How did you feel during your swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mine went pretty smooth, however it took a whole day. pulling the old b16 out, an axle got stuck on the downpipe and pulled it out of the cv joint :( that was the only real issue. oh ya, and my base map was fubared, car ran like shit. so i had to re-wire in the stock injectors (had 550cc peak holds) and run stock ecu down to the dyno. at the dyno i found a bolt had fallen into the timing belt cover and ate 1/2 of my timing belt, had to change the belt in the parking lot and all they had was the $$ toda belt. then re-wire in the 550's and finally get it tuned enough to drive... i think my dyno day was more of a nightmare than the actual swap. there are still little things i've been working on/fixing and i've had it for about 2 months now. she's a beast now though :) everything is all worked out now. but i think it needs to be re-tuned for partial throttle daily driving...

i hate letting other people do it, it takes the fun out of it.

i'm really tempted to call and check up, but i'm not sure if thats a good thing to do or not so early. its only been a day. i miss my baby...

I went and saw it today, its got no motor, the new pedals are in, and the new tranny bracket was welded on. When I left they were just about to drop in the new motor. It should be done by tommorow. I'm getting a little excited now...

chain smoked 3 packs of cigs when i cut my teeth on a turbo install.

fucking oil sensor wouldnt come out properly.....bolts seized up.

but that's about it.

i woulda been done much sooner than the 15 hours it took me. but i had friends over and neighbors chilling and i just fucked around doing a little work here, taking a break there.

coulda knocked it out in 5 hours by myself with no "help"

I'm a cheap bastard and don't like to spend money, so thats the only thing I was against. Other than that a few minutes after work each day and whenever I got a day off, took 4 months with the limited time I had.

I did mine in two days, with no help. Having the right equipment helps a lot.

I'd like to watch someone swap a motor in 5 hours. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that is damn fast, and I'd like to see it to believe it. I think if I kept busy, I could do it in 12 hours. I just don't rush at all. I change the oil and check the timing belt, whatever. Plus, the swaps I do have an auto tranny. I pull the tranny with the motor, just to make life easier. I think the other way would be faster, but a little more of a pain in the ass.

Back