JDM B20Vtec Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Now that I understand the science behind everything the only other item that's still up for debate is how it was ported. Some people say its CNC and some people say its Hand Ported.

do the lines look uniform in the ports? if they say they do cnc... they have photos of heads in cnc machines on their public fb page, so theres that.

Okay. So I finally have the full story.

They CNC Race Port it and then they clean it up by hand. Which is why it has a dull finish instead of a mirror finish. Also did tons of research. Apparently the mirror finish used to help make hp. But now that they have this CNC Race Port down to a science they have realized there are no performance gains anymore from mirror finishes. Once upon a time it made a difference back in the early 90s and later.

So I was worried for nothing but have learned a lot from this entire experience.

Thank you everyone for your input and responses.

The other good news is that my shop is starting the work on the motor tomorrow to get as much done as possibly before the install.

I am still waiting on my build/spec sheet so I order the proper size headgasket.

I keep you updated on the progress.

Update:

I went by to see my motor and drop off all my supporting mods and ect.

The pictures DO NOT GIVE ANY JUSTICE to what I saw in person!!!!

This head is most definitely CNC Race Ported!!! They did a BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!

The port on the inside of the head was immaculate! I am VERY pleased with the work!!!

Couple of quick notes. They plugged the oil squirters. They had to in order to get the pistons to clear. Plus I was also told that the oil squirters don't help when you have forged internals. I always thought having oil squirters made a difference. But apparently with my setup oil pressure is more crucial. But I have a Type R oil pump that's CNC Ported and Shimmed according to my build. So I'm probably going to have super high oil pressure lol. But that's not a bad thing.

I am going to have 1 of the fastest Civics in North Florida. Man I am excited. I don't know anyone with a build similar to mine. And I know a lot of people! But I'm not going to brag too much. Don't want the wrong person finding out what I have.

This has been an interesting experience and I've learned a lot. I have no idea if I will ever do this again lol. But I did it right the first time and that's what matters.

The 1 thing that's going to possibly limit the power I make is the Ram Horn A/C Manifold I have. I really should have bought a Top Mount. This motor is going to be extremely efficient and I just don't know if that Ram Horn is going to be able to keep up.

My HP goal is 900whp. This manifold is probably going to limit me to 700-800whp.

I am going to probably do a bumper exit exhaust. I don't want hood exit. Unless you guys have some better suggestions on the exhaust.

I currently have a full true 3 inch exhaust. I was planning on keeping that but I don't know. I'm on the fence about it. But I believe that having the shorter exhaust will open it up more to help it breath a little better, especially since I have that ram horn. I need as much exhaust flow that I can get.

I should have the build sheet by Monday/Tuesday. Can't wait to see it. I want to see the flow tests/charts for the head and I want to see how much if anything they had to remove from the rods/pistons.

How many people do you guys know that did not finish their builds and gave up? I'm telling you I came really close to just selling everything because this whole experience was a huge pain in the ass. I just hope all the hard work, patience and money was worth it.

I am using this fuel pump: 750magnum.

Its an inline external fuel pump. It supports up to 2000whp. I have FIC 2150's for my injectors. I'm going to be running e85 and COP with OEM Honda K Coils.

I was told my car will be done within 1-2 weeks.

I am buying a Gates Racing Kevlar timing belt. And I still need my head gasket. Waiting to order that until I get my Build/Spec Sheet.

I am so happy. I built it to handle 1500whp. So I have plenty of room to grow if I decide to track it.

Anyone have any quesses on how much its going to make?

Good news. I've got the rest of my few parts that I needed. I estimate it will be running by Nov 20th or so. We'll see.

I'm tuning it for max power. But I'm going to run at 600whp until I learn the car and then I'm going to turn it up. I am super excited. I cannot wait. I've been waiting for this day for a very long time.

Here's some updates. Pics attached.

We are getting very close. Doing minor wire tuck on engine harness and fixing some harness issues with damaged wires.

Going with 3 inch intercooler piping and bigger intercooler.

Can't wait. So close to the finish line. Closest I've been since really starting the project. About to do fuel upgrades.

Attachments

• received_460901191214697.jpeg
    received_460901191214697.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 389
  • received_1366154336885317.jpeg
    received_1366154336885317.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 379
  • received_2870349772984507.jpeg
    received_2870349772984507.jpeg
    926 KB · Views: 342
Here's some new pics.

Its coming together. Still have to get the fuel tank sumped.

Attachments

• received_773460969745409.jpeg
    received_773460969745409.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 342
  • received_555492688355551.jpeg
    received_555492688355551.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 391
  • received_481723845760493.jpeg
    received_481723845760493.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 336
Quick update. Fuel Tank has been dropped and taken over to Stage 6 Motorsports to have the fuel tank cut, cleaned, notched, sumped and prepped for my 750magnum fuel pump.

That work should be done between now and Tuesday.

We are getting a lot closer than we were 2 weeks ago. I would say everything should be done by next weekend most likely. At the latest.

Hey everyone,

I know it's been a while since there has been an update. I had ran out of money to finish my build. I finally got the money now to finish it. I should have it done here in a couple of weeks finally.

Can't wait to get it on the dyno. All we have left is a couple of things on the fuel system and exhaust piping and intercooler piping. And then THE DYNO!!!

This project has been in the works for a while! So excited!!!

I will provide an update once the car is down and I will post the dyno sheets.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

But I have a Type R oil pump that's CNC Ported and Shimmed according to my build. So I'm probably going to have super high oil pressure lol. But that's not a bad thing.

New to this thread. Saw the mention of super high oil pressure.
Be sure to use some type of restriction on the oil feed line so your high oil pressure doesn't pop the seals on the turbo.
Not sure if this was mentioned, but just wanted to point it out as something to research before you fire the motor up.
Your turbo should have guidelines on max inlet pressure.
Maybe you covered this already.
TURBOS - Does my turbo require an oil restrictor? | TM Sport & Racing

New to this thread. Saw the mention of super high oil pressure.
Be sure to use some type of restriction on the oil feed line so your high oil pressure doesn't pop the seals on the turbo.
Not sure if this was mentioned, but just wanted to point it out as something to research before you fire the motor up.
Your turbo should have guidelines on max inlet pressure.
Maybe you covered this already.
TURBOS - Does my turbo require an oil restrictor? | TM Sport & Racing

I am very happy you mentioned this. This is something that I haven't addressed yet. I need to bring this up at the shop.

Hey everybody,

New update. We tried and tried and tried to make the Speed Factory Ram Horn Manifold fit. The Turbo is just too big smh.

I broke down and bought a Speed Factory Top Mount Manifold T3 Flange 44/46 wg flange.

Another freakin $800.

Intercooler piping is mocked up. Just need to weld and put new couplers and clamps on. Looking at doing 1-3 couplers, 4 if you include the intake Manifold.

Almost done with the fuel system. Have to finish wiring in the fuel pump. Missing 1 fitting to complete it.

Need to put the Hybrid Racing adjustable shifter in.

Need to put my axles in.

Need to install Big Brake Kit.

Need to install 40/40 prop valve

Need to Wire in Coil On Plug kit.

Need to install Clutch Pedal Stop Block

Still some stuff to do.

The turbo manifold is freakin made to order so I have about 2-3 more weeks before I get it. I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago. I'm going to ceramic coat it once it's here.

It's probably going to be end of July or Mid August before its done.

Man I feel like I've been waiting an eternity to get this project done. No wonder so many people never finish them. Wow...

patience is super important when it comes to these projects. Take your time and tinker with something else, like the brakes, while you wait for the manifold to come in.

Great News!!!

MY CAR RUNS FINALLY!!!!

Some More Good News!!!

We found the manifold I was looking for at 1 of my tuners vendors. They had 1 left in stock. It ships tomorrow!!! Finally no more waiting!!!

My car might actually get done by next week everyone!!!

I need some help on something though. I need wheels and tires and I don't know a lot about this part of the game. I've never been a big wheel guy or a big flashy person.

But I'm looking for something that is 16x8 or 16x9 with a 20+ - 30+ offset that is wide so I can put a big wide tire on but that's not going to break or bend from the power. Also something light.

Car is going to be tuned for max power and initially going to be at minimum 600whp when I pick it up.

I plan on going AWD next year too.

But anyway can you guys suggest a good wheel and tire combo?

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET ON THE DYNO MAN!!! SO CLOSE!!!

15x8 with 225/50/15 +30-35 offset will work. Ive seen 9" wide but its a little too much IMO. Stock steelies are like 5.5" wide. 16's are fine (225/16/45 ). I'd stick to 225 for the width. More width makes more tire height (the series if tire is kinda like height proportional to the width) so too wide means too tall (4x4 status). Toyo R888 is a good summer tire (technically a race tire) but not for snow or heavy rain.

Be ready to need your fenders rolled to get a good size tire and have a finished look you'll like.

Back