the 3rd car

get the 3rd vehicle?

• yes - its a smart choice

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no - 2 vehicles is more than enough

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm the lone dissenting view. I think the economicaly that things are gonna get worse waaaaay before getting better. I would be (am currently) looking to trim the fat from the monthly expenses. Better to be over prepaired then not perpaired.

i'm straight. we're so busy at work... we're actually hiring. and out of the 3 (soon to be 4) developers we have, i'll be the last to go. The market would have to turn to shit to the point where we go out of business... and i don't see that happening. the market's really not that bad at all. once this housing shit is over, things will come back.

And market stagnation, energy costs and food costs play nothing in your prediction ?

I see. you have oil heat?

it's not just the housing that has me worried, the price of oil is killing a lot of things. I doubt GM will make it, most airlines are gone and the cost of everything will go up due to transportation costs. I hope I'm wrong, but this could ripple through the economy and hurt everyone. Just my 02. How about hitting work up for a company vehicle?

don't say Oil Heat I'm gonna get the sandpaper condom this winter and with the cost of oil going up the vasoline will be to expensive to afford to ease my pain.

Last edited:
And market stagnation, energy costs and food costs play nothing in your prediction ?

I see. you have oil heat?

if i go under because of 2500 bucks, i'm fucked already. I'm financially secure and paying cash for this car won't hurt me. Hell, i spent more on the wheels i returned.

Do not you see how owning this car will actually SAVE me money in under a years time?

yes, i have oil heat and hot water (boiler). i spent about 1500 bucks on oil since i've lived here (september). it's still cheaper than electric. I plan to burn some wood this year as well. I just never got around to getting the chimney swept last year, so i didn't. I may pick up a pellet stove or something too.

it's not just the housing that has me worried, the price of oil is killing a lot of things. I doubt GM will make it, most airlines are gone and the cost of everything will go up due to transportation costs. I hope I'm wrong, but this could ripple through the economy and hurt everyone. Just my 02. How about hitting work up for a company vehicle?

GM won't go under. the gov't won't let them.
EVERYTHING will go up, and with it, so will my wage, or i'll walk.
in a couple weeks, i'll be here 2 years, and i will be asking for a raise at my review. Company vehicle won't happen. there's only 11 of us here.

Next year's heating concerns should be on your mind now. Just an FYI.

it's not Armageddon guys.

$2 a gallon more isn't really that big of a deal. it's $1000 bucks a season. If i have to plan now for 2010 winter to scrounge $1000 bucks, i've failed at life.

shit, i've got $1000 in change in a box in my bedroom (no lie) and by then, it will easily be $1500.

i don't make $20k a year dude.

the zombies will be knocking at my door to get warm long before i go under.

it's not Armageddon guys.

$2 a gallon more isn't really that big of a deal. it's $1000 bucks a season. If i have to plan now for 2010 winter to scrounge $1000 bucks, i've failed at life.

shit, i've got $1000 in change in a box in my bedroom (no lie) and by then, it will easily be $1500.

i don't make $20k a year dude.

the zombies will be knocking at my door to get warm long before i go under.
point taken, just offering some other advice other then the typical. keep in mind what you are asking and where you are asking it.

It would be cheaper to put the 2500 bucks on a payment for the truck and get the payment out of the way then it would be to buy another vehicle. If y ou were to add up everything, including gas, maint. and insurance for all 3 vehicles it would be hard to come out ahead even if gas prices went up to 5 bucks a gallon.

And as for heating your home, unless you didn't turn your furnace on at all, there's no way that you only spent 1500 on oil last year. Even locked in to say 3 bucks a gallon, you probably burned at least 600 gallons which would be around 1800. This year you'd be hard pressed to find any oil companies doing a lock-in as they would be jeopardizing their business due to the daily price fluctations. I'm preparing myself for 900 gallons @ 5 bucks/per so you can do the math.

In 6 months time we'll have another thread on selling this car because you think it sucks just like you did with the Impreza ;). I honestly think you're better off on either socking that money away for paying up front in oil, or putting as a payment to clear up some value in your truck to balance out the rising cost in fuel.

Obviously my .02 so take it fwiw.

I CAPPED (not locked) at 2.59 last season, plus a 10-cent a gallon discount for paying within 10 days, so effectively 2.49. If the market goes below the cap, they will honor it.

I have my capp opportunity again next month, which i will be taking.

i got between 130 and 150 gallons on each of the 4 times they came... so i used about 600 gallons.

600 x 2.50 = 1500

my house is fairly new, well insulated, thermal windows, etc etc, plus, rarely is my place over 58-60 degrees in the winter. plus, E farts a lot, so it keeps it warm (and stinky) :(

I honestly think you're better off on either socking that money away for paying up front in oil, or putting as a payment to clear up some value in your truck to balance out the rising cost in fuel.
I don't see how paying more on the truck balances out the cost of fuel? confused....

I sold the imprezza because the car did suck... but more so, it wasn't good on gas either. I had 0 reason to keep it. the hx is a keeper for communiting.

lol looks identical to my car. of course, i am merely masquerading mine as an hx with the rims and gauge cluster.

Honestly I've been tooting my horn for the past six months about gas prices. I claimed that gas would be up to $5 by the end of the summer.

After the Congressional investigation and the Saudis announcing today that they believe the price of oil is too high, I'm curious to see how the future pans out. I could easily foresee a hop to $5/gallon or back down to $3/gallon.

If Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley get nailed to the wall for their speculation on oil futures and driving the price sky high, prices will be back down. I read and posted on this board somewhere that a Goldman analyst predicted oil to be $200 within a year, but a few months back I also read that Goldman was directly responsible for about 75% of the oil future speculation and only a few people knew why oil was priced so high.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Congressional hearing, but from hearsay, I believe this is pretty much the information that Congress found in the investigation. Another bit of information that I've heard through the grapevine was that demand actually fell over the past year, while price clearly rose.

I think something big is about to happen.

demand is down because of prices.

i think GM said they are down 35% on sales of SUV's and trucks compared with last year.

because more people are buying smaller, less fuel is being used....

but, that's off topic :D

you think i should wait and see what happens?

I get decent gas in my tc but its barely good enough. Around town I get like 20mpg, but on the freeway I always see 32mpg. Do I drive much on the freeway? not much anymore at all.

If you can buy this car for 2500 cash I'd buy it. It'll pay for itself within a year and if it takes a shit next year you're not up or down. If it makes it past that, its an asset. Then maintenance costs, upgrading, etc can be taken into account. If I had 2500 right now I'd buy it just to have here.

Consider this:
Your calculations fall short in the fact that you will not be driving the car to work EVERY time. You forgot oil, tires, general maintnence, wtf maintnence, insurance, etc. The car would still pay for itself in 2-3 years, but is all that really worth it? Is it worth the extra cost to drive the M to work? You purchase a bmw to enjoy it, not to park it and drive a damn civic.

Be glad I wasn't around to chew your ass about a 4k upside down truck for hauling trash.

I say, it's a better feeling driving a POS thru town to work, than one day have a rock fly up and crack my BMW's windsheild. And driving a POS getting revs from the ricers and middle fingers from the domestics, knowing that you have a nice car at home; so fuck the haters.

I woulda posted something a while back, but you all said everything I would have... but I wanted to say, keep the truck! Deffinatly!

If you can buy this car for 2500 cash I'd buy it. It'll pay for itself within a year and if it takes a shit next year you're not up or down. If it makes it past that, its an asset. Then maintenance costs, upgrading, etc can be taken into account. If I had 2500 right now I'd buy it just to have here.

I agree with Slammed. Buy it. If I were you and had the 2500 to spare, I would buy it also. It will save you money in the long run and if something happens to it, it's not a big deal. Plus, it's better if someone (God forbid) plows into this civic than into your M. Sure things like insurance, maintenance, etc are factors to take into considerations, but its always nice to save money during the week and then take out your real car on the weekends. That way you won't rack up miles on the M and decrease its value, and you'll appreciate it more after driving the slow ass civic all week :D

Back