even with all my skill i cant fix my car. help please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:werd:
that sucks about the misshift...
car BOGS from 4700-7000. sometimes i will get lucky and for a brief moment the car will have full power in that range, but then still bog. from idle-4700 power is normal.
its kind of odd that its not running funny all the time...
you would think if it were mechanical that it would ALWAYS bog in this range, not just sometimes...
but my first guess would be the valves as well...
my friend did this once and sent some rockers through the valve cover... i think it was 80-90 to 1st...

i vote valves as well. they probably kissed the pistons.

also i should note at idle i can rev freely to 7000 with no issues whatsoever. no bogging.

then again, its not under load.

nice.

fuck. if the bottom end goes out, say hello to forged parts and booooost.

dead_piston_med_01.jpg

dead_piston_med_02.jpg

dead_piston_med_03.jpg

dead_piston_med_04.jpg

dead_piston_med_05.jpg

That's what my shit looked like after a mis-shift to 3rd at 90mph. I can't imagine what yours looks like after going to 2nd.

Kind of irrelvant to this thread but....

That melted due to detonation and/or a lean condition. You can see the little spots where detonation blew the carbon off the top of the piston. There really isn't any mechanical damage, almost all thermal damage.

Usually melting a piston means detonation^.. ....

Anyways, I vote valves too.
The distributor wouldn't rev to 7k normal at idle if that was the problem.

What would make a valve condition run so consistent ?

I've seen this car, and what he describes is accurate. It's consistent RPM, it's not a function of fuel or combustion, Stoich or lean / rich. The valves are fine, the motor is pretty clean. My Civic has the valve issues that you're talking about (Ninja cough) and it doesn't behave like that.

What chris has is, truly, a mystery. It behaves like VTEC only instead of picking a different cam lobe, it just runs like shit. And that system as we all know is called "EcoTec"

Another something else has been brought to my attention.

Maybe after the over-rev the ECU is in a permanent limp mode?

many times.

i actually have a fuse that kills power to the ecu, eliminating the need to open my battery box up.

i ended up buying one of these.

Davis | Automotive | CarChip Products

works good. datalogs and shit. i plugged it in to check my codes against my codepuller, and i accidentally erased the codes before i could "log" them with the carchip.

its got alot of nice features. logs accel/decel/brake/gas mileage and various sensors are supported. not bad for $100!

it also pulls codes and resets the ECU for you.

Valve float. You might have a broken valvespring or retainer... But most likely its just a slightly chipped or bent valve.. Which is why its only doing it at high rpm's, when the harmonics of the motor are stretched the most.

One of my friends civic had a few bent valves. The car bogged down a lot, and he was able to drive it about 15k miles after he bent the valves without any problems other than being slow.

yeah. i cant remember the numbers but they are on with the manual.

Back