Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dude, why not?

I decided to go out on lunch and fiddle with some spare pipe for a lil bit.

Dare I say a very crude proof on cencept? Well, not really proof of concept. Just shows how crappy I can make 1/4 of a mini ram horn setup without 90 degree bends and eye balling everything.
DSCN4546.jpg

DSCN4547.jpg

DSCN4548.jpg

If I had a bender that did 90 degree bends, I could have made it look chica-ka-ka-drillion times better ;)

Last edited:

100_1718.jpg

:)

Shoulda went buddy. Nice racin goin on that night.

I know!!! Oh well... I will not miss the Ranger going 9's.

BTW, I'm not going to tack the pipe. I'm just going to tape it, kinda like you posted above, but with smaller tape so that you guys can do the tacks and then pull the tape and weld it. I can't get my aluminum to feed through my machine, it's having a problem gripping it. It grips solid wire just fine, but aluminum is to soft or slippery I guess. the wheels can't get it.

Anyway. I'll have that down to you tomorrow or wednesday.

Finished building the charge pipe! Now it needs welding!

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

And I'm updating the first page w/ these last 5 pages or so worth of info. Been slackin'!

:D

Might make one this year! I'm going to get my feet wet with making my own 3" Downpipe. I'm about to order a flange from weiRtech for the DP and possibly (money allowing) a head flange and turbo inlet flange to start building one!

304 Stainless Steel
probably 1.25 - 1.5" runners.(this is what I'm unsure of)

Tight Rad. mani-bends I could only find these Sched. 10's.
2360_WEBS.jpg

304 ss Flanges from Burns
I'm going to use www.weirtech.ca 's flanges, though. His are mild steel. 3/8"
d-seriesflange-1.jpg

14bflange.jpg

DSC08779.jpg

this is one of Tuner Toy's
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They used Stainless Steel Schedule 40
ttmrm_06_480w

Oh, and like I mentioned earlier, I'm also going to build my own traction bar, utilizing weirtech's DIY kit:
tractionbarkit.jpg

DSC09215.jpg

Example!
1zynog.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
$60 x 4 = $240
head flange = $20
Turbo flange = $8
WG flange = 5
+ shipping guessing around $40
~$320

You can buy them for $350-400.
BUT it'll be ours! haha and you know, we could probably find better prices than that.

Yes, we can.
Look at yoru header in the pic...
DSCN4011.jpg

Dontcha think a 4/2/1 header would be great for a turbo manifold?

**Edit again** Unless it would be too close to the block...

**Edit Again, again ** :p
Lets look at teh shorty manifold you and I talked about.
$525.00

SLS%20shorty%20mani.JPG

Thats a fairly simple design, much easier than a ram horn. Now look at this...
You could get one of these for $88.00 shipped
hd-1103-int00gsr.jpg

It looks, to me anyway, that if it was planned out good, we could get the short manifold from this header. Not only would we get the tubing and header flange (obviously) but we get the nice 4-1 collector. W/a lil hacking and brain juice, I think it could be done and we might be able to get a sweet turbo manifold for alil over $100.00.We've got the welding part covered, we can brace it as we see fit, since this metal wasnt intended to hold up a turbo. Though, that may be the Achilles heel to this lil idea.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, if you used the lil header that you have no, there would be no more lag with it than with the SLS manifold. There would probably be some lag for me if I used the 4/2/1 header and converted it to a turbo manifold.

Here, look at this....
D16-C.JPG

Not only would you get a manifold, but you'd have a great downpipe as well (of course, it woudl have to be modified)

And just on case anybody wonders... I"m super uber bored at work.. I have nothing to do except scheme on making millions and taking over the world... or figure out how to make a turbo manifold for t3h cheep. I even made this from a pic I found a few mins ago...

Last edited:
Back