Airjockie's AE86 Engine Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahf.jpg

Test fitting day.....I had to see if the shit would still fit in there with the other stuff hooked up, like the redtop oil filter extention, carbs, and to get a basic look of what the outcome will be....when ever it's all put together...it will be cool look..but still not as good as what I wanted.....I just dind have the right aircompressor and sandblater to do all of what I wanted to do...ohh well...the upper parts can come off and get cleaned up at anytime...as long as I got the major parts cleaned up and installed, from here on it is time and equipment that will effect the final outcome of the engine....

but I did grab the best head that I have laying around, and started cleaning it up, got the deck, flange ports and valve cover seal area flanges all cleaned up and smooth, next is to port and polish it a little, just to get a tad bit more flow, and then to wait for the headgasket to arrive.

But while I'm waiting...I might as well clean up and paint the spare parts that I have laying around different colors, and get them ready to go on when I want to change the color combos.....hehe...call me a sick fucker....but....at least the parts are cleaned up, sandblasted, corrosion shit applied, then painted...so they should last a lot longer than a few years....even up here in the North-East...

Ann this week, some of the other spare parts will dissapear, and some green stuff inserted into my wallet..so that means I can finance some other project that I have on the burner...hehe...so the mess of the garage will change drastically after this week-end.....thank god :)

so on to the pics....

ahl.jpg

ahm.jpg

ahn.jpg

aho.jpg

ahp.jpg

ahr.jpg

ahs.jpg

aht.jpg

ahu.jpg

ahv.jpg

ahw.jpg

dude... I'm about the drive to your house and put the bitch in myself...LOL!.... anyway glad to see it coming a LOOOOONG...

-Aaron

I just found a house that would be perfect for this car....

hehe...

Looks like my influence has spread to the homeowners around the area....

the house...

Looks like the pink fairy drivers got to that house before you did.

whats wrong with that house? 292,000 is a lot of money.... i may not notice if its a messed up color cuz me is color blind... so wtf mate

UPDATE:09785029834908048923025

Well...after weeks of working on this engine, and getting it ready to run...I'm almost to the point of burn out. But...I drove to NY today to get the free HKS 1mm metal head gasket, and got stuck in traffic for 3 hours.....when I got home, I ate a snack and passed out. But luckily...I had enough energy to get back out to the garage and get more work done. I cleaned up the head gasket...since it was a used one, and wire brushed it for like an hour, getting every peice of crap off of it, then I grinded of the rivits, and took the 3 layer gasket apart, cleaned it up some more.....then layed the freshly cleaned peices on cardbaord, and blasted them with the spray-type gasket maker crap...so they are preped and are laying back together on the block....The head can now go on....yehhhawwwww...

But....

I can't find a part I need for the waterpump to the head. :(

I had a kid come up from MD last saturday, and I loaded up all the spare parts that I had, from Engines, trany's, hardware, driveshaft's, back seats, headlight's......etc....etc...etc...so I can get some crap from the garage removed cheaply...helll...I made $100 on the deal. Even though I could have Ebay'ed everything and make a ton of money, I just wanted the stuff removed...and I think the tube that goes from the head to the waterpump went with him....

So now I got to double check and see if I can find that tube...if not, then I have to make one....it shouldn't take an hour or two to make...ohh well...

But the head is ready to go on, all the parts on the head are cleaned up, sanded, wirebrushed, the exhaust ports are ported and polished, the carbs are finally bolted on the head correctly, and everything is looking good...I got a few more head bolts to clean up and inspect, a few camshaft hold-downs to clean up...and prolly by 12:00 tommorrow, the head should be on, along with the timing belt, and valve covers, I still have to mount the powersteering pump, the altenator upper bracket, make that tube and get the rest of the cooling system bolted down...and then fill the fluids, and crank for a while...hopeing the homemade ring can seat it's self before actually starting the engine......

I'm limited to only one day to get it back together, and running, and then tuned..because the Drift out Friday event in NJ, is Friday...and I have to leave the house by 12:00 pm....The car is going to be a virgin drifter......

Anyways...here's the the motor is sitting now...

aie.jpg

The traffic I had to brave in the Jeep, with fears of it overheating...so no AC in the hot sun...

aia.jpg

and more pictures here of the latest development's...

more pic's...and don't forget to check out page 7.... =)

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Jun 7 2004, 11:53 PM
this might be a little of topic. but i can tell your an initial d fan, and you do some research on the AE86. so can do you know if TRD ever made an engine that reved to 10,000rpm's and made 220hp. i've just been curious ever since i watched that episode. plus my cousin has an 85 GTS Coupe and he is going to sell it to me when he gets a new car for cheap (like $500 cheap).

i dont knwo if anyone else has answered this yet but the engine is real. it is a ae 111 and it is very expensive 15,000 dollars is the average cost. Not just that it is very rare to find. keep me posted on how those carbs work i may want to put some on myself.

Lemme correct most of that,

That is the 4AGE Formula Atlantic. It redlines at 11,500 rpm, makes upwards of 280hp (just as it is) and still remains 1.6 liter. You can build a Formula Atlantic using my friends at toysport.com, or from the Racing program for about $10,000. Also, Formula Atlantic engine components fit regular 4AGE engines, but they don't work right. So don't think about buying one part.

It's a 20v engine (5 per), which can be found in the Silvertop 4AGEs.

-> Steve

Well...another enjoyfull day of working on the car....beer in hand, tools everywhere, sweaty forehead, hot, sore back, thirsty, and a bloody finger from hell...what a living. :roll:

Anyways, got the waterpump pipe made, and fabbed...so perfect, that it should work better than the stock one. Then had to fab up a wood-druf key for the powersteering pump..done. torqued the head on, got the cams installed, and the valve covers on...the header is on, the dizzy is ready to go on, the rad is in, the whole setup is almost done...but then I had to look for parts...again....this time I can't locate the oil-return line fitting that's on the oilpan...and I'm not sure if it went with the kid down to MD...so I will prolly just plug the oilcooler ports, and worry about getting everything else installed....

Just a few more items to install, connect, plug in, and fill all the fluids.....and cross thy fingers :ph34r:

Back