So I'm being charged with assault

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle%20Ass.jpg
what is that? the Mexican army's light artillery division??

looks like some sort of anti tank weapon maybe.

Either way i don't think it is intended to be fired from the animal.

I'm trying to figure out if it's pointed backwards, making it a french mule.

The kid was not 21. However, I had a meeting that night (I'm the President of the Inter-Fraternity Council), by the time I got there this kid was wasted and I personally flagged him and last night I was also told that he was smashing glass bottles in the house before I got there and was told to stop or he was getting kicked out. While it was not my house, it was my fraternity's house. I'd rather not drag my President into this matter if I don't have to.

But like Blanco said, I'm preparing. I have a handful of people that are going to give me statements of what happened, I'll have the police report, and hopefully statements from the arresting officers. I also have scheduled a meeting with a professor of mine who is also a lawyer to get his prespective on this.

Should I also get statements from people on my character? Most of my friends know that my fuse is rather long and to illicit this type of response must have taken some serious issues.

To be clear, I was not defending a girl's honor, flexing my power, or stomping a weak little kid. I was handling a risk management situation. If he had stayed, a fight would have started in the house. Like I said in my original story, I stopped multiple people from punching this kid while we were in the house. Once we were outside I followed him down the driveway to make sure he left. No one was in the house next door when he entered it, my pursuit was also a form of risk-management. Calling out to him that I saw him hiding was to make him leave. He probably thought I would go back in the house and he could sneak into my house or the house he had just ran through(my friends and I rent three houses in a row, because of the heavy traffic through all three, the doors are rarely locked).

And just to go off of what Blanco said, if I went inside and shut the door, he would have stood outside yelling, banging on the door, and could have broke a window or something. We had to make sure he left. "Well then call the cops", the cops aren't our personal security for parties and such. The surrounding area isn't the best, the cops have more pressing issues to deal with. We try to handle situations without getting them involved as much as possible. My fraternity is viewed as the best on campus, as far as police are concerned, when it comes to control and risk management. They have told us this. We have also been told by the student body that while our parties are the best, we don't take any shit. For the most part we run a tight ship, this event was a slip-up. Did it end poorly, absolutely. That was not the end I had sought out looking for. But to rationalize it, he got hit because he tried to hit me. He got knocked out because I warned him not to come back on the property and he did. It's the fact that I did mount and punch him that worries me. Like Blanco said, I crossed a line.

I don't view this as open and shut. Do I think there is a high possiblity of this case being dissmissed? Yes. Do I see myself possibly doing jail time? Yes. I could get a judge that sees my side of the story and dissmisses this or I could get a judge that sees me as a bully and gives me what he thinks I deserve. I will say this, if this goes past this first court date, I'm filing assault charges on him for swinging at me first, and both houses say they will be pressing trespassing charges and breaking in and entering charges.

Another question, if this does in fact go to trial and then I get cleared, could I file defimation of character charges on him? While it seems petty, if this goes to trial this will be on my record forever, win or lose and will make getting a job very hard.

Last edited:
i doubt you will do jail time. most likely probabtion or something. talk to bryan. i'm sure he knows about jersey slap :)

i doubt you will do jail time. most likely probabtion or something. talk to bryan. i'm sure he knows about jersey slap :)
At the moment my biggest fear is that this will stick with me and not allow me to get a job as a proffesional. Which would mean that I wasted the past 4 years.

ehh, most places only ask about felonies.
i'm thinking this will end up as breach of peace or a minor assult charge misdemeanor

retain a lawyer asap.

keys to your case when you go to court.

dress sharp
be articulate
have your evidence ready
and most of all, be honest. judges get paid to be able to tell when people are lying.

misdemeanors become an issue if you try to get certified for a professional field
CFA, CPA etc

press them for a violation vs a misdemeanor

i have a misdemeanor. it has been fucking me in the ass. not even that serious of an issue. the thing is, after 3 years with no similar offenses, you can get it dropped from your record. you will just have to disclose it when you are applying somewher.

AHah I know what you mean. I've gotten 3 misdemeanors total. Thing is, they were all committed when I was a minor. One is already wiped from my record and the other two I think are on their way because I every single thing I was supposed to during probation.
I'm not pretending to know exactly when, how, and if it'll be wiped from your record, but you should do everything in your power to do anything the court asks you and overachieve on it.

Interesting. My wife was able to be bonded by a Fortune 500 corporation to run a store that made $1.5m a year with the same misdemeanor.
never said it would PREVENT you from your job etc
its just that applications are asking for more than just felonies these days
and bonding is an entirely different thing altogether

but when you have 2 comparable applicants and you have a criminal record and the other does not, you're probably not going to get the job

AHah I know what you mean. I've gotten 3 misdemeanors total. Thing is, they were all committed when I was a minor. One is already wiped from my record and the other two I think are on their way because I every single thing I was supposed to during probation.
I'm not pretending to know exactly when, how, and if it'll be wiped from your record, but you should do everything in your power to do anything the court asks you and overachieve on it.
do tell...?

Sure, you can sue for discrimination at every failed job interview. But you'll never win.

If you're turned down, you're turned down. you need to prove things

I dunno. I just got assault, battery, and minor in possession. All misdemeanors. They came at a few years apart, but they told me all of them would be wiped from my records if I did what I was supposed to. Also, I was on probation past my 18th birthday, and I was let off early for good behavior. I have some funny stories about that shit, but it would take too long to explain it.
I dunno just make it seem like a smaller deal, if you do get probation for something, be perfect, and you'll do fine.

And shit, if you think you'll get battery or assault, and provide enough evidence against the other guy's case, your shit might get reduced to almost nothing. Who knows?

Back