An entire truckload. Twice. By hand.

Then for aerobics, shag mrs phyre like a rabbit on crack.

Still not at all happy with my build. my body just adjusted to the work load and stayed the same size. I am slightly more trim and certainly stronger, but no bulk at all. I eat hand fulls of peanuts all day long. Steak, potatos, grains, still nothing.

A job I had that was a complete workout was laying sod. We did about 10 houses and there were all stacked on pallets and were about 2x3. They shit got pretty old especially in the sun.

I carry a 25 pound tool pouch with me into almost every job, sometimes with a ladder, drill case and/or boxes of wire at the same time. I get up on that ladder twisting and turning and pulling wire.

Then I get into my WORK VAN and reach for my cigarettes (thats a strain in itself). Oh, sometimes my work out includes reaching for my soda bottle and bringing that damn thing ALL THE WAY to my lips.

I'm usually tired after that.

As you can tell, I don't work out. I'd like to, but I'm just too damn lazy for that.

haha...that's awesome man. You are my hero working that soda bottle ALL THE WAY to your lips. (yes, I capitalized improperly too. I'm feeling like such a REBEL! :D) That has to be one HELL of a workout. haha

I'm sure when and if you want to workout you will. It's all good if you don't. Some people are not into it and there is nothing wrong with that.

buy p90 my buddy did it and he lost 40lbs and gained so much strength its actually worth it

I have P90 and have had it for about two weeks but just got my room set up this past weekend. I can't do it yet because I don't have a freakin' good enough pull-up bar. The Iron Gym one I have isn't long enough to reach side to side on my door frame so I am going to have to order another bar for it. If my Crossbow were set I could substitute pull-ups with lat pull-downs for now. *sigh* All I am doing is free weights for the time being. I asked my dad to help me assemble this beast so that I can beat on it soon. My dad rocks. :thumbsup:

i carry a 25 pound tool pouch with me everywhere i go.
;)

p.s. you should have only capitalized van.
when you type it "WORK VAN" instead of "work VAN", it makes people think you drive a van outside of work and talk about the two so often that you have to emphasize which one youre talking about one.
Ahem! Please don't give people crap about the way they type or capitalize...unless they are ghettofied, in which case you have my blessing to rip them a new one. :D I'd like to keep the "drama llama" as far away from this thread as possible. After all, drama is so 1998.

P.S. This is also not grammar school. haha

I really don't think that matters all that much. You and maybe a comp 1 teacher would be the only ones that would really care...
:ditto: :withstupid:

i dont know about you, but when i read, i comprehend, analyze, get in the head of the writer. i visualize, i hear their voice. i take all aspects of the passage into consideration in an attempt to duplicate what the writer was thinking.
but the people that dont remember his work van = truck thread wouldnt have spotted the mis-emphasis.

lol
Ahem! :ban: Drama llama out, workout talk and bullshit/stuffthatwillmakeuslaughin, please. :D

Christ... don't analyze satirical posts. It just makes you look retarded.
:ditto:

Lift cases of pepsi all day long. An entire truckload. Twice. By hand.

Then for aerobics, shag mrs phyre like a rabbit on crack.

Still not at all happy with my build. my body just adjusted to the work load and stayed the same size. I am slightly more trim and certainly stronger, but no bulk at all. I eat hand fulls of peanuts all day long. Steak, potatos, grains, still nothing.
I wanted to get a job for Pepsi a few years ago but it would have interfered too much with my primary job at UPS. Your job is quite a workout...as well as shagging Mrs Phyre too I am sure. haha

Amen for a good shag or five a day. Now that's a workout I wouldn't mind doing often. :D

A job I had that was a complete workout was laying sod. We did about 10 houses and there were all stacked on pallets and were about 2x3. They shit got pretty old especially in the sun.
Man, that's tough, especially when it gets hot as hell and woo...yeah, I consider that a workout. I would curse the grass everyday if i were you after having done that job. haha

Thursday: Chest, back and abs 20:25-22:40...I talked too much, surfed HS and played a bit too much Mafia Wars today during my workout. That's why it took so long. haha

Standard push-ups with push-up bars 3-12. Normally these would be all right but just like B, who by the way is SORE as hell like I am, these were quite a challenge today. Still, I refuse to skip a workout because I am sore. I know that it will go away as it has gone away in the past in just a few weeks. The soreness comes from lack of continuity in my workout schedule, something which I will attain again. :D
Bent over back flies 20-12, 30-12, 50-10
DB press 30-12, 35-10, 50-8 I did these really slowly because the 30's and 35's were not very much weight. My stupid ass really needs to bust out my damn SelectTech's soon. Those bastards go all the way up to 90 freakin' pounds. :doh: I could have used at least 40's and 45's for now.
Double bent over back rows 25-12, 30-12, 35-12 Again, these were done slowly and I am really kicking myself on the ass for not having busted out my SelectTech's yet. I just don't have the room for them, nor do I have the stand for them yet which I do need. I could have used the 40's and 45's here too.
Incline DB press 30-12, 35-10, 50-10 Ditto on what I said about weight above. *smacks self*
Seated Lo-rows with resistance bands Blue-12, Black-2-12. These things really scare me when it comes to rows. I can see myself using them safely for other things but God help me if one of the bands that is secured on the handle should come around and whip the shit out of me. haha I can't wait to use my damn Crossbow. It will DEFINITELY be safer.
EZ bar flat press 40-12, 60-12, 80-7 Oompha! Yeah, that last set was wooo, delicious. I was aiming for 8 but yeah, had I come down for 8 I may have hurt myself. haha I've never done flat press with an EZ bar before and did this time only because I can not use my long bar in my room. I lack the space. You'll see what I mean when I post pics of my "workout area" later on. I can't find the freakin' card for my micro SD to put in my laptop.
Incline flies with supernation 3-15(supernating...and I really hope I am spelling this right, helps hit your lower chest and also gives you more resistance at the top of your rep. A lot of times you lose resistance at the top of your rep when doing flies and unless you squeeze and hold, you lose a bit of the effect. When you supernate, you turn the dumbbells inward with your palms out and the side of the dumbbells almost touch) These really cooked me today. haha

Abs
Decline crunches on bench 3-30
Decline medicine ball side to side for obliques 3-100
Flat bench pulse-ups 3-30 These are done by grabbing the back of the bench with both hands, holding your legs straight in the air and thrusting. They work your lower abs quite nicely, especially if you do them slowly.

Thursday intake:
Meal 1 Protein shake with flaxseed and NO Shotgun
Meal 2 Protein shake with flaxseed (postworkout)
Meal 3 Brown rice, black beans and chicken...perhaps with vegetables if I have some.
Meal 4 Chicken with vegetables I hope.
Meal 5 Banana
Meal 6 Protein shake with flaxseed.

You'll notice today that my intake is a little different than other days. That is because I woke up VERY late in the day, making up for the sleep that I don't usually get when I work both jobs and my meals weren't really planned out today. I also don't have much so this is the best that I can do.

i skipped yesterday because i could barely move. entire body was sore.
tonight was supposed to be yogaX. i gto 5 min into it after the warm up and felt gay.. plus its 1:30 long.... didn't have time to do the whole thing anyway. lol so, i put in the shoulders and arms routine that i skipped yesterday instead, and i'll skip yoga this week

Not impressed by this one at all. it was WAY too much tricep exercises, not enough bicep exercises, and i feel i didin't touch my deltoids at all on the shoulder routine. I probably won't be doing this one again... just replace it with my own arm exercises with free weights.

tomorrow is legs and back and the ab ripper again! ack!

i love that feeling.
:D
not the feeling of looking gay, i dont know how that feels.

to get the best results, i feel you have to design your own routine based on goals, fitness level, strength and stamina.

i skipped yesterday because i could barely move. entire body was sore.
tonight was supposed to be yogaX. i gto 5 min into it after the warm up and felt gay.. plus its 1:30 long.... didn't have time to do the whole thing anyway. lol so, i put in the shoulders and arms routine that i skipped yesterday instead, and i'll skip yoga this week

Not impressed by this one at all. it was WAY too much tricep exercises, not enough bicep exercises, and i feel i didin't touch my deltoids at all on the shoulder routine. I probably won't be doing this one again... just replace it with my own arm exercises with free weights.

tomorrow is legs and back and the ab ripper again! ack!

Glad to hear that you got back into it today, B. I've heard that the YogaX is nothing but ninety-five minutes of HELL! haha Still, if I get the chance to do it I will.

Your triceps make up two-thirds of your arm, so that may be why they emphasized them so much. :dunno: I haven't seen that or any of the other videos besides the Chest and back one yet. Improvising is one of the great things about working out. You can always change your workout for the better and never get bored with it. I'm sure you'll find something that works even better for you. Then one day you'll go back to the P90 workout and tear it up!

I suggest keeping a workout log if you are going to be doing your own thing, just so you can keep track of your exercises and what your are doing/how much you are pushing yourself. This will also help you out later on when you have no clue of what other exercise to do. All you have to do is refer back to a few workouts before and voila!

If I had the room I would be all over the ab ripper as I have been wanting to try it...along with the rest of the freakin' P90x routine. Good luck man. You'll do fine as long as you put your best effort forth.

By the way, how is your nutritional intake doing and how are you doing at quitting smoking so far?

lol

Dude, if we did that with every post you made, we'd all be sitting at the comp for hours smashing our faces into the monitor.

Glad to hear that you got back into it today, B. I've heard that the YogaX is nothing but ninety-five minutes of HELL! haha Still, if I get the chance to do it I will.
yeah, i might do it this weekend.

he even said "i got this way, not because i can do 50 pullups, but because i can do yoga..."

so, its probably worthwhile, i just didn't have the time for it today.

Your triceps make up two-thirds of your arm, so that may be why they emphasized them so much. :dunno: I haven't seen that or any of the other videos besides the Chest and back one yet. Improvising is one of the great things about working out. You can always change your workout for the better and never get bored with it. I'm sure you'll find something that works even better for you. Then one day you'll go back to the P90 workout and tear it up!
they are also a tiny muscle and get used up pretty quick.
extentions, dips, chari dips, outward extentions, shoulders, bis, more dips, my extentions, shoulders, bis, etc etc. way too much IMOi was shot after the first 4 exercises on it. no need to do 20 sets of 15-30 on triceps. lol

If I had the room I would be all over the ab ripper as I have been wanting to try it...along with the rest of the freakin' P90x routine. Good luck man. You'll do fine as long as you put your best effort forth.

you really don't need much more room than your body laying flat.

it's mostly bicycles, leg lifts, oblique stuff (lay sideways, crunch) etc etc... nothing really new or inovative in it honestly.

By the way, how is your nutritional intake doing and how are you doing at quitting smoking so far?
diet is doing pretty good. I need to go grocery shopping though, i'm out of good food and haven't had time. the smoking thing i'm failing miserably at. work has been driving me nuts lately. I do good until i get there, so yeah, not so good.
im gonna try again cold turkey on monday.

What kind of back problems do you have? When I started working out in 2003 I weighed 242lbs. as I was going through eight months of back therapy. I then decided one day to lose weight and three months later I had dropped 20lbs. without realizing it. After that I started working out seven days a week...though at the time I did not know it was too much. Anywho, I lost 52lbs. by myself and it REALLY helped my back a lot. I also made sure to workout my abs so that my back could be strengthened which again, helped out tremendously.

Had it not been for my trainer who had me re-gain 40lbs. so that I could gain mass I would still be hovering around 190 right now.

I'm really curious to know what is wrong with your back and hence, hindering you from working out. Also, how is your nutritional intake? It sounds like you are not having that much of a problem working out if you are doing those exercises. Perhaps you are just not being consistent?

i actually just injured my lower back a week ago lifting an 225 evinrude powerhead. i just picked it up wrong i think... it felt like something just suddenly popped or snapped in my low back and it has left me in a lot of pain. im still waiting on an mri, first the mri place was dicking me around, and then my insurance was trying not to cover it. it will be soon now though. hopefully its nothing bad, i feel like its gotten a lot better in the last week.

the problem in the past has always been upper back/neck problems. i have had problems with this one certain spot ever since i originally hurt it when i was 15. its muscular, not spinal. every time i think its really gone, i hurt it again. last time was about 6-8 months ago while doing military presses with dumbbells, and i missed a week of work. so yeah, those excercises i was talking about doing... that was the last time i did them. ever since that last time i hurt myself, ive been scared to do anything. i have to lift a lot of heavy stuff and get if weird positions all the time at work so my back takes a beating anyways. being a boat mechanic is not a good job to have with a bad back :(

yeah, i might do it this weekend.

he even said "i got this way, not because i can do 50 pullups, but because i can do yoga..."

so, its probably worthwhile, i just didn't have the time for it today.

they are also a tiny muscle and get used up pretty quick.
extentions, dips, chari dips, outward extentions, shoulders, bis, more dips, my extentions, shoulders, bis, etc etc. way too much IMOi was shot after the first 4 exercises on it. no need to do 20 sets of 15-30 on triceps. lol

you really don't need much more room than your body laying flat.

it's mostly bicycles, leg lifts, oblique stuff (lay sideways, crunch) etc etc... nothing really new or inovative in it honestly.

diet is doing pretty good. I need to go grocery shopping though, i'm out of good food and haven't had time. the smoking thing i'm failing miserably at. work has been driving me nuts lately. I do good until i get there, so yeah, not so good.
im gonna try again cold turkey on monday.
Yoga is very much worthwhile. I can't wait to do it, even if it is going to bend me into a pretzel. haha

Hmm, now I REALLY want to check out that arm workout. It sounds like a sweet workout to me. Mind you I usually do about four to six exercises per body part too.

The ab ripper sounds like something I would like and could use. Thanks!

I feel you on the groceries. It's really hard at times being short on cash and eating right. Still, I eat so plainly that I tend to get by during the week. As far as smoking goes, have you given the patch some thought? It sounds like you could use some help like that, especially since work is stressing you out. Think of it as a boost of help if you will.

i actually just injured my lower back a week ago lifting an 225 evinrude powerhead. i just picked it up wrong i think... it felt like something just suddenly popped or snapped in my low back and it has left me in a lot of pain. im still waiting on an mri, first the mri place was dicking me around, and then my insurance was trying not to cover it. it will be soon now though. hopefully its nothing bad, i feel like its gotten a lot better in the last week.

the problem in the past has always been upper back/neck problems. i have had problems with this one certain spot ever since i originally hurt it when i was 15. its muscular, not spinal. every time i think its really gone, i hurt it again. last time was about 6-8 months ago while doing military presses with dumbbells, and i missed a week of work. so yeah, those excercises i was talking about doing... that was the last time i did them. ever since that last time i hurt myself, ive been scared to do anything. i have to lift a lot of heavy stuff and get if weird positions all the time at work so my back takes a beating anyways. being a boat mechanic is not a good job to have with a bad back :(

Oh damn man. I'm really sorry to hear that. I pray that it is nothing serious and that it may just take a little bit of time to get better.

There are a few exercises that I have to be REALLY careful at too. Side lateral raises tend to hurt my right shoulder if I use too heavy of a weight. Military presses...nay, pain. I've worked around it and found other exercises that I can do. Still, that really sucks that you have been plagued since such an early age. What kind of prognosis have the doctors given you on that problem? My lower back, L-4 and L-5 and my right knee hurt constantly so I can feel you when it comes to pain. Still, I refuse to give up. I just find a safe way around things and am still able to workout. My doctor had offered surgery for my back years ago and I said nay. I'd rather workout and strengthen it myself, which is what I have done. Then this year my doctor told me that I should quit my second job and find something that is going to be much easier on my right knee, as it will probably need surgery too. Heck, I'm broken but will persevere, damn it! haha! :D

Last edited:
By the way, I don't know why but I can't freakin' sleep. I got home from work at eight this morning and it's now 14:30 and still, I'm wide awake. I would workout by I can't because I haven't gotten the proper rest. This sucks.

All I've been doing is looking for books about nutrition and working out. The best place with THE best prices thus far has been Amazon, believe it or not. That is probably because you are able to buy books used. eBay is too expensive and so is Borders. Next in line would be Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million.

These are the books I am going to get:

The Metabolism Advantage: An 8-Week Program to Rev Up Your Body's Fat-Burning Machine---At Any Age

The Hardgainer's Body Building Handbook: Workouts, Nutrition, and Results

Men's Health Home Workout Bible Men's Health Ultimate Dumbbell Guide: More Than 21,000 Moves Designed to Build Muscle, Increase Strength, and Burn Fat

Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way

The "Ultimate Dumbbell Guide" really interests me the most right now as the others would be something else to learn from plus a good read. I will be getting this one at Barnes & Noble as the price only differs by a little over a dollar. This is the one I want first. The rest I can wait for a few days.

I really wish I could sleep though. Today's workout is going to be late as hell.

After struggling all day long with sleep I was FINALLY able to fall asleep as I followed B's advice, got offline and just laid around, allowing my mind relax. I have so much on my mind, especially with working out and all that it could have been the reason why I was so restless all day long yesterday. It took me about an hour and a half after I logged off to fall asleep but still, I finally did.

Of course this means that I missed a workout today but that is okay. Things will come up in your life that hinder you from completing a workout once in a while. All you have to do is let yourself know that it is all right, focus, not make a habit on missing straight days in working out and pick up the pieces the following day. Today will be my "pickup day", granted everything goes well. I'll be doing triceps, biceps and shoulders...oh my!

On a side note, that guy from Craigslist called me back and I will be driving to meet up with him and pick up the last of the plates I need and a better bench, one with a preacher curl arm, which will allow me to do at least two more arm exercises that I can think of off the top of my head. The leg attachment it comes with will at least allow me to workout my hamstrings, though I am not supposed to do leg extensions with it, I am sure I will figure something safe out for quads on leg day.

Again, thanks, B. It would have never crossed my mind to actually stop reading in order to relax. Rep. :thumbsup:

Though I have yet to get home and workout today, I scored BIG TIME off Craigslit today, netting myself an incline, decline bench with a preacher curl attachment and 250lbs. worth of weight, plus a straight bench that I have been needing so I can do my dips safely.

As far as everyone else goes, where are all the others that workout? I just texted Matts96HB and he should be posting on here soon but where is everyone else?

B, where are you man?

Back