Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Very simply put(and pretty common I suppose):
I'm going to run smaller piping on the hot side. Say 2". And larger piping on the cold side, say 2.5" like it is now. This will let the air expand even more post-intercooler and let it cool my IAT's down a little bit.

Ok, keep in mind that while this will give you cooler IATs, it will decrease velocity.

It will also decrease pressure while, but that's a moot point since you'll have lower temperatures.

Many professionally designed kits, and even factory turbo implementations have a smaller high-temp charge pipe, and a larger low-temp charge pipe. So I'd say you're on the right track. Just run the numbers and ensure the velocity is correct for your engine.

Andrews polished wheels..
before:
DSCN4518.jpg

After:
DSCN4528.jpg

Before:
DSCN4522.jpg

After:
DSCN4525.jpg

Before:
DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

After:
DSCN4529.jpg

DSCN4530.jpg

Hope ya like em mang! Free polishing FTW (for you :p). I think I hurt my knuckle pretty good whenever I was hand polishing the one wheel (before I bought the lil powerball thingy). :S

Its all good though ;)

You da best man! I'm sure those pics don't do much justice, but it does look awesome!
I'm starting to wonder if they would look better with the inerds painted grey?

BTW guys I'm getting some piping from Terrance tommorrow to make some crazy bends on the hot side

No, they don't. I think they look great, considering how little work was put into em.

BTW, I have ure pipe.. 2" Sch 80 @ 2' long. Should be enough to play with I think. Also.... I may be getting my car painted soon, by a shop :ph34r: My turbo stuff may be going on hold.....

sorry for the thread jack andrew but wat did you use on your feed line? is it just a compression fitting with a an fitting?

Yep. I don't have any closeups, but yeah. the previous owner of the snail put a brass compression fitting on the stock line. It's actually just a simple 1/8npt compression fitting (really cheap from lowes etc) and I used a 1/8npt/-3an union I got from a local shop called Capital Rubber. They do all sorts of hydraulic lines and fittings, And the a -3an line. I used the same type of union on my sandwich adapter.

OH man, I've got a suprise for you :ph34r: Its simple, but VERY, VERY cool. Something that nobody else will have but you buddy.

Should be done today. It's so nifty and cool, I'm excited about it!! And are you gonna have that pipe cut so I can weld it tomorrow?

**Edit** Here it is!
DSCN4542.jpg

DSCN4543.jpg

DSCN4545.jpg

DSCN4544.jpg

Thats right... 1 piece aluminum fool! Had it machined with a CNC machine :eek: It's 5/8" thick and sexy ;) You may have to tap the holes slightly bigger, but that won't be a problem w/your drill press.

Welding the 3 pieces together woudl have been uber hard if not impossible to do and it not leak. This was the only other option!

You like?

Last edited:
Awesome!!!
Heres a teaser for the rest of yous guys too!
Got my argon tank filled so I can tack this aluminum
IMG_9993.jpg

Then me and dad whipped up a wooden mockup of the loop.
IMG_9992.jpg

It sits about like this.
IMG_9994.jpg

Kind of held in place. kinda difficult to do 1 handed. but you get the idea
IMG_9996.jpg

So after we got the angles right we started chopping up the 2" alum. tubing I got from Terrance. (sched. 80)
IMG_9997.jpg

And started to champfer (sp?) the edges so his guys can TIG them together.
(I'll be tacking them with my MIG)
IMG_9998.jpg

I've got to finish up with those and start mocking up!! Should be done early next week with it all...

Ha yeah, but thats why we did it with wood!! unlimited cuts can be made. metal was limited to 2'.

The first time around, we did as my calculations specified, at 11*. We decided it needed to be a tighter bend, so we stepped it up to 13* and it did the job!

Dude, I bought my zex kit for $50.00 and sold it for $80.00 :ph34r:
-----------------

So, when you I get ure stuff welded and you get it back on Tuesday.... What do you have left? I mean, as far as I know, this along with the radiator have been your problem areas.

Pending your car actually has compression from the drilling of the headgasket, all you'll need to do it take it to Max.. or have Max come to you I guess.

Possibly running next weekend??!!

And ure using your old intercooler.. So I can has my intercooler cheezeburger back? :D

yep yep yep! It's all yours!

I should get my hands on Devin's "AEM NOT" intake and see about getting that on there. I think as my setup is now, boost leaks will be the death of me. which is fine, because I'd rather leak out pressure than hit my motor with 10lbs right off the bat lol.

Seriously. if this motor doesn't like this boost stuff, and lets go. I'm dropping in a bome-stock Z6 in decent condition and letting it RIP. :)

**Edit** Here it is!

Thats right... 1 piece aluminum fool! Had it machined with a CNC machine :eek: It's 5/8" thick and sexy ;) You may have to tap the holes slightly bigger, but that won't be a problem w/your drill press.

Welding the 3 pieces together woudl have been uber hard if not impossible to do and it not leak. This was the only other option!

You like?

That's not for a wastegate, is it?

Yay!

And no awptickes, it's for his oil drain.

And Andrew, I assume you have'nt heard anything form the loser in ATL abotu the turbo stuff?

I say it's kneecap breaking time!
sorry to thread jack but i was reading your build on HT and saw on the first or second page that you did LED's in your cluster..do you possibly have a write-up cuz it came out sick..
i believe nickbeam was gonna do one but i have yet to see it

sorry to thread jack but i was reading your build on HT and saw on the first or second page that you did LED's in your cluster..do you possibly have a write-up cuz it came out sick..
i believe nickbeam was gonna do one but i have yet to see it

PM me.
----------------------
So Andrew, I was going through the for sale threads on H-T, saw a guy selling a ram horn manifold. Here it is.
IMG_2451.jpg

Sexy, yes, no?

Well it is. As I was looking at that manifold, I noticed something........... There are no more than 6 tubes welded together to make the primaries. 6 on the front, looks like 4 in the back (including collector tubes).

So, that got me thinkin about fabbing up our own manifolds.

I started lookin around the interwebs and found this:
Tech Page

head11.jpg

head19.jpg

head20.jpg

head24.jpg

head29.jpg

head31.jpg

I may be thinkin a lil off, but it looks like what YOUR DOING with the intercooler piping is actually HARDER than making a freaking manifold!!

Thoughts?

here's another one..
building a turbo header w/ sched 40 weld pipe - Page 5 - HybridZ
runners1and2004.jpg

Runner3fab008.jpg

wastegatetubetacked002.jpg

wastegatetubetacked006.jpg

:ph34r:

Moare link:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2605/article.html
grat idea for building collectors.
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=1325baf67f25e9f8a35e59f37a18d68a&topic=65147.0

Though, here's what ours woudl prob look like :p
http://aaronactive.net/images/photoalbum/album_7/photo_330.jpg

If we had the materials, tell me why, with a lil planning, we could'nt fab up a manifold in a weekend?

Last edited:
I've really be thinking about it. weiRtech has the best deals on flanges btw

couple 90's and we're good to go!

Back