how to lighten my car??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bmcracing

hi i have a 1993 honda civic ex coupe with a b18c1 engine and I am wondering if there are ne good web sites for how to lighten your car up??

so far i have taken out all seats but driver, carpet, all intereor except for dash, all sound deadening shit on the floor, stereo, ac, all crap out of truck, and wondering what else i should do. are there ne places that tell how much the stock fuel tank weighs or nething like that??? i am soon to do full lexan windows and 1 peice front end. my goal is for 1900 lbs with driver. if i can get ne help or nfo i would be happy later

if its going to be a racecar you can take off the bumpers, those things weight a lot.

then i guess you could take off your dash and take out all those vents and junk in there along with all those controls. unbolt anything you can live without. and take out all the bolts that arnt holding anything or that arnt needed. i once saw a guy who took off his trunk and made one out of cardboard and painted it to match his car. take off your exaust pipeing. then get some type of cutting tool and start cutting brakets off that used to hold stuff that you took out of the car. just take everything out that has no purpose.

right now with me in my car it was 2490 lbs. if i was to take off that stuff you just said about what u think i will be at. also i just got me a set of racing rims and slicks and skinnies, the slicks with rims and air weight 20lbs each 22/8/13's 10" side walls, and skinnies weigh 8 lbs each on rim. the old show rims i had b4 with tires weighted 44 lbs each! fucking heavy fucktards lol ne ways just keep hooking me up like that bro

I removed all of the unneccesary BS like vents, heater core, bumper supports, etc. out of my CRX, now I just need to get my ass on a treadmill and lose weight, that is my best option! Haha

does nebody have ne numbers of their cars??? ex weight numbers/hp numbers/ et numbers??? so i can do some comparing. right now with only 165 whp at 2490 lbs with me in there with slippy clutch and heavy ass shit tires i run low 15's high 14's with a 55 shot zex i run low 14s high 13's but rember that is with shitty clutch and tires. i have yet to tryout my new slicks but when i do in 2 weeks from now i will also have my custom turbo kit running at 8 psi on 98 gsr making around 275 whp....

My friend had a 94 hatch, weighed 2200lbs w/ driver, had a sohc @ 278hp, ran consistent 11.70's w/ a good driver.

buying a fuel cell mostly helps because it only holds a small amount of fuel....i wouldnt recomend it unless its primaily drag but i guess it would helpout a lil...cutting out metal always helps...fiberglass dash(lostsof work) basically make it a fucking skeleton with nothing but what you absolutely need. every little bit helps i guess...

fuel cell would help you out. i would also look into bypassing your heater core and removing it along with all of your heating\ac ducts, cutting the reinforcement from doors\hood\hatch or going with CF\fiberglass and removing all the splashshields and mudflaps. If you are ONLY racing on the track removing your bumper beams and reinforcements would save you a ton.

i am only racing on the track, BUT this car is also going to be a daily driver.... so i need enough reinforcement to handel normal driving.
i will not be road racing or nething of the sort. the only racing i do is drag but like i said i have to be able to drive it around town also. I live in houston tx up here the fastest street civic is only a 12 second civic. my goal is become fastest street civic in houston tx. well now that you know my goals and my obstacles that might help u out a bit. i will highly consider totally taking out all my vents and heater and shit, in winter i will just need a coat hehe.

well if its a daily i wouldnt take out the bumpers and those door support beams and the fuel cell wouldnt be something you wanna get if your gonna drive it around either. you dont wanna fuel up everday.

heres a list of shit to remove to get you started

back seats
passenger seat
carpet
sound deadening
spare tire
jack
stereo
speakers
AC
PS
heater core
plastic pannels
roof liner
bumper supports
interior door skins
climate control panel
dash board
air bags
replace rear windows with lexan/plastic
sway bars
exhaust
center plastic (arm rest, shifter area, etc)
put in a roll cage, remove seat belts get harnesses (do not get harnesses without a roll bar / cage)
CF or FG body pannels
tube frame
replace driver seat with stupidly light racing seat
replace side windows with lexan/plastic
replace windsheild with lexan
cut any extra length off all bolts
drill all nuts
drill any non structural metal
light weight battery
remove headlights
remove tail lights
replace ignition with switches
light weight rims
light weight drag racing front brakes
remove rear brakes
remove E brake lever and lines
remove cruise control
light weight LCAs

the list goes on and on
that should give you an idea

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Dec 23 2003, 05:23 AM
My friend had a 94 hatch, weighed 2200lbs w/ driver, had a sohc @ 278hp, ran consistent 11.70's w/ a good driver.

damn.....278 witha single cam?....Props to ur friend....what was his setup

drill like 7 two inch holes out of the back bumper so you can reduce drag from air being caught up back there hey every little but helps

Back