P&p ?'s

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
How hard would it be to do a home-brew port and polish? or port matching? :unsure:

sorry if this is a really dumb ???

I tried port matching at home, and now I wish I hadn't. I don't think that it is making anymore power than if I had left the ports alone, I might even be losing power. As for what you can expect from one, see the quote from Calesta in my sig.

yeah, i got about two months before i can get my tranny or my ls swap, and have a b18a head just sitting on the floor in my room. i was wondering if maybe i could try to use an old head gasket as aguide for the port matching. and i was thinking i could just wet sand the fuck out of the ports while i am waiting and saving. thanks though. :rolleyes:

gasket makes are not port flow experts the make a seal and that is all tey are made to do not to be used as a template if you want to prot match trace the intake out line using carbon trace paper make the template outa cardboard then ensure it is exactly the same as the intake using sanding rlls remove just enough material to do the job it you want to boul prot take apart the head and all the vales just below the seat there is a small ridge remove this it takes very little material to do this so be carfull
when porting/poli less is more big is lazzzzey
all you are trying to do is to remove the small surface imperfectins
star with 120-150-180 grits and that will give you a nice finish use a rotary tool dremel air what ever but be carefull not to damage the valve seat also because you have the head apart lapp the valves to ensure they are sealing properly

You need a few carbide bits and they are expensive,if you fuck it up your head is wasted.Get a proffesional to do it,that's what they're there for.

Because it is a b18a head i am going to have tthe valves oversized and get a 3-angle valve job done proffesionally. but i wanted to smooth out the ports a little(very little). its not something i am just doing to do in an hour either. i am going to make sure to do it right, and do it right the first time. Just wanted a few pointers. thanks though.

If you really,really,really feel the need to do it,go ahead,but at least do it the smart way.Stuff paper towels or something in the runners to keep all the crap from getting inside and only use a 200-400 grit then smooth it out with some steelwool.

If i do it the head is going to be completely bare and i am going to get everything steam cleaned before reassembling.

Tracy did a P&P on a V8 head in 5 min on Horse power TV ;)

A P&P can be done at home as long as you have some special tools, are careful, have some skills, and most importantly not a moron. Ive done one before on a metro ( insert laughter here ) and am going to do my car when it gets warmer. You will notice a little performance increase especially if you have i/h/e. The only advice i can offer is, take your time, completely strip the head, Dont take off alot of meterial or try to alter the geometry of the head too much, have it cleaned when your done and use grinders grease to prevent your grinding stones from getting clogged up. That is always a problem with grinding aluminum.

this might help
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

BTW you dont use the head gasket for a p&p

use sanding cartrages at 120 grit they take of material fairly slow so it is harder to fuck up with carbided the chew it off so you can easiley fuck up

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Jan 30 2003, 04:46 AM
Tracy did a P&P on a V8 head in 5 min on Horse power TV ;)

this might help

Tracy knows what he is doing,and it PROBABLY wasn't his first PnP.

That is a interesting DIY even if it is a AD,to get you to buy thier products.I could sell you a kit to build a guitar with instructions that I thought were idiot proof,but I garantee you your first attempt is going to sound all that good.

Now I am not telling anyone not to try it,but just to be careful when doing it.

yeah there is no way in hell i am going to even try any of that with anything less than 220 grit sand paper. and i wont go near my head with a carbide. period.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 30 2003, 01:24 AM-->
Canuck 93 Civic Si
@Jan 30 2003, 04:46 AM
Tracy did a P&P on a V8 head in 5 min on Horse power TV  ;)

this might help

Tracy knows what he is doing,and it PROBABLY wasn't his first PnP.

That is a interesting DIY even if it is a AD,to get you to buy thier products.I could sell you a kit to build a guitar with instructions that I thought were idiot proof,but I garantee you your first attempt is going to sound all that good.

Now I am not telling anyone not to try it,but just to be careful when doing it.

Tracy also starts the job, the show fades to black and when we come back, usually someone else has finished it for him. That comment was meant to be a joke, its not possible to do a pnp in 5min. Unless it really sucks. To do a good job your first time it should take the better part of a day.

It says in the AD to spread it out over a week. just a few hours every night. Take your time and do it slow so you can do it right.

Back