The white-mess, my EM1 Si with a d16y8.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nice!

a want to get mac valves for the vt. maybe this year.

Left to do:
Reinstall the ECU (and throw a base tune on it)
Wire up ethanol content sensor
Reinstall the seats (passenger one is in)
Fill with coolant
Reinstall Bumper
Reinstall Hood
Drive it to the gas station to get fresh e85

Left to do is plug the o2 sensor into the harness (car is too low to reach under it, lol), put the hood on, fill it with coolant, and then get some fresh fuel.

IMG_20200411_202702.jpg

IMG_20200411_204827.jpg

IMG_20200411_202724_MP.jpg

IMG_20200411_203210.jpg

IMG_20200411_203328.jpg

I hope y'all like my Euro grille.

Got some coolant in it, and then...

1586739522303.png

1586739536884.png

Promptly on the floor. I put coolant in, and it went in FAST. I was like "hmm, I don't remember these engines filling up this quickly." Then, I heard the dripping, and then pouring.

So, yeah. I found it pretty quickly, but it took an hour to get that damned intake manifold off, coolant pipe off, and then old o-ring out, and back in, then everything back together.

1586739745897.png

1586739762840.png

So, now:
Plug in wbo2 sensor
First start (wooooo!)
Set mechanical timing
Burp Coolant
Install Hood
Get fresh gas
Tune.

WOOOO! It runs! I did a facebook live of the first start. Got it up to temperature, and everything works. Now it just needs a full tank of gas and hood installed.

The AFRs are way lean, I'm not sure why that is, but I suspect it may have something to do with old gas or a bad gasket somewhere in the exhaust. I think I'm going to drain the old gas (100-ish day old) and use that in my tractor, then fill it wish fresh gas, since that needs to happen anyway.

So, it idles fine, I have coolant into it, and I've got a hood on it now.

Only issue is that I'm pretty sure the cam is one tooth advanced, so I have to retard timing all the way to get it to give me 12-deg of base timing. And I have to add 35% fuel overall...

IMG_20200414_114355.jpg

So, I think I've gotta pull the valve cover and cam again. :/

Last edited:
Yep, all good. Runs great. Gonna get the insurance activated, then take it for a drive.

IMG_20200415_202835.jpg

IMG_20200415_202839.jpg

There's an issue with the radiator fan switch, which is odd, because I replaced that last year. Perhaps an air bubble in/around the thermostat housing?

dude, you need a new steering wheel. Every time i see that, i cringe at the thought of touching it. lol

it's possible give it another burp!

dude, you need a new steering wheel. Every time i see that, i cringe at the thought of touching it. lol

haha yeah that was one of the first things i replaced on the kia LOL the original steering wheel was gross and you could pull the damn plastic off of it in pieces.

Good luck finding one that isn't worse... They're almost impossible to find in good condition. This one is better than the one I bought the chassis with. Lol.

Look at all those dents, lol.

1588866969537.png

And that color mis-match:
1588866998308.png

It's a hoot to drive though. It's very quick and a very "connected" experience.

I'm considering the removal of power steering or maybe dialing it back a bit? It has too much assist and kinda makes it feel too floaty.

ahh lol

you can pop off the belt and see what that's like.

I got my replacement HondaRulez ECUTamer, boost control is setup and working, and now it's time to take it for a few drives. Stay-At-Home is now done, so I can legally go for a pleasure drive and get some tuning done.

The drag strip opened up and they're having a test and tune on Wednesday, so that might be something I do. :D

1589920984002.png

Back