SOHC or DOHC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hmanb16

Is it better to go with SOHC for turbo or DOHC? I have heard that SOHC is better but that doesn't seem right....please help me....Thank You

Welp. You can make SOHC D-series fast but I'm ALL for DOHC B-Series VTEC. 99 times out of 100.... if not 100 of 100... the DOHC will create more power. Just be prepared to dump a fair amount of money into it.

anyone saying a sohc is a better motor is simply wrong. there's no debate.

the b-series are stronger, better built, and will make more power, setup for setup.

Originally posted by hmanb16@Jan 24 2004, 01:28 PM
anyone else? anything will help....

uv heard everything u need to hear

of course u can make a d-series fast but the money you'll put into would have created you alot more power in a dohc...

DOHC > SOHC .....PERIOD

SOHC- cheap, limited, fun power.

DOHC- expensive, capable of more power than you can handle, not so fun power because when it breaks you can't buy an engine for $50.

For a daily driver, I'd boost the D and call it a day. For a project car, I'd go with the B and NOT SKIMP ON FUEL.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jan 24 2004, 02:16 PM
SOHC- cheap, limited, fun power.

DOHC- expensive, capable of more power than you can handle, not so fun power because when it breaks you can't buy an engine for $50.

For a daily driver, I'd boost the D and call it a day. For a project car, I'd go with the B and NOT SKIMP ON FUEL.

:withstupid:

are you talking strictly single D vs. dual B?
or are you talking single vs dual D's?

i've heard that the ZC has an ideal combustion chamber for boost...

are you talking strictly single D vs. dual B?
or are you talking single vs dual D's?

i've heard that the ZC has an ideal combustion chamber for boost...

Does it matter??? The twin cam D will make more power than the SOHC. Again... DOHC is better than SOHC.

i think it just depends on what you want out of the car. i personally am 17 and don't have to money to go DOHC. so i decided to do the mini me in my 94 CX hatch and my plans are to go turbo. this is my second (well, first REAL car my first was an 85 chrysler lebaron) but of course it will be my daily driver. i'm not looking to get 500 hp out of my car, but i think a decent 200 hp out of the SOHC is worth my time, money and effort. eventually i may go DOHC in another car, but these are my plans for the time being. it's all a matter of preference

It all depends on what your goals are.. I've spent less money on my sohc than a gsr swap and it will put down close to what a stock gsr turbo'd would... The torque is an added plus.

I'd like to see a dyno sheet of that. Or at least a list of mods.

for the 1,000,000th time.... dollar for dollar dohc will take a sohc

of course there are sohc that can rape a dohc..but how much money was spent?

i spent ten times as much getting the del sol into the 15s (read 15.9) then i had to spend getting the integra into the 14s (read mid-low 14s) what do you think is better

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Feb 4 2004, 09:48 PM
for the 1,000,000th time.... dollar for dollar dohc will take a sohc

of course there are sohc that can rape a dohc..but how much money was spent?

I beg to differ on the dollar for dollar statement a little bit(again, comparing apples to oranges). Take a B16 for example. How much does a complete B16 swap go for? That includes replacing clutch, timing belt, water pump etc.
I think total I have $3000 into my sohc including the swap itself, ex lsd tranny, new ACT clutch, machine work, build, etc. I don't want to think about it :roll: Here is my dyno from last week with a shitty air fuel tune(air fuel was with a sniffer for this pull) http://www.5thgencivic.com/pics/tfdynojet2.jpg at 12psi. Going back this Thursday to retune, get rid of the cat and up the boost to hit 300whp. If I was going for maximum power I would have went with a dohc, but I'm not. I happen to like the torque numbers of the singles as well as the LS's... Peace.

I agree... most of you here aren't comparing the same thing. Sure, a DOHC will almost always outperform a SOHC engine with the same displacement and mods, but you have to spend a sizable amount of cash to get the DOHC into the car in the first place. Dollar for dollar, the DOHC plus turbo is more expensive than the SOHC with turbo- at least until you start getting past the limits of the SOHC platform, and swapping then boosting is easily in the budget.

Back