1996 Acty SDX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I got some time, so I finished removing the adhesive from the duct tape and vinyl logos on the doors.

PXL_20210805_001237587.jpg

PXL_20210805_002655635.jpg

Been driving it as much as I can, and I really like this thing. The radio kinda sucks, but it's perfect for trips to the dump, grocery, liquor store, hardware store, and maybe I'll take it to work next week.

PXL_20210821_152025508.jpg

IMG_20210819_174712.jpg

I got tagged finally, so no more paper tags, and I've got vanity tags coming. Biggie really enjoys riding in it.

Love it.

Why the floor dryer though? Something leak some water?

And... We need to crowfund you some shelving or something for organization. For someone who is so good at buying and fixing things, I have no idea how inefficient you are searching for those lost 10mm's in your piles of stuff on the sides. Just think if you got organized you could buy MORE projects!!!

Love it.

Why the floor dryer though? Something leak some water?

And... We need to crowfund you some shelving or something for organization. For someone who is so good at buying and fixing things, I have no idea how inefficient you are searching for those lost 10mm's in your piles of stuff on the sides. Just think if you got organized you could buy MORE projects!!!

The floor drier is just something I keep in the shop to move air around, get exhaust fumes out, and blow the A/C condensation out. I bought it to try to move air around, because it moves a lot of air, isn't super loud, and should last a really long time.

Yeah, I need to get around to figuring out a shelving and storage system... I had a line on some free-ish pallet racks a few years back, but I really didn't have a good way to get them to my place so I had to pass on them. Maybe that's a good "next project" for me.

But, on the Acty, I need to clean out all the lint/fuzz/fibers from the interior... The truck was used in the Kasugai Mill of Oji Paper Company it's entire life,so while it has almost no rust, it does have a lot of this fuzz hiding in places. The big one is the AC evaporator, which is gonna be difficult to clean, just because of size and location.

1629842206236.png

1629842079149.png

So, I guess I'll try to vacuum as much out as I can, and then use some AC coil cleaner on it.

Well, that was gross. My least favorite way to clean AC coils... Water, soap, and a shop vac.

PXL_20210826_001956263.jpg
PXL_20210826_002552906.jpg

But, hey, it's done, and the parts should get here sometime next week. So glad I didn't have to recover the refrigerant, remove it, clean it on the bench, reinstall, and then charge. That would have sucked, especially since there's no info on how much oil or refrigerant it needs...

Anyway, now the AC blows a lot of cold air, instead of just really really cold air as a breeze, it's actually full force. Which is nice.

The other plus side is all that fuzz is just paper pulp fibers, so once I get it wet, it wipes right off with minimal effort. So maybe I won't have to power wash the interior.

The AC is really cold now. Peak performance. It gets cold enough I have to turn the fan down, lol. :D

PXL_20210826_143201206.jpg

I changed the oil too. All 2.5qt, lol.
PXL_20210826_203445288.jpg

PXL_20210826_202511195.jpg

PXL_20210826_202527938.jpg

The oil did have a semi-metallic sheen to it, so, uh, I might run this for a couple hundred KM and send it off to Blackstone Labs to get an analysis.

Next up is to change out the transmission fluid with some Honda MTF, just as preventative maintenance. Then, I guess I'll see about the brakes, it feels very frontally biased.

I should probably do the timing belt and tensioner eventually...

The radio looks cool! It has speakers in it?

the radio i got from you still works tits in the Kia.
It does. They're not great, but then again, it's not like the truck has an ideal acoustic environment anyway.

I got the A/C Filter fro Japan, so got that stuffed in there.

1630155278181.png

Then, I fixed a vacuum leak causing the idle to be erratic and set the idle speeds. Now it's running a lot better at idle, and it cools quite well. I'll bet I'll see a fuel economy increase too.

Somehow, a hunk of crud blocked the AC Evaporator drain... Oops. I drained it after poking at it with a piece of wire, and no lie, probably about 30 oz of water came out, onto my shop floor. Good times.

But, the AC works great. The truck does about 60mph on level ground with the AC running, so, uh, maybe not gonna beat any speed records any time soon.

We need to crowfund you some shelving or something for organization. For someone who is so good at buying and fixing things, I have no idea how inefficient you are searching for those lost 10mm's in your piles of stuff on the sides. Just think if you got organized you could buy MORE projects!!!

So, take a peek at this:
PXL_20210831_202258575.jpg

PXL_20210901_154501780.jpg
PXL_20210901_175838337.jpg

I'm working on cleaning it up and organizing before I get involved in another project vehicle. Plan is to do one shelving rack at a time, so I have enough space to go through the stuff before putting it on a shelf.

I haven't quite figured out where things are going to live forever yet, but I'll figure it out. I need at least two more shelving units, one for fluids and one for parts, then a big ass toolbox.

The Acty goes to the body shop in two weeks. I'll be very happy to have it done, right now the passenger door leaks air and makes lots of wind noise when I drive on the highway.

Well, damn, that wasn't fun to apply, but it's done.

1631136371062.png

I put this 2-part epoxy bedliner on today after work. Prep took like 2.5 hours, application took 45 minutes for two coats.

I suppose it's only as good as the preparation, but I did about as good of a job as I do when I paint cars, so it should be alright. Wipe with degreaser, sand to 220 grit, sweep out, tack cloth, acetone wipe/scrub with cloth, then apply coating.

I wish I had done it early in the morning, instead of afternoon, then I'd have some direct sun to let it sit in.

Then, when I do the bed sides, I'll remove them from the body and just paint them black, lol.

Back