So there I was

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5thGenLuvin

So there I was picking threw some engine cores at work(I work in an Import Wrecking Yard)and the big guy told me to throw all the ones away in a certain pile, well as I was dumping them in with a loader I saw H VTEC DOHC on a valvecover and went for a peek. B18C1 with a S80 attached to it, I nearly cried. I popped the valve cover off and the cam is in excellent shape, hinting to it being well driven. But the timing belt cover was of, and there was no timing belt so I questioned the boss. He's unsure as to how that engine even got into the yard, possibly somone returned the wrong core. But it was a core engine. I am wondering if this means the engine is entirely hooped or if there's hope of rebuilding this for my EG swap. I mean I have a B18B lined up, but a C1 is a wee better I think:p Anyways, any feedback on common problems and what to inspect to make sure the engine is alright, I spun the crank, with alot of ease to.... not sure what else to look for, any help is great cause I will tear it down tomarrow and look further. I am scared a timing belt blew, if so is it still rebuildable? I have it sitting in the shop right now, so if there's a few things to look for that would be great, as tools are alot easier to come by there then around the house:p

Being I was about to throw this engine into a scrap metal bin I would get the basic Longblock, with intake and a/c compressor, with the S80 attached for free, or damn close, maybe 50-100 bucks to cover loss of scrap metal weight.

45 veiws and noone knows anything? Basically all I am asking is what to check inside the engine to make sure it's in decent or rebuildable shape:/

I think the first thing I'd do is pull the head off and inspect the valves and tops of the pistons. If the timing belt broke, some of the valves would have hit the tops of the pistons. If that checks out to be okay, I'd pull the oil pan, pick up and windage tray and see if any rods are broken. Just inspect it. If you see anything out of the ordinary, I'd take it to a shop and have them pull it apart for you. (Depending on your engine building capabilities...)

no timing belt? and the crank spins around? wouldn't you be hiting valves valves if it wasnt turning without the cams...

just get it a take it appart

Yeah, your right. My bad, I didn't think about that. Yeah, just take it apart and see what's messed up (or what you messed up by spinning it...)

Would it be cheaper and easier to get a b18b into my eg or build this b18c? the b18b has everything, it's a teggy donar car, the b18c needs all the bracket's electrical... everything...:(

Originally posted by 5thGenLuvin@Aug 3 2005, 10:39 PM
Would it be cheaper and easier to get a b18b into my eg or build this b18c? the b18b has everything, it's a teggy donar car, the b18c needs all the bracket's electrical... everything...:(
[post=535521]Quoted post[/post]​

You're not getting any answers because no one can tell you for sure, no one knows the extent of whats wrong with the motor if anything.

Take it to a shop with a vast amount of honda, engine swap, and engine building knowledge, ask them to look at it and go from there. Either that, or find someone on this site thats near you, thats knowledgeable and would be kind enough to donate their time and help you with this problem in person.

Without touching the motor hands on, no one here could possibly know. Gut instinct is that its probably cheaper or close to the price of buying a new b18c if there's major problems, if there's no major problems then its going to be cheaper for the engine itself than to buy a b18b outright. Things may get more expensive in the long run, depending on the application of the car and if you're going to need to tweak things like compression.

The b18C head bolts directly onto the LS block? Ohhh, the ideas:p And yeah I'm grabbing that GSR tranny, since it's free:p maybe I'll just stick with simple for my first swap, and get the b18b that I know is in good shape and good milage, and take the b18c head and tranny to rebuild and swap in later for that beautiful LS/Vtec setup... thanks guys!

Strange and stupid think was, this GSR B18C1 with the Y20, didn't have a LSD, it's got a straight pin threw it.. how ghey!

You really don't need the headaches, crate it up and send it to me, I'll deal with the pain.

you will need to take the head off in order to know anything

could be fine
could be completly FUBAR

without taking it apart and inspecting it there is no way to know

take the valve cover off and inspect every thing under there... then take the head off and check that all out

good luck

Hell, get it no matter what. If its shit, part it out. if its good, its good!

The head alone is worth like 600 bucks in ok shape.

And what retard would toss their transmission with their core??

Hell, get it no matter what. If its shit, part it out. if its good, its good!

The head alone is worth like 600 bucks in ok shape.

And what retard would toss their transmission with their core??

:werd:

i would take it no matter what...

worst case would be timing belt popped and SMASHED all the valves into the head, and ruined both the pistons and head...
you could still sell the cams, the head can always be rebuilt by someone who can weld alum... and the crank should get you some change as well as the trans...

get it, yank the head, and stop spinning the motor over just incase you can cause more damage, which is doubtful...

<_< Yeah that thing is has got to being either Fuct, or stolen--whose going to core a b18c1 w/trans.

On a final note, the bottom end was fooked.... I pulled the valve cover, everything is mint, cams don't look to have any use on them at all... so I searched further, valves are good and basically it looks like this engine had a headjob, cause it's mint. The bottom end was piled up though, so I got the B18C1 head with exhaust and intake manifolds free:p The tranny was in about the same or worse condition then the bottom end, and it wasn't even limited slip, so that went to the steel bin too:p Oh well, at least I got the head and manifolds:p Thanks guys.

Back