The NX, so far

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If I do, yeah. If not it's no big deal. This NX is going to be sweet when I'm done with it - but it's going to be financially difficult (I knew that from the beginning).

The Mustang is really the only new car that I'm interested in, so I'm not looking for a new car. My Civic lately has been getting 30 ish mpg, the Mustang is rated at 21/29 (I drive a mix, and always get more mileage out of a car than normal) So it's a premium of about $500-$800 a year for gas. The Mustang V6 harkens me back to the Supra NA - They are both very similar (Mustang being faster and actually... better balanced god what am I saying !?) And it's more my style of car. With the NX built as a daily driver (I'm now thinking of just SR20DE power.. Not like I turbo a lot on my way to and from work) I was going to build up a 1984 Supra as a drifter / autocrosser.

The Mustang didn't make a lick of sense, until I started thinking about how I can make a lease work for me. With nothing down on it ($900 out the door) and the lease covering my taxes, it's a $320 monthly bill with a (now) $8000 buyout at the end. That's less my monthly modding budget.

Modding a car and building one also tends to take away time better spent actually driving a car - taking road trips and the like. Going somewhere like Pennsylvania or New Hampshire on the weekends is simply something that I don't do anymore and I want to do.

The NX will be mint, but the slightest hit to it's chassis spells the end. With it's numerous hits, the body is on and aligned by magic alone, and I can't fix it now well enough (Because then nothing will line up!) so it's a do-or-die scenario.

If Toyota still made a Supra, in 3rd gen style with some goodies tacked on, and then sold it for $17,500, would you buy it ? Well this is basically that car. That, and I really like the 4.0 liter Ford motor. The new Mustang also introduces all sorts of possibilities of later transplanting the V8 into the body, and the LSD rear (9" still!) and making the car a lower-insurance screamer. I think that the combination that I've found also will work out in the future for resale. I've given the market some time, and while Mustangs aren't rare - they aren't all over the place. Used 05s still go for their retail - or with the proper trim - MORE.

As far as modding it and driving it - I'm blowing away the Lease contract and you know you'll see the car with wheels, suspension, and engine bolt-ons in no time. Basically, a US made Supra in my book.

Oh, and the NX is going to cost me about $4000 before it even hits the pavement which is a difficult pill to swallow.

Project NX Missile is BACK ON.

The Ford dealership was a bunch of fucking scum bags. So I went to a third dealer to start over.

And they gave me the most killer deal of them all. And, I'm getting very good at dealing with dealerships.

So I give him $900. And he does the paperwork. And then he comes back and says "You went to Steven's ford, didn't you ?"

I said "Yeah."

"And what do you think that did?"

"I dunno. What?"

"Ford finance has a non-compete policy. We can't touch you for a lease for at least 3 months. And it may be longer, not sure."

:eek:

So there we go. No mustang.

The only thing that is going to kill it for me is the quote on the body work. IF it's too ridiculous, then it's stupid to do it. So I'll wait, drive the Broodwagon for a bit, and then go at it again in a few months.

-> Steve

its OK steve. all your base are belong to us.

Steve.... build a little rat of a nissan, learn that you spent to much money repairing it and sell it, eventually end up buying another toyota and be happy.

Stagnation. I've owned almost all of the good Toyotas, and a Supra is still a bit too expensive. (4th gen TT that is)

I'll try later. I still have to see what my hourly build up for the Nissan will be. I mean, it could actually just cost $1000 for the paint and body. Who knows. Even at the $4000 before road worthiness I figured it was still better than a $4000 downpayment on a new car. Then I learned how I can make a lease work for me, and was hooked. Bad timing to learn something new.

Also the Ford GT is awesome, and carries a $40,000 mark-up.

Theres a pair of Impulse turbo's on ebay...

BIN $2400 for both...

Some quick stats for the people who don't know:

85-89 Impulse turbo
2.0 Sohc Turbo/Intercooled
140hp w/a 5 speed close ratio transmission
Lotus suspension (88-89)
4 wheel disc
LSD (on some)
and of course the clamshell hood

0-60 - 7.7 sec
1/4 mile - 15.9 @ 87mph
skidpad - .86g
MPG - 27

For Comparison:

1989 Toyota Supra
232hp
0-60 - 7.57
1/4 mile - 16.05 @ 88.13mph

1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R
140hp
0-60 - 8.3
1/4 mile - 16.3 @ 83.4mph

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
200hp
0-60 - 7.9
1/4 mile - 15.8

Very cool little cars...I've always been on the hunt for either the Impulse turbo or an I-Mark RS

Some of the later versions were turbo/AWD (they look like Geo Storms)

1989:
jond01.jpg

1991:
IsuzuImpulseRS.jpg

HAHA That's awesome... I was actually looking at Impulses ! I like those cars. I didn't know they were SOHC though.. that's interesting.

And the Suspension, lotus tuning, is kinda gimmicky. It's not like it's got a lotus designed suspension, it's coil spring just formed by parts picked from a bin from a guy that consulted for Lotus.

DUDE! You're killin me ! These cars are AWESOME !

the 90-91's are DOHC

base model motor is the same as the Storm GSi (which is why I had a Storm for all of 3 months)

Ohio ain't that far :)

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced I'll arrive, there will be no cars, and only a group of spike-collared monkeys trained to categorically rape my anus, steal my wallet AND count the money, and pour sugar in my gas tank.

And once again, the police wouldn't care.

welcome to ohio, where the men are men and the sheep are scared.

Ok: SR20DE Build:

How about a fidanza flywheel, nismo cams and adjustable cam gears - and be done with it ?

And what's everyone's thought on getting the transmission alittle more long-leggedy ?

this threads becoming an epic....soon it'll be a made for TV mini-series

Grab a G20t 5 speed...I've driven one, they seem to be ok

Can I get a hell yeah ? :) How much do you want for it ?

I don't *have* one...I've *driven* one

The only yard in NE who shows one is Murray's in NH..he has it listed for $400

Back