Volvo V70 help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
Well, I made the mistake of being a helpful friend and assisted a guy with putting a radiator in their 04 V70.

what a royal pain in the ass.
its the 2.5T engine.
put the new radiator in and now while driving there is a whistle coming from the engine.
its not a belt squeal. its a high pitched noise that doesnt change in volume or tone while driving. but it only happens while the car is in motion. i believe only while accelerating.
im thinking now it could be the turbo, but it wasnt making any kind of noise before changing the radiator.

Maybe the lack of coolant had an effect and now that coolant is making it back to the turbo its showing the wear?

then, my buddy texts me this morning and said that when his gf went out to start the car it barely started, then sputtered and died. Says it turns on, all the dash lights come on, then cuts itself off at about 50seconds.

any advice?

@civicious

check/change the oil... if there's water in it, a turbo seal could be shot, but you'd likely be able to reproduce that by reving while not moving too.... you won't build much boost, but it will spin.

I should add that it did over heat after the radiator burst. they stopped twice when the temp gauge went above half, or so they said. and let it cool before driving it further.

we got the noise to happen twice while stopped and revving the engine. but, it only did it for a split second. not long enough to actually follow the noise.
couldnt get it to do it anymore than that.

Maybe a boost leak, The 2.5t ENGINE is a good motor, this isn't an v70R by chance is it?

not a r model.

but, theres a lot of water in the oil.
went over and did a compression test and replaced the spark plugs while in there. car starts, but theres still water in the oil.

compression test was (in order from pass side to driver) 150, 130, 150, 150, 130

def a bit of an issue, most likely rings vs head gasket. it blows out a lot of steam from the exhaust. and he said its always burned a little oil.

im pretty sure the turbo is water cooled and im assuming that a seal has gone out and is mixing the water and oil.

fuck, i dunno. was reading earlier and the only thing i could come across as far as the turbo and the mixing of the fluids is somebody stating that its impossible for those turbos to cause cross contamination.
but it def whistles. im just going to tell them to take it to a shop. glad now that i took civicious's advice and didnt buy one. fuck working on the bastards.

Worked at a valvo dealership... NEVER AGAIN!

Besides that it sounds like the turbo spent it self... it is possable for the water lines on the turbo to fail, leak and then they wear on headgasket and the intake manifold gasket... all as you know have oil ports and so on and so forth.... He'd be better taking it to a dealership... Tho an 04 hes proably 3-4 days on the Lines for the Turbo and they proably have the headgasket and intake gasket instock

i talked to a volvo tech today, he said its most likely the head gasket.
also said the turbo sounds to be on its way out. etc.
i told my friend that i would prepare for the worst if he decides to fix it and expect it to be well over 2k (replace the turbo, head gasket, and just assume that the head itself is toast: either cracked or warped)

i told my buddy he should just sell the damned thing and buy a honda.

but, im guessing he wont listen. and he will assume that its just the head gasket that needs to be replaced. then, he will have one of his old guy shade tree friends tear down into it (because "an engines an engine, doesnt matter who makes it" as his buddy told me) and they wont have the head checked or machined. then put it all back together and have the same problem.

Back