Overheating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jazzy19

B18B in a 93 SI. When i start driving the car is fine, when i come to a stop light or traffic the temp gauge goes up pass the have mark.. Sometimes the fan comes on. When im driving on the highway the temp is fine i guess cuz the air hitting the rad which cools it down..I changed thermostat,flushed the coolant, and the water pump is not making ne noise..Could it be that i need a new rad?????

Thanx in advance!!!!!

Check all your hose's mine did that for a bit, it turned out i had a pin sized hole in one of my hose's.

how many miles are on the radiator?
if its has a lot of miles i would recommned changing it, or at least try flushing it

you have the small like half sized civic radiator right?
not sure if thats enough to keep a b18 as cool as the car ran with a d

the Rad has bout 180XXX on it...I checked for a hole but nothing wasnt there...no leaking to my knowledge...What symptoms cause a rad to go bad??????what other ideals could it be

I had the same problem with my girlfriends del sol just after she got it, i fucken did it all man, changed the thermostat, flushed the coolant system, checked all the hoses, checked the fan, i figured it was probably the head gasket, cause the water pump wasnt making any noise and it wasnt leaking also when the car was first started in the morning, if i let it warm up at idle it only took like 5 minutes to warm up and start to over heat, a regular honda takes like 15 minutes just warm up AT IDLE. well i decided to pull the motor and put a new one in, and when i was taking off the drivers side mount, i pulled off the timing belt cover and there was a nasty gob of crystalized antifreeze right form the waterpump hole, it had probobly done it for so long with the previous owner that the hole opened and clotted itself up again.

the only real way to tell if it goes bad is if it develops a hole or leak...

but a radiator with 180K miles probably has a lot of built up crap inside...

just my thoughts

Is there a way to check the water pump out??? To see if its still working or dead??
Where is the water pump located in a B18b. Could u also tell me where the little hole ur talking on the water pump that lets out the antifreeze??

theirs a liquid solution from napa for that..u put it in and start ther car cold.. then 15 minutes later u drain it..ull see blk and br spots evrywhere...then ur problem is solved...but be careful cause of the high miles on the rad..this could be also solved by swapping rads it all depends on ur budget :sleep:
fa03ea3a.jpg

the water pump is located under the timing belt cover on the drivers side of the engine, look at the plastic cover, and youll see a bump about and inch wide poppin out like a elephants nipple, the water pump is underneath that, to get to it, you have to remove the crank pully, put a jack uner the oil pan, undo the drivers side mount, then take off the timing belt cover, the hole on the water pump is on the bottom of it, if it is clean and not leaking, then it is proboly not your problem, if it is, it needs to come out, and you need to install a new one, and id reccomend getting a new timing belt since your gonna have to remove it and put it back on.

Back