Simple ? that I never bothered to ask

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

Just curious why American engines are named by their cubic inches, but import engines are named by their Liters?

Is it as simple as us not using the metric system, or is it something deeper?

Yea, it's just our system.

A liter is 1000ml which is metric obviously. So it's still a measurement of cubic something or other (well volume I mean).

We're still a bit ass-backwards here... not sure why we don't convert to the metric system, it makes a lot more sense. Stuborn I guess.

So why don't we measure our displacement in gallons then? :p

Doesn't matter WHAT you're measuring. Gallons, cubic centimers, liters, etc, all measure volume.

My guess as to why we don't measure domestic engines in gallons is that numbers in the 100-400 range (450 cubic inch engine) look better to the marketing people and thus to the public, rather than a "1.2 gallon engine".

They measure small block Chevy V8s and small block Ford V8s in Cubic inches because that's how it was originally sold back in the era of the muscle cars. A 427 cubic inch monster of a V8 is somewhere in the 7 liter range. If you talk about a 1.8L (110-112) or 1.6L (98) in cubic inches, it sounds puny and laughable. But when you say 350 cubic inch V8. It brings a smile to the guys who like pushrods and pure chevy torque. :worthy:

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Aug 18 2003, 01:45 PM
If you talk about a 1.8L (110-112) or 1.6L (98) in cubic inches, it sounds puny and laughable. But when you say 350 cubic inch V8. It brings a smile to the guys who like pushrods and pure chevy torque. :worthy:

Exactly what I was saying.

Bigger numbers MUST mean more power, right?

:mullet:

metric system > standard system
god, why do we still use this? we need to convert to metric, makes life soo much eaiser.

cubic inch = english system's volumetric unit of measurement

litre = metric system's volumetric unit of measurement

did you know that a foot is actually based on the length of king Henry I of england's ARM??? yep. its exactly 1/3rd the length of his arm.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 18 2003, 01:00 PM
did you know that a foot is actually based on the length of king Henry I's of england's ARM??? yep. its exactly 1/3rd the length of his arm.

He must have been a huge guy then.

If you're as tall as your armspan (which you are)...

That would be three free for each arm, plus what.. 1-2 feet for a torso... was he 8 feet tall?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Aug 18 2003, 03:47 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Aug 18 2003, 01:45 PM
If you talk about a 1.8L (110-112) or 1.6L (98) in cubic inches, it sounds puny and laughable. But when you say 350 cubic inch V8. It brings a smile to the guys who like pushrods and pure chevy torque. :worthy:

When building a Big block Chevy, they go by the thinking that 1 cubic inch is equal to 1 horsepower n/a. I read this in a book somewhere a couple of months back, so i could be completely wrong and mixed 2 things i read together :shrug2:

Originally posted by Hexen+Aug 18 2003, 04:02 PM-->
rixXxceboy
@Aug 18 2003, 01:00 PM
did you know that a foot is actually based on the length of king Henry I's of england's ARM??? yep. its exactly 1/3rd the length of his arm.

He must have been a huge guy then.

If you're as tall as your armspan (which you are)...

That would be three free for each arm, plus what.. 1-2 feet for a torso... was he 8 feet tall?

HAHAH. 8 feet tall? gahdamn.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 18 2003, 04:00 PM

did you know that a foot is actually based on the length of king Henry I of england's ARM??? yep. its exactly 1/3rd the length of his arm.

Riceboy, I'm pretty sure the "foot" comes from olden times when they measured horses and cows in "hands" and "feet". Course I dropped out of HS so WTF do I know.....

I figured it had to do with us not using the metric system, but if that is the case, then why do we say 5.0 litre mustang or 4.6 litre mustang?

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Aug 18 2003, 04:53 PM-->
rixXxceboy
@Aug 18 2003, 04:00 PM

Riceboy, I'm pretty sure the "foot" comes from olden times when they measured horses and cows in "hands" and "feet". Course I dropped out of HS so WTF do I know.....

no, its 1/3 of henry the first's arm. when he conquered france he decided to standardize the unit of measurement that was already called the "foot" (after a roman soldier's foot). there was no standard measurement for it at the time.

Originally posted by XZILER8@Aug 18 2003, 02:26 PM
I figured it had to do with us not using the metric system, but if that is the case, then why do we say 5.0 litre mustang or 4.6 litre mustang?

Because the five point 0 sounds better than a 302.

I think the 302 is the 5 liter? 302's are small engines for performance cars.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy+Aug 18 2003, 05:32 PM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Aug 18 2003, 04:53 PM
rixXxceboy
@Aug 18 2003, 04:00 PM

did you know that a foot is actually based on the length of king Henry I of england's  ARM??? yep. its exactly 1/3rd the length of his arm.

no, its 1/3 of henry the first's arm. when he conquered france he decided to standardize the unit of measurement that was already called the "foot" (after a roman soldier's foot). there was no standard measurement for it at the time.

Gabe. Do you honestly think his arm was over 3 feet long? He would literally be OVER 8 feet tall. I wanna see proof. Can you get a shot of his casket? :p

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Aug 18 2003, 04:47 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Aug 18 2003, 01:45 PM

well then, my 1590000 cubic Milimeters is faster then your 1.8 Liter Engine.

Back