The Insurance topic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
figured we hadn't had one of these, and with me getting a new car, what the hell, lets talk insurance :)

After visiting nearly every website and getting quotes, I ended up with progressive as being the cheapest.

Mind you, I'm 24, coming off my parents policy and onto my own. the days of 300/6months is over. lol

but, i can't complain- i picked up progressive with 100/300/100 liability, uninsured motorists ins, and 5k for passenger medical (if someone hits us, and their insurance is lacking, i can give each passenger 5k towards bills)

i got no collion, or comprehensive- cuz quite frankly, i'm insuraing a 1992 civic DX. they won't give me shit anyway if i were to make a claim, and the only affordable ones have 1000 deductibles.

so, i have strictly liability, and got $536 for 6 months on my own policy. no bad at all IMO, just a little more than im paying under my parents policy, where my primary vehicle is listed as an 88 chevy blazer. lol

when you're 25, you get kicked off your parents anyway... so it was either now, or in 6 months from now anyway. with a new car, i figured i might as well just do it now.

the sol is remaining on my parents policy for 1 more term... then i will add it on as a 2nd vehicle.

so, this thread has not much point, but hey- its here

92 civic dx?? :blink:

536 6mo... I hate you... I need to tell state farm to shove it up their ass.

I have the most basic AAA deal, and I pay about $985 a year, and that is for a 1994 Miata (RIP) and my 1989 Civic. I used to pay almost twice that, but then I made a comment that I wanted to leave because I have a perfect record, and I was pay so much money, so they pretty much cut my rate in half.

I can't wiat until my insurance goes down... even on my parents, I'd kill for 600/6 months

I need to start doing some shoppign then... cause I'm paying just over 1200 6mo...

:owned: :angry:

I pay a decent price, I guess.

I pay about 1400 every 6 months, but I have 2 speeding violations (2 points in PA and like 3 in NJ), my license is suspended in NJ (8 times actaully), have had my license suspended in PA twice, have numerous tickets, and now have a new drug offense on my record. I had to take the Special Exams test when I was 16 for getting 9 points on my license in one day, now I'm 17 and my point have been reduced to 2. I'm under my 18 yr old sisters policy, she pays like 2500/6 for her 04' Lancer.

you don't own a house, or anything of major value that I know of , why a 100/300 policy, I can see you having maybe a 50/100.

and $536 for 6 months is a good deal

I'm insuring 3 vehicles
a 100/300/100 policy
full coverage on
2003 EX sedan

liability only on
88 chevy C-1500
91 CRX DX

price = $1164 per 6 months with The Hartford.
Not to shabby considering my wife has two tickets and an at fault accident on her record, but hey I guess credit scores help your rate alot.

if i told you guys how much I was paying on the 4 door for liability you'd think twice about what you considered 'expensive'. but then again, i have a very colorful driving record which includes 2 at fault accidents and 6 traffic tickets of the various sort(speeding, running stop sign, improrer equipment, no proof of insurance, etc etc)

i am carless for now and for the next 3-4 months while i finish my time over here in the dirt but when I get back i'm gonna have to break out the KY again

There is no regulatory law for Automobile insurance for a person to be "kicked off" or removed from the parents policy at age 25. P&C Insurance companies want to know who is in the household that has access to a vehicle since they can collect premium dollars for them.

I would at least get comprehensive since it gives you full glass...its well worth the 100 bucks or so a year in case you get a crack in the windshield or some mofo decides to steal your radio again it wont cost you a dime except for your premium. (Ct. has full glass with no deductible)

Screw collision on that car since you wont get bunk for it.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Sep 28 2004, 12:43 PM
you don't own a house, or anything of major value that I know of , why a 100/300 policy, I can see you having maybe a 50/100.

[post=395780]Quoted post[/post]​

Having the higher liability limits also alleviates some of the risk from his parents since they can be sued as well...especially if one of the cars are still in their name.

Also, for most insurance companies, its cheaper rate wise to offer a 100/300 policy compared to a 50/100 policy...sounds crazy but thats the way insurance companies work...

i went through geico- and they wanted about 650... so just a little more.

when i add the sol on as a "recreation/weekend" car, we'll see what happens 6 months from now. but for now, i'm pretty content with the rate. i have 1 ticket from early 03 still lingering on my record... but other than that, im pretty clean.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 28 2004, 01:28 PM
i went through geico- and they wanted about 650... so just a little more.

when i add the sol on as a "recreation/weekend" car, we'll see what happens 6 months from now. but for now, i'm pretty content with the rate. i have 1 ticket from early 03 still lingering on my record... but other than that, im pretty clean.
[post=395797]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm on state farm up in NJ on my parents policy. I just turned 19. Spotless record for the two years I've been driving. Nothing ever being reported to MY insurance. '94 Del Sol S...fuckers charge me 1200/6months with comprehensive UNDER MY PARENTS NAME.

screw all of you.

i'm just so pissed that everyone else is getting lower rates with tickets and shit, and I have 2 years of clean driving, not a fucking thing reported and I'm paying like 2400 a year or so.

oh and my parents have like no tickets. if theres any points on any licenses in the household my dad my have 2-4 points lingering from a ticket in PA awhile ago...but i think thats been more than 2 years so I dont think the four of us have ANY points combined and my rates are still that way.

fuck fuck fuck, fuck a fucking duck.

I'm over 25, still on my parents' policy but on a different account... there's no kicking off or anything that I know of.

Originally posted by sisteve+Sep 28 2004, 02:20 PM-->
There is no regulatory law for Automobile insurance for a person to be "kicked off" or removed from the parents policy at age 25. P&C Insurance companies want to know who is in the household that has access to a vehicle since they can collect premium dollars for them.
[post=395793]Quoted post[/post]​

perhaps not a law-- but since my mom gets the auto ins. as part of her benefits package through work, i guess its a work law. I either have to be under 30 and a full time student, or under 25 and living in the house. Since, im about to be neither under 25 nor living in the house (hopefully) i can't be on her policy anymore.
sisteve
@Sep 28 2004, 02:20 PM
I would at least get comprehensive since it gives you full glass...its well worth the 100 bucks or so a year in case you get a crack in the windshield or some mofo decides to steal your radio again it wont cost you a dime except for your premium. (Ct. has full glass with no deductible)

Screw collision on that car since you wont get bunk for it.
[post=395793]Quoted post[/post]​

comp = 75/month + 23/month for full glass with a 500 deductible.

fuck that. i'd rather just pay out of pocket. and plus, being an EG hatch- theres only 23423423 of them parting out every day on line- im sure i can get some cheap windows if the need arises.
collision = t3h none. its not worth it.
i have none on the 240 either.
sol has full coverage- but won't shortly i think.. we;ll see.

as for the 50/100 being cheaper than the 100/300, its not... but it was about $15 more a month for double the coverage.
i'm better off. I was looking at the 250/500 plan, but i figure, e's accident cost about 160 grand in medical bills. anymore than that, and that person should have been dead. lol so, figure 150-ish is going to be about tops per person... unless they are permantently disabled or something like that... i dunno. whatever. 100/300 is what i've had from 16 yrs old on, and well, its been good to me so far, so why kill a good thing? :D

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Sep 28 2004, 01:43 PM

I guess credit scores help your rate alot.
[post=395780]Quoted post[/post]​

right, i don't own a house, but i'd rather have the coverage there. i know, if i was hit, i'd rather have the ins co cover my broken body no questions or court asked for only a coupl ebucks more a month...

and yes, credit score was a BIG factor with geico and statefarm. i was rated excelent... but i 'hacked' in some crazy numbers to make my credit poor, and my rate was nearly double, and 1.5x for 'good' credit.

so to all you out there with shitty credit, fix it.

Back