Father Son Project any advice appreciated.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just a quick update (sorry still no pics, I charged the camara but it was raining and crappy all day.)

Today we picked up two Acura integra GSR's both with B18c1 engines and one of them already has a turbo kit. Both of them will need work but in the end I'll come out back at $0 witch will leave me with the full budget for performance :)

The first integra is a 2000 with some front end damage from a collision.

The second one has all good front end parts. The idea is to take the second ones powertrain out and use the good front end parts and windscreen to fix the first one. I'm hoping I can get about 4k out of the 2000 once I get it fixed up.

This will leave me with a B18c1 complete swap, and a shell minus the front end components needed to fix gsr #1.

Tomorrow hopefully the weather will be nice enough for me to take pictures of all 3 cars so you can all see the progress.

So as it sits I have a b18c1 swap with a turbo kit. (not sure what kind of turbo the kit has currently)

My question is this. Will I need to get different drive shafts for the b18c1 swap into the crx? Also is the tranny that comes stock on a 96 GSR any good or should I start hunting down the perfect tranny for 1/4 times. If so which tranny do I need.

Also is there anything I need to know before I pull the zc out of the CRX and drop in the b18c1?

Also curious if there is a market for a ZC motor? If so what can I expect to get out of it. The more money I make back the more this allows me to put into the car :)

Thanks again for all the help and I really do promis to get pics of everything up ASAP :)

stock GSR tranny is the best all around Honda tranny IMO

cool deal on the GSRs ..

X3 I ran a Hydro GSR trans in my previous hatch and loved it, great gearing.

on the axles use the ones from the integra, I think you can use the spindles and everything from the teg and it is a direct bolt on swap (I think*) so you can get the bigger brakes as well over the stocker CRX brakes.

X3 I ran a Hydro GSR trans in my previous hatch and loved it, great gearing.

on the axles use the ones from the integra, I think you can use the spindles and everything from the teg and it is a direct bolt on swap (I think*) so you can get the bigger brakes as well over the stocker CRX brakes.

Yeah if I'm remembering properly everything from the integra should fit (both axles and intermediate shaft) on the crx. Since you have the whole car (2 in fact) you should be good.

Without further delay here is some media for you guys :)

Here are some pics of us gathering metric stuff at the local PullAParts. Sorry for the few pictures with odd coloring. Somehow my camara got set to this crap and I didnt realize it till after a few shots.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Here are some shots of the Cars being used for the project.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

I have a video I am editing now that gives some info about each car and and explanation of why I am doing this.

Big thanks to all who have contributed input. As you can see I am taking most of the recommendations supplied in this thread. :)

More updates soon!

My father started doing the diagnostic on the green gsr(car that will be used to make money back for the race funds / or my mother might commandeer it) today. Here are some pictures of the process.

The car had a miss, so the first thing we did was pull the plugs to make sure everything was working correctly.

3.jpg

We noticed that the #2 plug was looking a bit torched.

5.jpg

The next step was a compression test.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

#'s 1, 3, and 4 were doing good but #2 was showing 30lbs :(

So the next step was to pull the valve cover.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Everything seemed to be good so we figure that its the exhaust valves. We didn't have a camera scope at the house so we may do one of two things. We may just pull the head off the red gsr(donor car) and go with a b16 head on the b18 block(off the donor car) for the race car... Or we will take it to the shop and put it to the scope to see exactly what is causing the problem.

After doing some reading and talking to a reputable local honda builder we may investigate the b16 head swap for the b18 block. We are assuming blindly that this is desired because of the valve size??? I'm sure there is more to it than that. We have been told that it will require a oil line to be ran but no big deal. If anyone has any more insight on this, any info would be appreciated.

Ill try to finish up the video editing and get a vid up soon!

Thanks again for all the support and help! This board/community is awesome. I am really glad I registered!

the b16 head on a gsr (b18c1) block is highly desirable for turbo applications. The head from the b16 flows at a much higher rate than the gsr head.

We have been told that it will require a oil line to be ran but no big deal. If anyone has any more insight on this, any info would be appreciated.
B18A/B1 (nicknamed LS) motor with a B16/GSR/ITR VTEC head is called an LS/VTEC which does require an external oil feed for VTEC to operate. B16A, B17A, B18C1, B18C5 blocks already support VTEC so you can use any head you want.

Last edited:
So I have been doing research into the computer/tuning side of things. (even though I have a ways to go before I get there).

I just wanted to make sure I understand this correctly. If anyone can correct my misunderstandings or give more insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Being that my donor car is a 96 GSR, I have determined that it is a p72 ecu. From that I was able to determine that this is OBD2.

From my research there is little known about OBD2 and tuning. I have found some after market mods for the OBD2 ecu's but it doesnt seem like the development is behind OBD2 and that there is more available for OBD1 ECU setups.

If this is the case I believe I read a way to convert from OBD2 to OBD1 to take advantage of the tuning capabilities.

Is this a simple conversion? Which ECU do I want to start looking for to perform the conversion? Any input is appreciated.

looks like the boosted teg had Defi gauges.. those arent cheap.. score!

as far as ecu's and tuning goes.. if you go obd1, get a p28.. should run under $100 for the ecu

Last edited:
looks like the boosted teg had Defi gauges.. those arent cheap.. score!

as far as ecu's and tuning goes.. if you go obd1, get a p28.. should run under $100 for the ecu

I'd tend to agree. If you've got the intake that went with that B16 use that too, otherwise make sure the butterflies on the gsr intake are open so you have longer intake runners.

As for your question about whether you should drop the car to OBD1, yes you should if you'd like a lower budget tuning package. Not sure what the Ohio emissions laws are but you might even be able to get away with it come inspection time (if you have one). I know some states require OBD2 cars to stay OBD2 to be driven on the road legally.

Last edited:
You definitely got a score on those cars.

there's easily a couple grand of usable parts in there from the tail wastegate, looks like it has injectors and a useable Ic as well.

going to obd1 is probably your best bet for tuning purposes.

You're going to be in a bit of a wiring nightmare using an obd0 chassis with an obd2 motor with obd1 electronics, but it can be done.

Update:

Made some headway on the website. Toxic Racing

I have a "Live Streams" page that has two cams wired in my garage. The idea is to have these going all the time. I've had to run a ethernet cable from my office down to the garage to get it working properly but it works!

We are hoping to tear the head off the red GSR and put in on the Green GSR tomorrow live on cam. We will be making upgrades to the feeds and audio gear as we go.

I've set up a twitter you can follow (if your nerdy like me :p) ToxicRacing.com (ToxicRacingTeam) on Twitter I will use this to post up when we plan on working on the cars. I have a wireless headset that we will wear from time to time to chat with everyone on the Live Chat feed(provided by stickam and ustream).

If an administrator is reading this I'd really like to put a honda swap link in my partners section. I'd also like permission to throw out the name in our youtube vids. Let me know if this is okay and I will get one made up pronto.

I really appreciate all the support so far and I cant wait to see where this goes!

PM B about the links.

Please replace those tail lights. They suck more now than when they came out like 12 years ago.

PM B about the links.

Please replace those tail lights. They suck more now than when they came out like 12 years ago.

Yes, luckily they gave me the original taillights. I've been trying to tell my father how fail they are but everyone that sees them says "I like the taillights." /facepalm which is making it really hard for me to further prove my point. I prefer the stock CRX tail lights myself.

Thanks for the reference. I'll try to get in touch with him.

Why do you need to prove anything to them. Its your car so if you think they are fail (which they are) then change them.

In just a bit were gonna pull in one of the gsr's and start working on the project.

Feel free to join us :) Live Streams | Toxic Racing

And dont worry, Ill be getting those tail lights off of it ;) The good news is they are just tail lights and not something that will effect my 1/4 time ;)

My friend was running mid 11 in a 1/4 with a b18c n/a build. he put in a cage and it dropped him to the 12.
Just to give you an idea what you can accomplish with a crx and a gsr motor

My friend was running mid 11 in a 1/4 with a b18c n/a build. he put in a cage and it dropped him to the 12.
Just to give you an idea what you can accomplish with a crx and a gsr motor

Thats awesome man! I'm glad to hear it. I checked out the thread on the crx boards you had. Awesome stuff man! Thats one hell of a project you took on!

For any that have been following this thread, I have decided to spare all the boards with constant spamming and have been just updating the website Toxic Racing

Its pretty much a blog site with constant updates of our projects. Ive got some window vinyl's and some cool shirts on order for anyone that wants some funny t-shirts and to support the projects and development of the site. We've been getting tons of emails and requests for more cams in the garage so we've called the isp to upgrade to road runners newest upgrade. "Road Runner Extreme". I'm just happy that they once again offer uploads over 1MBps :huh: . This will allow me to run some more cams and if all goes well increase the quality.

Thanks again for all the support and help :)

Back