sandblasting valve covers: yay or nay?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16SiHatch

Sooo im concerned that the valve cover i recently painted and sandblasted i'll be unable to use. i sandblasted it ya see and no i'm worried that the fine grain sand itself may still be lodged somewhere in the cover. and i'm wondering what that may do to bearings, cylinder walls, etc.

After blasting the cover i rinsed it quite thoroughly in a solvent parts washer, and then i also sprayed the thing out with the compressed air gun. It looks clean and i cant feel any sand in there but i'm just worried cause i don't want to destroy the engine i just put in there a little over a week ago

And that is why I use paint stripper on all my VCs. But as long as you rinsed and blew it out really good I wouldnt worry about it.

+1 for paint stripper..but as the kid said,it should be good..if your that worried soak it again,rinse it and air it..

Or find a shop (like a high school shop or maintanance facility) and use their parts washer.

I media blasted my homies valve cover and brake drums at work. And used my works parts washer also. Both came out pretty damn good!!!

Good luck.

I blasted my cover and when you let it dry and then shake it you should hear the media if there is still some in there. Plastic media has less of a chance of getting lodged somewhere as steel media.

Back