Swaping And Insurance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

Do i have to do anythine else besides getting it inspected and smog checked??? do i have to tell my insurance company about it????

Insurance compaines go off of your VIN. So, no. The only reason you would tell them is if you have high theft of Honda's and want it to be covered if it is stolen.

You only need to get it inspected or go for smog if you have those in your area. Here in Oklahoma, we have NO emissions, smog, inspections at all.

do we get a new vin number after we swap? or they use the old one =X, and also, DO u have to get it inspectedand smogged after swap?

Originally posted by RS1@Jan 28 2003, 07:59 PM
do we get a new vin number after we swap? or they use the old one =X, and also, DO u have to get it inspectedand smogged after swap?

I can't answer the smog/inspection shit, we dont have those here.

JDM engines do NOT have VIN's on them. If you get a JDM engine, save the receipt and carry it with you at all times b/c they dont have a VIN and a cop might say you grinded it off or something.

No, they go off the cars VIN, the plate on the left side, right where the windshield and dash meet. Also, on newer cars, all the body panels have the tin on a sticker on them.

They take the VIN, enter it in the computer and they go off of what was originally in the car. So, if you car was a cx and made 70hp and you had a 300hp swap in there. They can only charge you the insurance for the 70hp car unless you ask for the swap to be on there or your state laws are different than ours.

it is a lose lose situation

a. tell insurance about swap, and get your rates hiked or coverage dropped completely.

b.don't tell them, keep current rates until one day some asshole hits you, totals the car regardless of who's fault it is, when they look at the engine id. they'll see it's a swap and immediately drop your coverage for lying. in other words your srewed out of car and swap ( not to mention falsifying statements to the insurance company is 3rd degree felony!!)

IMO tell the insurance about mods, your rates go up but your ass is covered :D

Okay I live in california and the rules here are strict. The motor you are going to swap in has to be newer than the year of the car. say you own a 94 integra. the motor you swap in has to be 95 or newer. You could have your motor legally registered even if it is jdm but must have smog parts...o2 sensors, knock sensors, stock headers, exhaust. or you could pay someone off to have it pass smog. you could have it BAR certified where an inspector comes out and checks your car to see if the swap is properly done to california rules. that BAR certification is real expensive so scratch that idea. :spin: whatever you decide...

How many got screwed over for not telling the insurance comapany? i hear many people swap without telling them so.... plus how much will it boost if i do tell? because shit, parents be pretty damn upset if it raises

Originally posted by RS1@Jan 29 2003, 08:18 AM
How many got screwed over for not telling the insurance comapany? i hear many people swap without telling them so.... plus how much will it boost if i do tell? because shit, parents be pretty damn upset if it raises

Look it depends on your carrier.I've seen ones that don't care,also ones that will drop you.Call around and ask questions,in this age there is a lot of competition,so you can find someone who will cover you,maybe for less.Also a lot of the time in an accident they aren't going to check the motors numbers unless you are at fault and or someone dies.One of my friends is an adjuster and this came from him,but different companies have different standards.

Back