employment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As for the recommendations by some to try construction, it's probably not a great idea. From what I have seen, new construction is bad right now. There are contractors all over that are going under. My job is secure for the most part because at the level our clients are at, this economy problem doesn't stop them from buying something they want for the most part.
Just to express my opinion about construction, I know the op would rather learn about vehicles. The pay-off is much greater in construction, than being a mechanic. I just turned 25 years old and I make more than most 30-40 year olds that have been turning wrenches their whole life. I started when I was 17 and learned every field of trade and read a shit load of books. No type of schooling other than hands on work. If your smart and choose construction later in life, learn a trade that isnt outside work. Since I am a turn-key contractor, I have work all year long. I stay 3-5 months ahead on the books. The amount of New Construction going on around my area I cant lose. IMO you want to make some good money later in life and learn enough to build your house, move to a city thats growing like weeds.

Think about it, if you even learned one trade and master it. (Plumbing for ex.) My sub- plumber usually makes 1700-2400 a day. He's 28, has one helper and pays him 15/hr and they can almost plumb a 2200sq ft house in a day (waste and water).

To the OP, do what cha wanna do, nothing worse than working some where your not happy.

Id rather be making mediocre money doing something I love then great money doing something I'm checking my watch with all day. I know to some that may sound stupid but automobiles are my passion and I couldnt imagine doing anything else with my life as far as a career i concerned. Btw I go in for the machine job in...7 1/2 hours, I should probably get to bed I want to make a good impression.

I guess an update is somewhat in order, I got the job working for the machine shop saturday and at the end of the day fred (the owner) told me he liked my work ethic and my extreme determination and so he offered me a full time job making $7 an hour, he said he'd start training me now and within 3 months he would raise me up to a mechanic position and give me $12 an hour and so to keep a fair amount of money flowing Im working as a painter Mon-Wed -4:30 and at the machine shop Mon-Wed 5-8 and then Thur-Sat 8-8. Its damn tiring but hopefully it'll all pay off

this is a good lesson for you. You'll find most things in life that you truly want to do, or that are important or worthwhile, are the most difficult things. That being said, most often the greater the struggle, the greater the reward. Life has a way of testing everyone.

Another update because well I'm bored -_-
The painting job fired me 2 weeks after I took the job at the machine shop because they manager changed his mind and only wanted full time =/
and about a week ago the machine shop let me go because of "slow profit" so yet again I am unemployed and that leads me to a .....GOD DAMMIT! lol

That sucks to hear man.

Get back out, and try to keep your head up.

Yea i try but sometimes it can be difficult, especially now with everything going on

lol not really but not much I can do but keep going forward, I'll only waste time if I stop and whine about it, which I kind of have done a little but eh I'll get through it whatever the cost.

so, you're taking on a new resident to your household with no job....

i can see the thread already.... lol

lol, she wants out asap so not much more I can do to help her out, I'll figure something out even if it means dept stores *shudders* I'm going back to school in the fall though so eh

I got a brochure from the travel fair at work today I'll scan it and post when I get home. the front of it reads "KAYAK SCHOOL! Kayaks + water = a good time!"

Back