Happened to me too... fiancee broke up with me out of the blue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I guess the good news is that im in the best shape of my life right now at 34. Im financially stable, and dont have any debt. The thought of dating seems weird and foreign to me right now, but hopefully ill remember how to do it.

For now im just going to hit the gym even more, and try to go fishing more, and just try to keep my head up. Fucking women, man, such a mindfuck.
Shit, that makes me wish my gf would break up with me, haha.

I agree with everyone. She definitely thinks the grass is greener. But it sounds like she had a pretty sweet deal. God knows I'd never pay a woman's bills.

I say, move out. Make sure August's bills are paid at the old place. If she wants to stay beyond that, it's her problem. And the dogs? Sounds like she can't pay her own bills, I think you should take both.

Remember, sometimes relationships stop you from doing things you'd like to try. Go do those things. If I didn't have a gf I'd be in a much different place. But I'm very happy, so I make sacrifices. Figure out how much you were spending on her every month, and put it aside. In a few months, do something awesome.

sucks. but oh well.

cut the loss and move on.
tell her that since you are now broken up, she has to pay half the rent and utilities, or she has 30 days to get out. life isnt free, and you are no longer bound to support her, especially since she ended it. let her have the dogs. if shes not willing to give them up without a fight, let them go. buy another dog.

if you cant buy the place you are in now, then its the perfect time to start looking for a new one. if you find one, break the current lease and go.

remember, ripping a bandaid off quickly is better than slowly peeling it away.

I'm getting entirely too much use out of this damn pic lately :(

1249244488284.jpg

dam that blows man....sorry to hear that....same thing happened to me, though not as deep into a relationship as you were...my story is on this board somewhere....it's easy for people to say, just let her go and move on...hell you guys were together a long as fucking time....that's a lot of blood sweat and tears invested into someone....I'm not all about telling you to move on. Do you want to be with her or are you ok with her just up and leaving? I would say fight as hard as possible if she love her and want to be with her. Though, oddly, letting her go sometimes works out because she will realize what she is missing.

I feel really bad for you man...sucks sucks sucks

^ I get this... I do. It just doesn't work. At least not in my past experiences. If she wanted to work on stuff, she would have said 'lets work on stuff' not 'im out'. She already gave up. There's a .000032432% chance of her coming back from that.

As much as I WANT to agree with the disregard/acquire picture, and as much as it sucks when it all goes away, I can't. The good times are worth the shit that usually comes out of it or after it. Sharing life and seeing stuff with someone you are close with is worth it. And if it fails, you leave with new experiences, more understanding about yourself, about the opposite sex, etc.

Eleanor should have taught us all that you can't appreciate success without failure. We're all chasing it....one way or another. In the meantime, grow from it. Next time, make it even better, see different things, do different stuff. Expand your horizons. There's a LOT of world out there waiting for you. and, 8 billion-odd females....

I want to be with her. We had a great thing going, life was good. Now everything is going to change, Im not excited. I tried to have a good talk with her last night (she broke up with me the night before last), but it didnt go well. I got frustrated, got angry, said some stuff she didnt like. Basically, i asked her how her life was going to be better now? and how she was going to afford living without me. she took that as me being an ass, trying to assert my authority over her or some shit. i think she said something like "that hurts my feelings, you dont respect me, you dont think i can do stuff on my own"

I was talking about moving out, but she made it clear last night that she wants to move out and she is suggesting i stay here and take my time finding somewhere else to live (i should have some time, landlord is just now putting the house up for sale). Seems easier to me that way, but it would be nice if she got out sooner than later.

Eleanor as in this eleanor?
yes

I want to be with her. We had a great thing going, life was good. Now everything is going to change, Im not excited.
Yup. the change is the worst part. You get used to a certain life and all of a sudden it's different and you miss it. I miss the things we did almost as much as I miss her.

The good thing is that you can do things with other people too.

I tried to have a good talk with her last night (she broke up with me the night before last), but it didnt go well. I got frustrated, got angry, said some stuff she didnt like. Basically, i asked her how her life was going to be better now? and how she was going to afford living without me. she took that as me being an ass, trying to assert my authority over her or some shit. i think she said something like "that hurts my feelings, you dont respect me, you dont think i can do stuff on my own"

yeah, bad play man... I get it. I've done it. But all it does it make stuff worse. You just gave her a reason to prove to herself that she doesn't need you.

I was talking about moving out, but she made it clear last night that she wants to move out and she is suggesting i stay here and take my time finding somewhere else to live (i should have some time, landlord is just now putting the house up for sale). Seems easier to me that way, but it would be nice if she got out sooner than later.
She must have something lined up, or cash saved up for a first and last.... this didn't just happen over-night. This was a long time coming it seems.

Didn't you just buy her a new car too? are you going to let her keep it?

Last edited:
I just gave her $1k on top of her trade-in to get the interest rate down really low. The loan is in her name, and she is making the payments (the first one came due and i had to help her with it, even though she said her side job is doing well enough to afford the payments lol). Whatever though, guess its not my problem now.

So yeah, ive never had a breakup in such a serious relationship, i fucked up last night and was an asshole. I see that now. But her mind is made up. She just came home from work acting like nothing is wrong. I dont know why, but i started crying, and shes like dont get all upset right now, im about to go for a run, i dont want to get upset too. Fuck. This is giong to suck, i may have to leave.

I feel that man.... stay out of the house. call a buddy. go bowling or something stupid and just be away from her. You're basically getting divorced at this point in time, and it's NOT going to be easy because you still want to be with her.

For her to be this calm, she's been thinking about it for a while.

Yelling, fighting, arguing, etc gets nothing accomplished.
yet, the silence is deafening.

Stay busy. Stay away from her.
Listen to a lot of music.
Listen to music you never would before... new genres that you aren't exposed to. Take it as a chance to try new shit.

Pick up a new hobby. buy a cheap guitar and take lessons and practice a lot. join a league like bowling or pool or something. The next few weeks are going to be absolutely miserable.

It gets worse before it gets better, but then, it gets easier a little bit at a time. But if you sit and dwell on it, you'll never get over it.

While she's still living there, its going to be hell. Crash a few nights at friends and stuff if you can and if you can't, just sleep there. be out until its time for bed and leave at sunrise. She wants the dogs anyway, make them her problem.
Mourning sucks.
You'll feel lonely and miserable, and like some other threads we've had, a lot of self-worth problems.... thinking what you did wrong or didn't do good enough... it's a dead end. Those answers don't exist. Stop trying to figure it out. It will never happen.

Focus on yourself. And the hardest thing, is stop doing anything for her. Like packing, fuck that.. let her pack and move herself while you sit on the couch watching man movies on spike or some shit. She doesn't care enough about you to stay with you, so stop caring about her and her needs right back.

I'd tell you to ask for that $1k back, but that might stop her from leaving soon... and that's not what you want.... let it go. I've spent $1000's on chicks over the years like everyone else has and you can't look at it like being owed something when they leave. You volunteered it at that time and there's no taking it back.

You each get a dog. That's what my buddy and his ex did.

I would do that, depends on how close you are to the dogs.
I would fight for my dog, but he is my buddy.

After the 3 year mark of being engaged, she was getting antsy and I could tell she wanted to get married. Now we are getting married in a couple days.

I wonder if you two never fighting had something to do with it. If you two never vent or let things out that is not healthy either. IF we go for a long time without a fight or airing out our frustrations it builds and is even worse.

Just a few things. I'm pooping and plan on just rambling on.

If she is unhappy with the relationship, you helping to support here doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. I'd rather be happy and poor than rich and unhappy. as with most people... In fact, using that as a reason for why she has it good and should stay with you is just mind blowing.

Never having any fights... Jeef touched on this, if you just get annoyed and set it aside, the problems that you don't see on your end, and she doesnt see on her end, NEVER go away, every few months my wife and i have a talk about issues, there's ALWAYS issues and we are such a good match, yet... yup, still have issues. Hell, if there wasnt anything that needed work, and there was zero challenge to it, what fun would that be? Most people need a balance of good and bad. If not you settle into a routine. That's when things get bland and boring, ask any cat how they like chasing a dead mouse.

As B was pointing out, women dont want to work out it, women have a way of being a light switch, truth is, women with issues do that. I've dated my share of women and have a lot of friends in the 25-40yo range that are dating women. Guess what? There's a lot of good ones out there, there's also a lot of unstable women that guess what? are single... Also a lot of men are out there like that too... Goes both ways. Don't blame women for not being able to talk about issues, blame a person who has issues opening up and talking about things. Men and Women both do that.

You supporting her and not "respecting" her, my take on that is she feels like she has nothing going on for herself and without you she's nothing, shes putting in her head that you think like that also. She might be doing this to prove to herself that she can in deed make life happen on her own without help. That's a problem when 1 side of the relationship supports the other. It's not uncommon for someone to feel like they are just a dependent and after awhile have to change things up because they are... unhappy. Throwing that back at her also fuels the desire to prove you wrong.

What was the point of getting engaged? Too much planning? Too much money? Why not just get married and have a wedding at a later date? My wedding had 2 people in it, my wife and me, we paid $40? for the licenses and the process of being married. Being engaged with zero plans on moving forward is a major red flag. As of 2 months ago before any of this came up, realistically when did you plan on getting married?

My advice to you, stop thinking about the whats whys and ifs, it's pointless, shes clearly unhappy at this point, give her space and leave it be, there's a chance that she will step away, start doing things on her own, prove to herself she can do it, and at that point might have a legit talk with you, wont be for awhile and you'll most likely have moved onto someone else. but that's a best case *in a closure kind of way* Not worse case, she leaves and you never hear from her again, worst case, she leaves, can't afford life and comes crawling back to you, at that point you need to have the balls to say, GTFO.

34 is young, you're in great shape, focus on hobbies and things you enjoy doing and someone else will come along that makes you realize that you really were not as close with your ex as you thought you were. Just because you get along, doesn't mean you are a great fit. Life will go out and you'll be much happier in the end, in fact you might even get engaged to someone else and truly look forward to having the wedding within the year with ZERO thoughts on reasons as to why it can wait...

Good luck and remember life goes on and there's 2374983274034 other women out there, chances are a few of them will put your ex to shame in every way possible. Even when you find one better then her, chances are there's another one better then the newest one and another one better then...

Now I must wipe.

The amount of great advice in this thread is amazing. You guys here have better advice than my "real life" friends, thats for sure. Thanks, it really does help to put some perspective on things.

Yeah this place is full of good advice. I'm sorry for what happened to you, man. You were together much longer than the woman I was with, and I still miss her nearly a year later. Best of luck in making your decisions.

If you love someone you will never truly get over them. That's a good thing IMO. I'm glad I remember the few exs I really cared about.

Good memories, keep them, and move on.

Sorry about your situation. I've been in a similar situation (engaged and with her for 5+ years). I remember the emotional roller coaster I went on. It sucks. Not saying this is your situation but, she had someone in her back pocket. No way she was going out on a limb (like she wanted me to believe). To the detriment of my well being, we had about a dozen after the fact "hook ups". What a mind fuck.

I have to agree with a lot of what B is saying. Embrace new stuff and keep busy. Stay away from her as much as possible but be decent when you must communicate. Don't be a dick but don't be a shoulder for her any more. She lost that shit and she hasn't realized that she misses it....yet.

In my experience, her mind is made up and life must now change. Nothing to do now but mend and regain the swagger within yourself. Life has a funny way of tossing shit into your life. Keep your head up and this experience will eventually help you be a better man.

The amount of great advice in this thread is amazing. You guys here have better advice than my "real life" friends, thats for sure. Thanks, it really does help to put some perspective on things.

Your "real" friends are going to tend to tell you what they think you want to hear to make you feel better. A lot of times that's just agreeing with whatever you're saying or thinking. We don't "know" you, so to speak, so it's easier to voice a real opinion.

Hondaswap, a cold, hard, bitch.

But it's definitely going to take time. Not weeks, but months. I know at one point many years ago I had gone to the bar with a good friend of mine to bounce some stuff off him and found myself literally crying in my beer. It sucks. It will get better though.

I would also stay away from women for awhile. Anything new is going to seem like a great exciting thing, but you don't wanna end up in a rebound relationship. It's usually for the wrong reasons.

I am really impressed with some of the advice given out. It used to tend to be contrarian and pessimistic. But now it seems with a lot of the growth of members, it has been awesome. This thread, among others. Kudos.

Back