Thinking about ditching the genesis...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The closet place that tunes the poweraxel is in Wisconsin. The 2nd closest is tampa. If it was 3 hours, i'd already be there.

clutch is a minor issue, yes.. a wear item. expected it. But i have a hard time investing in it if its just going to blow on up me tomorrow anyway.

I did the plugs.
I tried 93 from a different gas station.
I ran the fuel system cleaner.
it still pings.

Its on the intake side, and it sounds like a rattle can.
if its not detonation, it's metal expanding in heat. And it would make sense if it was on the exhaust manifold side, but its not.

The canned tune is VERY liberal to allow for car-to-car fluctuations. I think its like 10.5:1 a/f targets. certainly nothing aggressive.
The tune was fine for a couple years. i had no issues for a long time.

i think if it was an injector coil pack, it would 'break up' or stumble, and it doesn't. it simply makes the creaking rattle noise.

i'm going to throw the 91 octane map on the car and see if its any better.
if not, the base map,
if not, maybe a rig will rear end me again....

Anyone on the genny forums have any suggestions? Seen anyone else that has had any similar issues?

Or your injectors are flowing less fuel. Ecu could be watching the duty cycle. Does your car have a wide band o2?

Either way a baseline dyno pull with wide and AFs would be helpful.

You guys are missing the point here. Let me refer you to some advice (paraphrased slightly) that B gave me a few years back:

Me: these new tires suck, I need new ones, but they only have 1k on them
B: do a burnout, go 50mph, pull e-brake. Square tires = no guilt for buying new ones.

So, you see, the character of the defendant leads the casual observer to believe that he wants to blame someone else for the poor purchase of a Korean car.
< cue B's post about how great KDM cars are now>

So, you have it. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, B is just a whiney little girl whose car no longer suits his lifestyle, and he is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he really wants a Prius Station Wagon.

Now, back to watching f&f on TNT...

Alright B, how about you trade in your man card for a Prius, some kiddie seats, burp rags, poopy diapers and pacifiers...

I wonder how white his kids legs would be. The family photo would make for a great cover story on the flag day issue.

Watch as the albino tribe creeps about from shadow to shadow avoiding the sun... Oh no, a straggler falls into the sunlight. Now the tribe must bathe the poor creature in aloe.

Ohhh... I forgot he had a truck too. Hell. I was trying to name single-car solutions. Since he doesn't have to have a back seat or rear doors, I'd recommend (if fixing the Genesis is just too icky even when short on money) an NB Miata with an LS series V8 swap. Cheap, reliable, and obscenely fun.

Both my primary vehicles are RWD and 6 speed with more than enough power to get in tons of trouble, and I definitely treat them as daily drivers. Late oil changes, city traffic, no bath, etc.

but you live in Texas lol.....We have snow and ice...a 300HP RWD vehicle is not really practical in CT as a daily driver

Just gonna throw this out there, clean your maf. this all started shortly after you put that intake on. I would place a bet that it got dirty from the oil on the air filter. Second FIX THE CLUTCH, you haven't been able to get on it in months if not longer cause of this I would almost guarantee that the fact the car has not seen little if any boost at all has shit gettin carboned the fuck up. If you can't romp on it to clean it out your just gonna have the same problem no matter what parts you throw at it. But this will never happen because in your mind the car is shit cause you have to do maintenance in a 4 year old car that you have modded. I would suggest either fixing it and stop whining or get rid of it and stop whining about it. Here is a great idea sell the truck for a grand and buy the clutch then no money comes out of pocket for the car. If not buy one of these and be done with it.
1992Camry.jpg

B, you are like Seinfeld...he finds something wrong with every girl he dates....you mine as well just get it fixed because there isn't a car out there that meets your needs....you say you want rwd/manual/power....nothing fits that better then a Corvette but you say fuck vettes(however you appear to like vette engines)...the RS6 is to big.....you don't like Infiniti's , Subu', 370z's, no audi's, no beamers(maybe a 335i), no mustangs(Would you consider 03-04 Cobras?), no Volvo's no lexus's, no acura's

Make a list of cars that you would want.

the 4 is replacing the 3-series 2-doors. all 3 series will be 4 doors.

way to follow audi, bmw.

The clutch still holds in 2nd and it's been romped on from time to time. i doubt there's much build up.
plus, there's no MAF. it's a map car.

I flashed the 91 map on the car today.
its slow as balls.
and while better, it still has the pinging a little bit.
in other news, the clutch holds it. lol

So, why are we still debating this?

-Get the clutch.
-Get it tuned.
-Drive it until the warranty is about to go, then trade it.

I'm still befuddled that you flashed the car, gained 100+ HP and are complaining about how the clutch isn't holding... LCD manufacturing suggests that the clutch was designed to hold stock power +/-10%.

Also, does it ping on the stock tune?

Are you sure it's pinging and you're just not hearing strange valvetrain noises?

I am pretty sure the warranty is void at this point...otherwise the warranty would probably cover the clutch.

The rundown: M5 fits the bill perfectly. Gorgeous. Powerful. Rear drive. Quiet. Handles superbly. etc etc.. B had one. B didn't want to pay for it. B is now unhappy with everything else in a pauper's price range. Because he had the real deal, and now he is trying to find a comparable vehicle at half the price. Just not going to happen.

Options, then.

1: Pony up the dough and buy an M5.
2: Don't. And accept that automotive greatness does not come in the form of korean econocars.
3: Start shopping a comparable market. Aston, Mercedes, etc.

Back