HP TouchPad for $99/$150 for 16GB/32GB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if youre looking for a tablet or something to surf, u cannot beat this price. at $400 its a rip, but at $100, you have nothing to lose.

I've been using mine instead of a computer while I watch tv, it seems to fit the bill quite well.

just an update, hp is going to produce one more run to get rid of the excess components while retaining the clearance price.

ubuntu and froyo has been ported but its very rough at this point. It appears to be most devs are waiting for ice cream sandwich as gingerbread source codes havent been released and be designed specifically for tegra.

still waiting to get mine, haha. oh well

I may put in a good effort when the next round come out. I already have a Galaxy Tab but for 100 bucks its just to cheap to pass up. And I am a WebOS fanboy at heart :( RIP Palm Pre

the best part about webOS is the pure openness. you dont have to root, jailbreak, hack, inject custom roms, etc... just turn on the developer mode and you're good to go on running brews and overclocking. best part? to turn on developer mode, you just type in the "Konami Code:"

upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

I'll snag one when the next round comes out. That is simply too cheap to pass up!

Any idea where the next round will show up? I heard basically in stores only.

I ordered 10, split between two places and both orders were cancelled in the first wave.

Thats the rumor I heard.

These things sold like hot cakes. I got on the train pretty fast. I was away for vacation in Lake Tahoe and figured that no one had gotten the message in Nevada. Carson City was sold out at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, and a few other stores by the time I went there the next day.

I don't know why anyone would want this thing. It's like buying a Daewoo in 2000. You knew they were closing....

sorry b, going to have to disagree. daewoos are pos, made from pos, so even if you clearanced a pos, it's still a pos.

however, as i mentioned, the BOMs on these things are at least $300, so for every one HP sales, it loses at least $200. thats not including research, marketing, etc... and these things arent chinatown and fall apart tablets, but relative high quality ones that match all the high end tablets.

-dual-core cortex a8 @ 1.2ghz (easily clocked to 1.5gh which is the rated speed)
-1GB RAM
-16GB/32GB NAND storage
-9.7" capacitive touch screen
-IPS LCD panels with LED backlights
-Adreno 220 GPU

those specs are pretty much the top of the line. the other $400-500 tablets will have exact configs except maybe different flavors of the Cortex A9 eg (Tegra Nvidia 2, Samsung, Apple A5).

true, the a9 with its out-of-order execution and better alogarithms yield an extra 20% cpu performance, the qualcomm S3s make up with 20% more speed, so they pretty much come out even. lastly, with the adreno 220, its the best performing gpu in its class, slightly ahead of the PowerVRGX540 in the iPad2 and the like.

the major downfall is the death of webOS, but there is currently a $2500 (and growing) prize for whoever can port andriod 2.3 onto it, so people are scrambling and there has been varying level of successes.

lastly, one of the best futures for devs and hackers is that you can create a 2GB bootable partition that can help you recover from any bricks, in essence, its really really really hard to FUBAR it.

i only suggest getting any tablet as a toy or as a tertiary machine. its neat to play with and convenient, but the reality is, its a blown up smart phone and cant even match the computing experience a craptastic netbook offers.

to say its like buying a daewoo, is wrong. id akin it to buying a clearanced corvette if GM wasnt salvaged by the taxpayers.

ps hp officials said itll be on their websites, but its up to individual retailers to continue the $99 price, which hp will honor on their site. eta is a few weeks; id chance it and say around or near october when the holiday sales take off.

to those looking for one, i suggest keeping an eye out on slickdeals, hp home and hp small business websites.

I don't know why anyone would want this thing. It's like buying a Daewoo in 2000. You knew they were closing....

Because at this point, software makes tablets.

The hardware is all there and relatively similar. The Touchpad has good specs and will be open to Android.

Its the same reason why you can buy a Nook Color, hack it, and have a tablet for $200.00. With this, you get an even bigger screen and better processor for $100.00.

to those looking for one, i suggest keeping an eye out on slickdeals, hp home and hp small business websites.

I didn't even post about slickdeals here, but there's already the slickdeal effect.

That site is great, but I didn't know so many people would come out of the wood work and be in the know because of the site. Scary.

i frequent the site, at least 3-4 times a day even if im not gonna buy anything lol. i know mike (calesta) did too.

however, i think with the touchpad it was kinda everywhere, but the people on slickdeals found out the evening before.

people on SD forums are saying some e-tailers are honoring auto-notifies and giving them first dibs (newegg and amazon)? i dont know how much is true, but good luck man.

ps fatwallet is also decent too, but they tend to steal a lot of deals from slickdeals and repost them.

I use my TouchPad when I don't need the power consumption of a full notebook. I use it in the kitchen, when on the couch, when I have a party (MythTV remote, iTunes remote, and bartending), and when I am on a trip because it's a hell of a lot easier to fedex my work laptops and most of my gear for next-day delivery and just use the TouchPad when I'm in airports and hotels for the first day.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have netflix streaming yet, and navigating the netflix site is a little cumbersome.

If you havnt done it yet make sure you load Preware on that bad boy. They may have netflix already. It's been about a year since I've messed with WebOS

If you havnt done it yet make sure you load Preware on that bad boy. They may have netflix already. It's been about a year since I've messed with WebOS

Yep, I've got preware. No netflix yet, because it's silverlight, not flash. :(

Back