Garage Golf Simulator Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
Seemed to be some interest in my Golf Simulator build so i figure id make a thread about the build and the costs:

You can definitely build this cheaper, especially if you are handy and or have some of the components already. I bought everything so it was pricey:

1) Optishot 2 Golf Simulator - Search the net for pricing but i bought one BNIB for $318 shipped and tax from Amazon

2) Carls Golf Simulator Cage-Mine is the 7'7H x10xL x5'D with the Preferred Impact Screen and 8' Side nets which was $890 shipped
Carl's Golf Sims

3). 1" EMT Pipe from Home Depot for Carl's cage. Once you pick your cage from Carls, get the specs and have HD cut the pipe to spec. mine was $110
1" EMT pipe for Carls Cage Build

3)Laptop/Computer - I bought a Dell Latitude Gaming Laptop 14" HD Display, Intel Core I5-4310U, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M 2GB Graphics Card, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional (Renewed) from Amazon for $479
Dell Laptop

4). Optishot Hitting Mat- I got this so left handed people can swing too This was $319.04

Optishot Mat

5) ViewSonic PS501W 3400 Lumens WXGA HDMI Short Throw DLP Projector - I got this off ebay brand new for $400 but the same vendor is now selling them for $560
Viewsonic Projector

6).Artificial Grass...i messed up here and got 4x9..i should have got 5x10 but no big deal. $60 bucks
Grass

7) Terrashield Projector Floor Mount(has not come in yet)- I realized that i can't have the projector mounted to the ceiling because the Golf Cage overlaps the door leading into the back yard and with the projector to closely mounted to the cage, i can't move the Cage forward to open the door without hitting the projector. So this added to the cost. This was $285
Terrashield Projector Floor Mount.

So...im basically in this for about $2900 bucks. But you can obviously get this done for much cheaper, especially if you can build your own Cage and have a PC or Laptop or Projector already.

You can also just use a net and run to the PC to a TV or just run it directly from the Laptop and hit into a net. I wanted the full experience hitting real golf balls. You can also hit foam balls or not even hit balls at all, just swing over the pad and it will work too.

let me know if you have any questions

20200409_200214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice setup!
Thank for sharing.
How tall are you ceilings? I assume 7'7"? based on your cage size?

The optishot has a slot with sensors just below grade right?
Seems the club would get snagged in there if you have the typical downward swing path that produces a divot.
Or am i misunderstanding how it works?
Have you found that to be an issue at all?
Does it seem to shot shots accurately, like if you hook or slice the ball?
How is the accuracy for length/distance?
Do you need to move the sensor from side to side if you play with a lefty?

How does the floor mount work with the projector? I assume it needs to be in front of you so you don't cast a shadow.

I don't currently have an available space with ceilings high enough to swing, or I'd have one of these already. Save myself $45/hour.

That's a nice setup!
Thank for sharing.
How tall are you ceilings? I assume 7'7"? based on your cage size?

The optishot has a slot with sensors just below grade right?
Seems the club would get snagged in there if you have the typical downward swing path that produces a divot.
Or am i misunderstanding how it works?
Have you found that to be an issue at all?
Does it seem to shot shots accurately, like if you hook or slice the ball?
How is the accuracy for length/distance?
Do you need to move the sensor from side to side if you play with a lefty?

How does the floor mount work with the projector? I assume it needs to be in front of you so you don't cast a shadow.

I don't currently have an available space with ceilings high enough to swing, or I'd have one of these already. Save myself $45/hour.

8FT ceilings so swinging a Driver is tough but it can be done. Here is the good thing about the Simulator though...it will auto select a club each shot based on the distances you tell it that your clubs hit...but it also doesn't know what club you are actually using. So if you wanted to tell it to use a driver, but actually swing a 6 iron, it will measure the club head speed and face angle etc..and give you the distance it expects the driver to go.

Yes it has two slots with a set of Infrared Sensors in each slot... see picture..one for the back swing and one for the follow through. It's really not much different than hitting of a driving range mat. The slop in the back is not an issue for me, though some people buy an aftermarket top for the Optishot to make it feel more real. Its like $85 but the guys has no more.
Aftermarket Optishot Grass top

Its definitely accurate in comparison to my real golf play. IE My 7 Iron goes 170yrds-185yrds on the course and those are the numbers i am seeing from Optishot. You can setup each club in your bag too. So if you know your loft, shaft length, offset for your irons, you can put those into the system by adding your own set so its actually like playing your own clubs.

And yes it will show hooks, fades, draws, slices because it measure face angle.

The Projector Floor Mount would go right in front on the ground or whatever the distance is for the best picture to show up on the screen.

The Mat i bought has the Optishot cutout in the center so you don;t have to ever move it so both left and righty's can swing. But if you don't buy that one or one like it,then yeah..you'd have to move the sensor but it would be a pain in the ass to do that because it sits inside a cutout in the mat and the USB cord usually runs underneath so you'd have to lift up the mat and move the sensor.

20200430_160512.jpg

geeze, quite pricey. i was thinking it would be fun to throw in the basement for a couple bucks, but it's a LOT more than a couple bucks.

do you not use the garage for your car? or you take this down easily?

i got to use one of these at the bowling alley in the lincoln mall. it's pretty cool! and very accurate.

My golf budget for 2019 ended up over the cost of this setup, but it would definitely eat into my budget for 2020.
Looks like a lot of fun though.
The indoor place I frequent has the optical recognition from above.
Seems very accurate, but the cost for a booth is no where near your setup.
I like what you did there. Simple and straight forward.

How many courses in your setup?

geeze, quite pricey. i was thinking it would be fun to throw in the basement for a couple bucks, but it's a LOT more than a couple bucks.

do you not use the garage for your car? or you take this down easily?

I just have to move the hitting mat and sensor inside the cage area..car fits with room to spare
20200430_174321.jpg

My golf budget for 2019 ended up over the cost of this setup, but it would definitely eat into my budget for 2020.
Looks like a lot of fun though.
The indoor place I frequent has the optical recognition from above.
Seems very accurate, but the cost for a booth is no where near your setup.
I like what you did there. Simple and straight forward.

How many courses in your setup?

It comes with 15 courses and a driving range....also has online play and online tournaments....you can buy premium courses for $30 a course

Very cool! I didn't know these were that cheap and accessible. SO back to what I asked, what's your handicap?

Very cool! I didn't know these were that cheap and accessible. SO back to what I asked, what's your handicap?
I just started golfing in summer 2017 ....im all over the place lol...where i usually play i can shoot a 42 or a 56 for 9 holes depending on the day. 88 is my best 18 hole score at said course.

I just started golfing in summer 2017 ....im all over the place lol...where i usually play i can shoot a 42 or a 56 for 9 holes depending on the day. 88 is my best 18 hole score at said course.

Right on! THat's excellent for only a couple seasons under your belt. I'm high 80's and low 90's. Not a great golfer by any means, but my iron game is strong. Just got the JPX 919 Forged. Added another 10 yards.

Right on! THat's excellent for only a couple seasons under your belt. I'm high 80's and low 90's. Not a great golfer by any means, but my iron game is strong. Just got the JPX 919 Forged. Added another 10 yards.

I currently have 17' Callaway Epic 5-pw graphite irons, Callaway Rogue Driver, callaway mack daddy 54, 56, 58, 60 wedges, Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 3Wood, Callaway X2 Hot 3 and 4 Hybrids and a Taylormade Spider Platinum Putter.

One day ill get fitted but not until my temper cools...ive gone through two Callaway Epic Drivers ...smashed them into pieces....soo...yea...golf is expensive as it is

I've got a new to me M4 9.5 driver. Cobra baffler DWS hybrids (2007), King Cobra Carbon CB irons (2007), Cleveland 51 and 56 wedges, and depending on the day a Scotty Cameron Studio Styles putter, or an old school Ping B60.
The irons are definitely above my pay grade, but when I hit it true/clean it feels so good.

Just regripped the irons and hybrids (first time using the air compressor method, worked great), awaiting delivery of new grips for the putters.

s-l640.jpg

I have a great Bag from like 5-8 years ago:

M2 (2nd Gen) 9.5 with a couple custom shafts.
3 and 5 - Titleist 915 Stiff
4-9 JPX 919 with Rifle 6.0 Shafts
48, 52, 56, 60 - Vokey Wedge - Satin Finish Spin Milled
Scotty Cameron Golo D3 with a 1.25 fat grip.

My bag:

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons with black matte finish
Cleveland wedges 56 and 60 degree wedges
Taylormade Burner 22 degree hybrid (rarley use it)
Ping G30 lsTec three wood
Ping G30 LsTec 9 degree driver with upgraded 80g shaft
Odyssey white hot 2-ball putter with SuperStroker grip

All Clubs have Jumbo grips on them except putter

How often do you use this?

I'm going to try and get out for 9 next week after work one day. Warm weather is moving in this week.

Back