thinking about trading down...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

not at all.

the evo is a closed eck.
the raliart is not.

about the only thing similar is the alum block casting.

nice car B.. keeping it stock??
i have no plans to upgrade at this point in time, but that may change. we'll see. for now, i have no extra money to toy around with the car.

nice car B.. keeping it stock??

grats on the car, B - i'm curious though...what does the 10/100k warranty specify as allowable modifications? i'm concerned you have to keep it stock or void that..hope i'm wrong. else, hope it's plenty fun as is :D

10 years is a long time to void a warranty...but 100K miles isn't...:p

well...he can get his old name back....and add a letter or two...:D

Pissedoffsol...
Pissedoffseoul......

I had a friend who bought a new Hyundai a few years ago.. It had the 10/100 warranty. He had been in a fight, and slammed a guy's head into the rear quarter, leaving a head-sized dent. It wasn't on purpose, the guy charged him, he grabbed him, etc.. Anyway, two weeks later (This car is 2 or three months old at this time by the way) the transmission blew up. He took it into Hyundai and they looked at the car, and said "this car is not in the shape a new car should be.. We are voiding the warranty" And sent him packing. Put it in their system that his car was mis treated and the warranty is voided nation wide, so no dealerships will work on it under warranty.. He had no aftermarket parts or damage other than the head dent and the blown transmission.

I had a friend who bought a new Hyundai a few years ago.. It had the 10/100 warranty. He had been in a fight, and slammed a guy's head into the rear quarter, leaving a head-sized dent. It wasn't on purpose, the guy charged him, he grabbed him, etc.. Anyway, two weeks later (This car is 2 or three months old at this time by the way) the transmission blew up. He took it into Hyundai and they looked at the car, and said "this car is not in the shape a new car should be.. We are voiding the warranty" And sent him packing. Put it in their system that his car was mis treated and the warranty is voided nation wide, so no dealerships will work on it under warranty.. He had no aftermarket parts or damage other than the head dent and the blown transmission.

@B: the moral of this story is not to make a head-sized dent in your car. Lol.

Holy expensive oil changes, Jeffie!!! As if they werent bad enough being a MB.:D

I think it's pretty damn cheap.

$6 x 8 = $48
Oil filter = $ 18 on the higher end (can be found cheaper)

total cost $66.00 a year or 12K miles.

Do oil changes every 3000 miles on a normal car with 4 quarts of oil.

oil is now about $3.50 a quart
filters run about $4

$3.50 x 4 =$14 + $4 for filter

$14.00 every 3000 miles or 3 months.

$14 x 4 times a year = $84.00

64 for a Civic VS 84 for a MB

If you have the dealer do it they charge $150.00-$200.00 depending on the dealership but they also give you a free loaner, top everything off, check over the whole car, clean the car and lets not forget the free coffee, fresh baked cookies and bottled water =)

Honda charges what? $25-30 for an oil change? so 100-120 if done at a dealer, plus wasted time for waiting around.

well...he can get his old name back....and add a letter or two...:D

Pissedoffsol...
Pissedoffseoul......
Pissedoffseoulinanotherblacky

thats better

Sounds like a fishy story. by law they cannot void a warranty unless they can prove the damaged was what caused the issue. I'm guessing a single call to HoA (isn't that honda of america? lol) would take care of that problem.

What did your friend do to follow up with the problem?

Nothing. He parked it at another friend's house and was deployed to iraq for 3 years. I haven't spoken to him since. It sat there collecting dust and weeds.. Not sure what happened to it after that, the other friend sold his house and moved and the car didn't come with him, so who knows.

Nothing. He parked it at another friend's house and was deployed to iraq for 3 years. I haven't spoken to him since. It sat there collecting dust and weeds.. Not sure what happened to it after that, the other friend sold his house and moved and the car didn't come with him, so who knows.

My guess is the problem could have been taken care of if he pushed the point.

we'll never know.... at least not til something falls off Bs car :eek:

I was figuring for putting more miles on the car per year. Not tryin to start another oil brand battle but I thought MB used more expensive oil than that. Especially if it lasts that long. I was thinking it'd be in the price range of R.P. or AMSOIL.
Oh and I can understand paying to have it changed by MB, but ill never pay to have my oil changed on the Si.

Last edited:
So, when you're cussing and screaming about this car, can I say I told you so? It'll happen.

This was the average train of thought of Americans when Toyota and Honda came state side. "Oh, they're just econo box cars." The american car manufacturers all thought the Japanese cars would never be a viable solution other than for basic transportation 20 years ago.

Hyundai currently has about the same build quality as honda. The Genesis sedan is a nice car as well. The first time I saw the car in person, I thought the interior looked nicer than any Lexus I had seen.

The coupe had a little lower quality build in the model I sat in at the NY auto show, but was still a nice car.

I was figuring for putting more miles on the car per year. Not tryin to start another oil brand battle but I thought MB used more expensive oil than that. Especially if it lasts that long. I was thinking it'd be in the price range of R.P. or AMSOIL.
Oh and I can understand paying to have it changed by MB, but ill never pay to have my oil changed on the Si.

No way in hell am I paying a dealership even MB to do my oil, I'd rather do it myself.
I was just listing the price differences and what you get for what you pay.

every MB uses Mobil 1 as soon as you pop the hood you'll see a big factory sticker that say this car uses Mobil 1.

If a car ever told me which brand of fluid to put in it, I'd piss in the oil filler and tell it to get bent.

If a car ever told me which brand of fluid to put in it, I'd piss in the oil filler and tell it to get bent.

doesn't say you have to use it, it just list that it uses it.

I don't know about you but I sure as hell wouldn't want to run 12K miles on normal oil.
There's a lot of different synth brands that will work just fine, they just don't want you to stick normal oil in then drive it way past its prime.

My problem is not with it telling you the spec of the fluid (5w-30, synthetic only, dexron 3, high viscosity blinker fluid) my problem is when they tell you to use a specific brand name. My work truck (Ford F250) says right on the gas cap to use BP gas. What the everloving fuck is wrong with car companies that they think they can tell us which brand to use. Shit like that pisses me off.

Back