the 3rd car

get the 3rd vehicle?

• yes - its a smart choice

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no - 2 vehicles is more than enough

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow funny you posted this. I went out to test drive some cars yesterday because I am spending over $500/mon gas in the Audi at 18mpg and over $4.50/g.

I drove a 2008 VW GTI which seemed to get about 26mpg, and I going to drive a 2006 Jetta GLI with Nav and a 2008 Civic SI.

Even if my payments go out 40-50 bucks i figure ima save atleast $200/m on gas with better mileage and cheaper gas.

But yeah dude i would go with a 3rd car for gas mileage.

Biggest thing I like about this, it lowers your demand on gas.

yes, i'll be paying cash for it.

You're paying for it cash, the insurance won't run you shit, it's a GREAT price, the car is in good shape...shit Brian, DOO EEET!!!!

Now you'll be set whenever you do need a car. After I got my hatchback I started thinking on when and if I needed to haul something more than groceries around I could probably do it in the hatch. If I could afford a truck as well, I would get one too. ^_^

You also wanted a gas saver, so once again, Honda for the win! SWOOSH! :D

demand is down because of prices.

i think GM said they are down 35% on sales of SUV's and trucks compared with last year.

because more people are buying smaller, less fuel is being used....

but, that's off topic :D

you think i should wait and see what happens?

Actually, $2500 could get you a near mint 1G CRX... 38 or so MPG, over 50 if it's an HF... RPR would take you in. :)

I doubt B wants a lack of power options, ac, and cruise control, especially for a commuter.

Consider this:
Your calculations fall short in the fact that you will not be driving the car to work EVERY time. You forgot oil, tires, general maintnence, wtf maintnence, insurance, etc. The car would still pay for itself in 2-3 years, but is all that really worth it? Is it worth the extra cost to drive the M to work? You purchase a bmw to enjoy it, not to park it and drive a damn civic.

but on the same time, everything you mentioned is at LEAST 3x more money for the M.
mile for mile, the civic will cost me less.
5w-30 off the shelf for the civic vs 10w 60 from bmw @ 18.95 /qt (and it takes 6.5)
tires: 185/60-14 = 50 bucks a tire that last 40-50k miles. 255/35/19 = 419 a tire that last 12k.
and so on....

Be glad I wasn't around to chew your ass about a 4k upside down truck for hauling trash.
ehh, i bought the truck to own it and use it, not to make a profit on it/sell it. i'll get my 8k worth out of it in due time. 8k for a 2000 dakota w/warranty isn't that bad of a deal IMO.

I say, it's a better feeling driving a POS thru town to work, than one day have a rock fly up and crack my BMW's windsheild. And driving a POS getting revs from the ricers and middle fingers from the domestics, knowing that you have a nice car at home; so fuck the haters.
i wish work was through town... it's basically 'across the state'.
I woulda posted something a while back, but you all said everything I would have... but I wanted to say, keep the truck! Deffinatly!
yaeh, truck isn't leaving.

I agree with Slammed. Buy it. If I were you and had the 2500 to spare, I would buy it also. It will save you money in the long run and if something happens to it, it's not a big deal. Plus, it's better if someone (God forbid) plows into this civic than into your M. Sure things like insurance, maintenance, etc are factors to take into considerations, but its always nice to save money during the week and then take out your real car on the weekends. That way you won't rack up miles on the M and decrease its value, and you'll appreciate it more after driving the slow ass civic all week :D
:werd:
Will you bring the BMW back to autocross ?
back? it's never been. lol

i'd like to go... mornings suck
Wow funny you posted this. I went out to test drive some cars yesterday because I am spending over $500/mon gas in the Audi at 18mpg and over $4.50/g.

I drove a 2008 VW GTI which seemed to get about 26mpg, and I going to drive a 2006 Jetta GLI with Nav and a 2008 Civic SI.

Even if my payments go out 40-50 bucks i figure ima save atleast $200/m on gas with better mileage and cheaper gas.

But yeah dude i would go with a 3rd car for gas mileage.
you're trading in the audi all together for a civic/etc?

Biggest thing I like about this, it lowers your demand on gas.
yup. it's the green thing to do :D

You're paying for it cash, the insurance won't run you shit, it's a GREAT price, the car is in good shape...shit Brian, DOO EEET!!!!

Now you'll be set whenever you do need a car. After I got my hatchback I started thinking on when and if I needed to haul something more than groceries around I could probably do it in the hatch. If I could afford a truck as well, I would get one too. ^_^

You also wanted a gas saver, so once again, Honda for the win! SWOOSH! :D
:D

Actually, $2500 could get you a near mint 1G CRX... 38 or so MPG, over 50 if it's an HF... RPR would take you in. :)
too old. i never liked the 1st gen... the seating position and the pedals are weird.

I doubt B wants a lack of power options, ac, and cruise control, especially for a commuter.

yeah, i'm gonna want at least a/c and a comfy seat.

Yeah thinking about getting rid of the audi all together, very sad about it but now that I will be paying all the bill myself, i have to figure out ways to save.

My Audi gets 18/mpg plsu i use high grade

I can get a 06 Jetta GLI 6pd that gets 25mpg and uses low grade i can save like 150-200 bucks a month if i can keep my car payments with in 40 dollars

Make a hondaswap project car. You're long overdue anyay.

Say, a 90 crx hf, bare bones, stripped for weight, skinny/hard tires, lowered a bit, everything built/modified for efficiency. Could be fun, would be a site project to bring hits, and is a key issue right now. Which means even more hits. Set your sights on maximum aerodynamic efficiency, mileage, and say, 60mpg / 80hp.

that would be really cool.

45mpg+, beating most new car figures, while costing under half the cost of a new vehicle.

Say, a 90 crx hf, bare bones, stripped for weight, skinny/hard tires, lowered a bit, everything built/modified for efficiency. Could be fun, would be a site project to bring hits, and is a key issue right now. Which means even more hits. Set your sights on maximum aerodynamic efficiency, mileage, and say, 60mpg / 80hp.

I'll donate my stuff. I'm not building mine anytime soon.

Anyone wanna donate CF body parts ?

could be used as a tax write off

that would be nice ubermileage car and a tax write off slap some hondaswap stickers on it and you'd get mileage and depreciation. Well maybe one day.

demand is down because of prices.

i think GM said they are down 35% on sales of SUV's and trucks compared with last year.

because more people are buying smaller, less fuel is being used....

but, that's off topic :D

you think i should wait and see what happens?

Its a $2500 car. Its almost depreciated fully already. If you can pick up a fuel efficient car, under market value, then you should be able to save some gas money for the time being and in the future you'll be able to resell the car should conditions become brighter.

Depending on how much you pay for the vehicle, sales tax may have you a bit upside down when you go to resell the car.

I calculated that with a 4mpg difference between 25mpg and 29mpg, while driving 20,000miles a year I'll save $450 with gas prices at $4/gallon and $550 with gas prices at $5/gallon.

Also, to do a proper analysis, calculate in the depreciation on the M3 if you were to rack up the miles. Would the value drop more than $2500 in a year?

IMO, $2500 is worth it...

If you decided after winter that it isn't what you needed/expected, you could easily sell it and get your money back, and use it to find something else...Depending on what the market/economy does, people will have the same idea as you do and would be willing to pay $2500 for it in a few months...

Seems like a win/win all the way around, regardless of what you do with it after you get it...

well, she's not emailing me back, so who knows. lol i hate sellers. wait over a full day now

well, she's not emailing me back, so who knows. lol i hate sellers. wait over a full day now

I'm hoping that it's not sold already. I've had people whom I've been interested in purchasing things from keep me waiting for a while, then respond out of the blue, letting me know that their shit was sold eons ago. Freakin' idiots! I'm really hope that's not the case with you, Brian. It would suck to miss out on such a sweet deal.

Back