Why People Hate Phish ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 9 2003, 12:39 AM
you people that hate rap wouldn't know real hip hop if you heard it
growing up on crap punk got your minds all distorted
keep on swinging your afi do or die
as us true white thug wigga's watch you cry

^
|
------- can you tell i'm white?

next eminem maybe? lol

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+Feb 9 2003, 08:49 PM-->
sounds like a good band, man the music is for your opinion, it shouldn't hurt you that some people disagree with the band, like what you like, other people shouldn't tell you who to like just you.

It doesn't hurt me one bit that someone doesn't like the band , Me being a fan was just curious
as to why other people don't like em. It just floats my boat to know why.
AS for me I can't stand music like J.lo (prolly a bad example) which my wife always listens to crap like that.
as for why not liking J.lo type music , well it's very repetative, maybe 4 whole lines in the tune. the beat has no deviation a 2yr old could of written that song.
Were as bands like "Col. Bruce and the code talkers" completeley write there own tunes wel lI should say compose them. I think that's what make a good musician. I just like to here the hows and whys to reasons behind musical tastes.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Feb 9 2003, 12:06 AM
"the author of the helping and friendly book"

err I think that's what it's called, is one of the funniest songs ever.

icculus
would be the name of that tune

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Feb 9 2003, 12:06 AM

Mr. Bungle > Phish

well you like who you like. but I must agree Mr. Bungle is kick ass.
well almost any band that Mike Patton has started or performed in is cool.
like tamahawk or faith no more. remember just because I like phish doesn't mean
I'm not in tune with other great musicians

and wildbillhatchbac I forgot about those guys, they do rock. wish I knew they were in town.

pissedoffsol
@,Feb 9 2003, 12:39 AM
why I don't like phish:

their music, although talented, sucks
their music, although talented, puts me to sleep
their music, although talented, reminds me only of smoking weed in 1962
their music, although talented, screams, hello, we want to be the dead, but we are too young :lol:

I can understand your dislikes pertaning to #1,2,3
I'd have to highly disagree with
"their music, although talented, screams, hello, we want to be the dead, but we are too young :lol:"

The music is nothing like the dead, ok maybe some similarities with long jams, but that's were it stops.
I can see were people might get the idea that phish wants to be the dead only in the fact that people gravitate in large groups and follw them anywhere. But I can assure you if you listen to the dead religiously like I do, and then throw on a phish cd. you'd be none the wiser to say I'll be damned their music is differnt.

You all got to remember I'm prolly the most open minded eccentric individual any of you will meet.

hell if you've got a band you think kicks ass, send it my way I'm always looking for something new to listen to.
be it jazz, rock, rap, hip-hop, acid rock, punk, metal, hardcore, indie, r&b, whatever it's all game.
now whether or not I find the music to be of a musicians stature that's another story.

that said, download...

better than ezra (older stuff is better, some what big in the early to mid 90's)
ben folds (five) great pianist (ha ha i said pianist)
not a secret band, been out for a while but "Live" kicks ass

Other bands that were somewhat big but died along the way that kicked ass were
Wallflowers
Spong
Spin Doctors
Buckcherry (best song is "for the movies"
Gin Blossoms

Enjoy!

better than ezra (older stuff is better, some what big in the early to mid 90's)
heard of em only heard stuff on the radio, maybe it's time to give em a go

ben folds (five) great pianist (ha ha i said pianist)
have some of there stuff

not a secret band, been out for a while but "Live" kicks ass
is this actually a band or is it pertaining to ben folds five
which is actually four now correct.

Other bands that were somewhat big but died along the way that kicked ass were
Wallflowers
Dylan is great

Spong
finally a new one, I'll have to go looking for some

Spin Doctors
Good shit

Buckcherry (best song is "for the movies"
hmm, think I've heard the name. are they differnt than buckeyecherry ?

Gin Blossoms
got em.

i like just about every type of music but i can't stand country . . . yesterday i bought the new 50 cent CD and the new Audio Slave CD . .. now who does that? and as far as phish goes . . . its like a cult or something, i like a few of thier songs but i could never be a big follower. i like my woman shaved and the civic just wouldn't be comfortable around all the old VWs

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 9 2003, 12:58 PM
"Live"...

its a band, some of there good songs are

Overcome (acoustic or normal both are good)
Lightning Crashes (also title of cd, most songs from it is good)
The Dolphins Cry (also title of cd, half of it was good.)
Iris

Originally posted by asmallsol+Feb 9 2003, 01:19 PM-->
@Feb 9 2003, 12:58 PM
"Live"...

its a band, some of there good songs are

Overcome (acoustic or normal both are good)
Lightning Crashes (also title of cd, most songs from it is good)
The Dolphins Cry (also title of cd, half of it was good.)
Iris

totally read it wrong, and I must say. Live mental jewlery ownes

There seems to be two kinds of people that are really into Phish. hippies, and people who are into music as much as we all are into our cars. They are a very talented group of musicians however at the same time unless you fall into one of the groups mentioned above the pretty much suck

Ben folds five sounds very familiar,where are they from?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 9 2003, 02:28 PM
Ben folds five sounds very familiar,where are they from?

There only big hit was Brick. The band split up and now it is just called Ben Folds and he does a solo panio act (really good) Go down load some of there music, most of it is pretty good, a diffrent kind of music than everyday stuff.

Sorry I got into this a little late, things have been pretty hectic here. I used to go to school in Boulder Colorado. That is reason enough to dislike Phish. For those that do not know Boulder, The playlist there consists of Phish, the Dead, Bob Marley, and The Dave Mathews Band. I can't stand any of the other listed either. I know it sounds short sided, but when ever I hear any of those people I think snotty, trustfund, white kid in a new Passat that Mommy or Daddy bought. Phish bores me. I am not sure why, but they feel like a long jam session, not like a cohesive unit. I have nothing against listening to tunes that are really long (Parliament and Maceo Parker to name a few have some incredibly long tunes), but they have to sound as a band, not as a group of individuals on stage at the same time. $35 is too much to see one band IMO. I haven't paid more than $18 for a ticket to a punk show ($18 was for Reel Big Fish and Goldfinger). Everytime I see The Mighty Mighty Bosstones they bring at least one other good band along and I pay $15 to see them. Oh, and Dave Mathews can't sing worth a damn. I know, you're going to say "You listen to punk, they can't sing either". The difference is they never claimed to be vocalists. They are about a message, and about an energetic presence. Dave Mathews sings like he thinks he is a vocalist, but it is all through his nose. He needs to give it up.

Nick: I used to say the exact same things about rap until I lived with Chris (dohcvtec_accord). He introduced me to old school rap and hip hop. Groups and rappers that I have never heard of. He has some great stuff that doesn't sound like anything that is on a hip hop or rap radio station. That stuff is all crap.

Brian: You can't knock punk or ska until you have gone to see a show. Punk and ska don't play well on a CD. It is completely lacking the energy that the bands have on stage.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 9 2003, 12:14 PM

well you like who you like. but I must agree Mr. Bungle is kick ass.
well almost any band that Mike Patton has started or performed in is cool.
like tamahawk or faith no more.

word. Mike Patton is probably the only 80's rocker (not that he was anywhere near the norm) besides axl rose who could have performed "easy" with any taste. I loved their version. I think "evidence" is my fav. There's nothing wrong with phish IMO, their popular but have remained largely underground. Maybe they are the new band of trust fund weenies, I wouldn't know. But it's still the truth

mr bungle > Phish :D

Wow, I must have missed this topic. Anyway....

I dislike Phish because their music bores me. There's nothing exciting about it. It's one song, on and on, with no changes in key. They play glorified scales. It was the same way when I went to see Medeski Martin & Wood in concert. I loved these guys' music when I heard it on their albums, and they have some great songs on the Get Shorty soundtrack. I went to listen to them live, and I fell asleep. It was a bunch of guys on stage, seeming to experiment with their instruments and see how long they could play the same couple of bars over and over again.

I've felt the same way about Phish in their music I've heard. Trouble is, I've only seem them perform live once, and it was on TV. I've just LISTENED to their music, and it bored me to death. I can only imagine what they would be like live. I'm in complete agreement with Eric (lsvtec)....their music lacks cohesiveness. It's like they just get up there with some noise-cancelling earphones on, and just start playing their instruments.

That said....onto the rap issue. The major problem here is, when younger people (shit, listen to me, I'm only 25) today think of rap, they think of the shit that's on the radio like Jay-Z, Nelly, Ludacris, etc. It's pure shit. Even Puff Daddy. He's the king of shit, and who I hold somewhat responsible for the degredation of rap music. No one thinks of EPMD, KRS-One, Eric Sermon, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, De La Soul...I could go on and on. No one plays that stuff anymore. Radio? Nope. MTV? They stopped playing music a long time ago. The time that I'm talking about was before gangstas, before bling-bling, before anyone stopped caring about writing original lyrics or pleasing the fans. I can't listen to any of the local "hip hop" stations, because they never play anything worth listening to. The only places I can find are internet stations. Anyone here might want to check out http://www.smoothbeats.com , it's a streaming internet site that usually has some good stuff. They've got their share of crap, but it's mostly good stuff.

[/rant]

OK now when I think of rap and hip-hop....i tend to think of groups like Jurassic 5, Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, and the old school stuff mentioned before by dohcvtec_accord. Even though rap/hip-hop isn't my 1st choice of music, I give them the highest kudos (they being the bands mentioned above) for being able to freestyle and come up with GOOD songs. A prime example is the band the Roots...saw them @ the Coachella music festival here in SoCal and one of the rappers (can't remember their name) crafted a whole song based around 1 word that the audience suggested. I was extremely impressed.

And running with the point that lsvtec was making. In order to REALLY appreciate a punk band...you need to see them live. Once I saw my first punk show (it was actually on New Years Eve and I celebrated news year @ the concert) and I saw Pennywise (who I saw last Saturday), Voodoo Glow Skulls, Thrice, and a bunch of others and it blew my mind to see the energy they put out. I've been to other concerts before and even though it wasn't my favorite concert, it was still one of the most memorable. Ozzfest 99 and Incubus/Deftones/Taproot are probably my favorite concerts. Well all the Incubus concerts were memorable in their own way. And don't make me start on how Incubus is a great band! :D Ok there's my $.02

:werd: to the Roots. I've yet to see them live, but I really dig their music. It goes back to when rap and hiphop were good and actually enjoyable to listen to.

I,ve heard a few phish songs, my favorite one is their cover of the cheers theme song, that song is the shizzy!! :D

Try the BigWig cover of the Cheers theme. That one rocks.

Chris, wouldn't you say that Punk is a whole lot better live than on CD. I know you don't care for most of the stuff I have played for you, but BigWig put on one hell of a show. Then the Bosstones came on a put one a better show.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 11 2003, 06:24 PM
That said....onto the rap issue. The major problem here is, when younger people (shit, listen to me, I'm only 25) today think of rap, they think of the shit that's on the radio like Jay-Z, Nelly, Ludacris, etc. It's pure shit. Even Puff Daddy. He's the king of shit,

:withstupid:

it's all about grand master flash. When I was stationed in england they had a show of his from some small club so long ago he was just being called "flash". just him and another guy and someone working the table, classic. Anymore you got Cube and that's about it, even he's to mainstream now. There isn't much left unfortunatly.

And if I ever meet p diddy dimdam doodad or whatever he calls himself this week I'm gonna unholster my bitchslap goldie style "stab yourself!!"

Back